Put on side covers
Put decals on tank

STILL TO DO
Gt center stand spring
Repaint and mount front fender

REMAINING PROBLEMS
Even with copper washer on sump bolt it still leaks

b21de0c7ba9da41b7d22d3105da24cb4.jpg

Regarding that copper washer, did you use a new washer? If it was an old one, did you anneal it before you torqued the plug? A work hardened copper washer will not seal. You may know this already, but I thought it worth asking.

Hmm. It is a brand new copper washer and i haven't annealed it, although it may have been done beforehand. I'll try see what i can find.

Thanks for the tip jmm.

damiansd said:
Just read up on annealing. Seems I should anneal the washer to soften it.

Yes. Just get it glowing red hot and you'll be good to go. In the case of copper, you may let it cool slowly or quench it in cold water. For our purpose, it should be sufficiently softened either way.

Thanks to JetMechMarty I no longer have an oil leak from the sump bolt.

New problem: starts easy and runs well. Once stopped it will not restart. Noticed that fuel filter had no fuel so bought one in hope that this is the problem.
72735a817f8c038911d74c4ff434a975.jpg

Fuel filter fixed the lack of restarting.

Four more gremlins:
-oil leak at back of engine. This is a Jawa flaw. There is a pipe that runs from rear of engine to swingarm to keep the swingarm lubricated. In my case it iust keeps my garage floor lubricated.

-petcock leak. A bit more work required with the teflon tape.

-oil leak around header pipes. Just cranked down the exhaust port bolts and am crossing fingers.

And the most significant
-clutch pulls in letting the engine spin but the only gear it lets me find is 2nd.

Oil leak at back of engine fixed
Oil leak at headers almost fixed
Petcock leak fixed
Clutch still unsure

To top it off, the key stopped working

Disassembled, I can't imagine what the problem is.

607b23dd92f78776a3a0b88164bd747b.jpg

And

65eed1ef58b48b3d03d0edc200808e19.jpg

Some work to do.
D.

Ignition switch fixed ready for remounting.

Speedo cleanup next.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hi,

you've done really good work. Thumbs up :) I also have some Jawa bikes, Jawa is still very popular in Czech Rep. Now I'm going to build theJawa "Californian" almost from nothing :)

Here you can see some photos of my bikes :)

http://longr.rajce.idnes.cz/Jawa_50_555/
http://longr.rajce.idnes.cz/Stadion_S_11/
http://longr.rajce.idnes.cz/Jawa_350_354_kyvacka/
http://longr.rajce.idnes.cz/Jawa_500_OHC_Kyvacka/

Maybe I can give you a hint about the ignition. I was not sure from the photos, maybe you did it.
You have a two-outlet coil. Could be used for two cylinder bike. But when you're using it for one cylinder, you have to ground the second outlet. Use the high voltage wire and mount the end under some screw on the frame. If you won't do it, the coil will "die" after some time.

And my best experience with the ignition timing. I realised that the best timing of spark for classic petrol (European octane number 95) is 3,6 mm before the top position of the piston.

Good luck with continuing ;)

Thanks Ondrej,

They are some beautiful bikes.

I have the second connection on the coil connected to ground on the battery. So that should be cool.

I've made a beginner mistake. The forks are back to front. When I went to put the fender on, the cable guide was on the wrong side. Hoping to rectify that this weekend.

Cheers,
D.

Some final goodies arrived.

Chrome petrol cap
Steering damper cap
Centre stand spring
Some relays for stuff

b66c2f71cc04382fa912496e1bcb2066.jpg

Looking good man, not long now.

I nominated you for bike of the month as well. It has been seconded as well.

Newbie front fork issue - fixed
Key and kill working together - sorted
Centre stand spring - installed

Still waiting on new speedo cable. Next week hopefully.

Time for a little more backstreet testing :)

Back
Top Bottom