[ISSUE SOLVED] Frontright turning signal failure '81 CB125s 12v conversion

RoyalRider

2010 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - 1982 Honda CB125s
[SOLVED!!!] Issue was caused by bad ground where the dashboard lights insert into the dashboard seen here : http://imgur.com/a/DgcfE just needed to push those bulbs in further and now everything works. Went for a fun ride :p

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance and for reading :)

http://imgur.com/a/npPGg Picture of my wiring diagram for my 1981 Honda CB125S.

Important info: Recently I have upgraded my 6v to a 12v system and followed steps detailed on this forum from other CB125s users. Components changed/swaped : added 12v relay flasher, 12v headlight, removed 6v R/R and replaced it with a Sparck Moto 12v R/R single phase as recommended by a representative who posts here. Also changed the 6v cell battery for a Bike Master tru-gel 12v 4a battery. This is it here : http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-custom-motorcycle-electronics-parts-small-12v-sealed-trugel-battery-78-0531.html

Since the bike is 36 years old the wiring is a little ratty so I bought new brass connectors and replaced a good amount of them. I also put in a 20amp fuse. I should be using a 15amp one but they are hard to find and I can only buy an 8 dollar pack that has a single one. Decided to buy the 20 amp pack of 6 for 3 bucks.

All the electronics on the bike now work and I am super happy except for the front right turning signal. It WAS working, then I went for a ride and it suddenly stopped working.

Steps I've taken to diagnose the problem:
- Removed the bulb and put it into a different turn signal. Bulb worked so it's not broken.
- Used a multi meter to check continuity on the single wire for the turning signal. Continuity check determined the wire was in working condition.
- Replaced the brass connectors for the male tip of the turning signal wire and replaced the 3-way female connector for the right turning signal from the main wiring.
- Changed the order of the connectors on the 12v flash relay. No change. So went back to how it was.

Oddity that I noticed : when I use the left turn signal both signals front and back work. When I switch it to right side, front right turn signal does not illuminate but the rear one does but the brake light also flashes. I don't remember the brake light flashing with the signals and it doesn't when it is set to left. I tried unplugging the rear brake light to see if it was screwing with the front turn signal but it just stopped working and made the rear turn signal stop too.

I am just looking for what might have caused such a strange issue? I luckily found a shop in my town that does electronic repair so I just want to know what could be causing this so I have more information when I bring it to the owner to try and fix.

I was thinking maybe it is the ground but I disassembled the turn signal and it would appear that it simply grounds by the metal rod that extends it from the bike touching the headlight bracket. It is indeed touching and tightly screwed in.

EDIT
I'm desperate to fix this so I can go out and ride and have posted on a few forums. I was recommended to attempt this procedure and will do so and report back :

To test this (earth connection):
-Make sure the neg terminal is disconnected.
-Remove the diffuser (orange plastic bit) and bulb
-Screw housing back into the bike where it will operate. Don't worry about connecting wires yet.
-Test continuity anywhere on the frame to inside the socket. There will be 2 spots inside the socket where the bulb contacts. One of them will be the earth.

I'll give this a shot tonight and report back.

Re: Frontright turning signal failure - yet good connection, continuity, bulb.

UPDATE

Got home and I sanded down the headlight bracket where it meets the turning signal rod and screw. I also sanded down the surface on the rod. I used a metal wire brush attachment for a drill and just went at it. The bracket had a good amount of rust and now it's almost all bare metal. No problem was going to be re-painted soon anyway.

So after I sanded it and screwed it back in tight and connected the wires the damn thing works!!! ;D 8) :)

But if you knew me in person you'd know I have some of the worst luck and so I figured "alright let's hook up the headlight and go for a ride to grab some pizza!" hook everything back up and...

Now the front right turning signal is back to it's previous inoperable state.

This is baffling to me I don't know what the fuck...without the headlight plugged in both sides front and back turning signals work. With the headlight plugged in both left turning signals work. When switched to right side the front right doesn't work. I can't imagine it's due to power draw or something otherwise neither side would work? why would the right front turning signal demand more power or something? they all have identical bulbs...

Completely stumped here and unable to ride :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

If your brake light was flashing at some point it sounds like there's a crossed wire / short going on. Check all the wiring inside the headlight bucket to see if there's any open wires or shorts there. Especially where the looms enter the headlight bucket.

And ensure all colors are plugged into like colors. It's very rare for one color to plug directly into another.

There is no headlight bucket. I am using an aftermarket 12v headlight which does not have space for wiring inside the bucket. At the moment all of the wires are splayed out underneath the headlight between the forks. I can clearly see them and have checked their connections over and over. I've been working on this bike for 3 years and am comfortable with the wiring diagram, this issue is not caused by me accidentally putting the wrong wire into the wrong connector. I agree it's rare for one color to go into another color but as you can see in my diagram that happens for the headlight switch highbeam wire which is blue/white going into a white wire connector with a blue marker on one end and a yellow marker on the other going into a yellow/white wire for the alternator.

Right now the problem is that when the headlight is plugged in the right front turn signal will not function. I did not test to see what happens when the bike is running because I was working late at night and didn't want to wake the neighbours. I will have to try that and report back. I will also see if the PARK setting on the key ignition changes things.

What is very strange is if the issue was that the headlight was drawing too much power, wouldn't it cause all the blinkers to be less bright? Instead the left side blinkers all work and are fully bright while the front right doesnt work and the rear right is lowered in brightness. When the headlight is unplugged and all of them are working the brightness is fine.

You're saying the headlight is on when the engine is off, or the problem happens when the headlight is just plugged in to the harness?

If the former, then you definitely have wiring issues.

If the latter, I'd be willing to put money down on a bad ground.

All the turning signals work and flash bright when the headlight 3 wires are not connected. White for highbeam switch, blue female that receives 2 male connectors one from the highbeam dash light and one from the headlight switch, and green ground.

Appreciate the support guys really you have no idea how frustrating electrical gremlins are for me.

Fuck this is kinda embarrassing but because I was so excited that I was about to get to ride and then really angry/disappointed when it didn't work it kinda scrambled my memory.

I'm quite sure the headlight is not on when the key is turned to ON and there's power but the engine is not running. I will try again tonight and write it down so I don't forget.

I'll come back with info on what happens when the engine is started, what happens when I turn key to park, and what happens if I unplug both left and right front turning signals but keep the headlight plugged in.

I'm not sure which ground could be bad because on the front of the bike there is one frame ground that is very secure and very much working. There's grounds for all the turning signals and I fixed the one that was troublesome by sanding down the mating surfaces. The headlight ground goes into a 3-way connector for other grounds. That connector is working since other components that rely on it illuminate.

If you look at the wiring diagram in my first post the headlight has a ground that goes into a connector that receives the horn ground and the ground for the dashlights. The neutral and turning signal dash light work. I have not tried to see if the highbeam dashlight works...is it possible for the turning signal dash and neutral indicator dash to work if that green wire wasn't grounded? If so maybe that 3-way connector is the issue. If not...then it's not ground issues causing this problem.

I'm very much a visual learner so here is the wiring diagram with edits to explain what I mean : http://imgur.com/a/F1xEG

;D

Alright I managed to solve the issue. I was working on the wires removing old connectors and installing new ones when I tugged on a wire and my right front turn signal started working again. Carefully tugging on many wires it went out and came back a few times.

So it turns out that the bulbs that illuminate for neutral, turn, and high beam were not properly seated into the underside of the dashboard causing a bad ground. Pushed them in harder and taped it up for a temp fix and it's working now. I was able to go for a ride :p and that made my weekend. Will be disassembling the dashboard soon to clean it up and make sure everything is properly seated.

Here are pics showing the underside where it was badly connected : http://imgur.com/a/DgcfE 2nd pic shows the rats nest I was dealing with hahah

I just want to say I am very grateful that people on this forum attempt to help out first-time learners like me that is very kind and I really appreciate the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom