Yamaha SR250 Restoration - Built by a schoolboy

Nice bike and build, I had one of these in the 125cc version and passed my test on it a couple of years ago. They are nippy and reliable as long as you do regular oil changes with good quality semi-synth bike oil. Don't be tempted with cheap asda car oil.

Regards

Cheers for the information/advice guys, it's all appreciated!
Swivel, i have had a go at trying to get somewhere mechanically: firstly realised that the starter motor wasn't working due to worn down bushes, so bought some new ones and repaired that, then ran the battery dead making sure it was working well. So that went back on and the battery was charged. Then i tried turning the engine over, (first mechanically just to get things used to moving again after a few years of sitting gathering dust), then by the starter. All seemed pretty good, though i've got one (possibly major?) problem, the bike's stuck in gear.
I've tried to get it into neutral when the bike's just sitting, and it won't budge, and i've also tried shifting it when i've had the starter turning it (stuck to short bursts so i didn't damage the starter or run the battery down too much). When i fiddle with the clutch, not much seems to happen, i can't feel anything. So, any advice for me? Possible diagnosis, things to try to rectify it, etc...

Cheers in advance, Ben.

Sometimes, because a bike isn't used the clutch plates stick together and won't allow a gear change. Rock the bike back n forth in gear to get some movement in the clutch pack.

The clutch can be a bit fiddly the first time you set it up...
when you pull the clutch lever; this pulls the cable towards the handle bars and operates the clutch to disengage drive.
When you release the lever the opposite occurs. You need to note the position of the operating arm(on the left case) when you release the clutch lever. It should point to a raised dot on the case. If it doesn't then the clutch will have to be adjusted from inside the case with the centre screw and lock nut in the centre of the clutch pack. It doesn't tell you this in the owners handbook that came with the bike.

dude.. would love to know where you got your replacement bolts for the engine as posted on page one!

Hey mate - I had this problem...it occurred after fitting a new starter motor. You need to re position the gear indicator cog (not sure what its called), it's just to the left of the clutch......it's on the outside of the gear box and the gear selector pedal rotates it for gear selection. If it's in the wrong position, you can't get out of first.

When fitting a new starter motor it somehow (god only knows???) threw this out of alignment.

I can't tell you the correct position...but I found an exploded parts diagram through some frantic googling and just lined it up the way it was displayed in the picture.

Hopefully that helps - PM me if you need more info, good luck! :-\

T

I am delighted to see a young man with this passion. We need more like you.
Great job!!!!! 8)

Back
Top Bottom