1972 Honda cb350 restoration

Delucom

Hello all,

Just recently purchased this 1972 Honda cb 350 that was in running condition when I purchased it. I plan on doing a restoration to almost original condition over the winter. Don't really have much experience restoring bikes but I am michanically inclined and willing to learn. This is going to be a learning process for me and hope to learn some good pointers and tips on here.

So here she is the day I bought her. Starts on first or second kick. Runs a little rough but I plan on doing an engine rebuild. Few minor electrical issues but nothign to bad. The rear tailight doesn't work and currently has no blinkers. Besides that she's all there and ready to be restored. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 451
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 388
Are you doing an engine rebuild or just an overhaul? A rebuild is much more complete.

that is a beauty good project !!
have you done a comp test ? good idea before taking it apart.that and you might consider at least attempting a tuneup valve adjust etc just to get a baseline feel and some experience with that.it should make it easier to deal with down the road
the factory service manual is quite good you need that

As of now I'm thinking of doing top end rebuild. I feel I mine as well rebuild the engine while I have it out. A compression test is actually the next thing I want to do. Just waiting to borrow a compression tester from a friend.

I agree with the above stuff so far. One thought however, if you are newer to bikes, and compression is good etc, why even do a top end refresh? Clean the engine up good, clean the bike, tidy up things that need it, and ride the darn thing! Although, if you want to tinker, these bikes are relatively easy to work on and there are LOTS of places to go for information and help (you've come to the right place) Good luck with whatever you do, I've always loved that paint :)

I have never rebuilt a 4 stroke engine before and it's been something I have wanted to tackle. I'm gojng to open the motor soon and see how things look. Then make a decision on what to do. Thanks for the imput guys!

So about a month ago I started tearing down the bike. This is what I have done so far.

I completely stripped the bike down to the frame. Tried to baggy and label everything o could. I have to say the wireharness did scare me a little. It wasn't that bad until I got to the birds nest of wires in the headlight. It was obvious someone has been in there before. So I just tried to label as many wires as possible before I dissasembleed the harness completely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 399
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 400
Next thing was to sandblast the frame and prep for paint. Bought myself a sand blaster from harbor freight for 35 bucks and worked great. Only downfall was the blasting media was 50 bucks for 50 lbs and I was going threw it quickly. I searched everywhere and couldn't find it any cheaper. Finally found that tractor supply carries 50lb bags of blasting media for 7.99. So i stocked up and blasted the frame and all parts I want to paint.

This wasn't the finished product but it's the only picture I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 386
I then cleaned the frame with some denatured alcohol and hit the frame with 2k two part automotive primer from Napa. Then sanded with some 400 grit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 363
Over the weekend I inhit the frame with some gloss black automotive paint and was very pleased with the results. Hopefully it holds up well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 351
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 363
Disassembled the front forks planing on replacing the fork seals. Was shocked when I noticed the fork tubes had springs on the exterior of the tubes. Everything I had seen online showed forks with springs on the inside of the tubes. So I did some more research and found out that the 68 - 71 year models have springs on the outside. Still not sure why my 1972 cb350 has 1971 style forks. Was the bike built in 71 and titled in 72? Also noticed some rust on the fork tubes but I don't think I have anything to worry about since it looks like its above where the oil seal will slide. Here are some picture of the forks, the rust ad some before and after pictures of the fork bottoms after cleaning them up. I sanded with 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and then buffed using some red rouge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    908.1 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.8 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 373
How many miles on the motor? You will want to address the cam chain and tensioners when you have the motor apart. Many go with the KA slipper from BoreTech as a replacement.
Honda no longer offers the smaller one of the rollers.

Nice project, BTW. The 350s are great to learn on.

While waiting for some oil seals to arrive to finish the front forks I decided to try and pop out a dent in the fork tube cover. I failed. Anyone have any opinions on how to fix this dent. Just so you know te spot that it is in I can access from the back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 338
So I finally got a chance to do a compression test on the engine. Since the engine is out of the bike I obviously did the test while the engine was cold. Results came back good. Both cylinders measured 150psi. Next. I think I will check the valves.

So does anyone have any opinions on what I should replace when I open up the engine. im definitely replacing all the gaskets and the cam chain tensioner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 363
man you are fast ! yer doing a bang up job too
i wouldn't replace anything unless worn out
ok on the top end all the things to check are in the FSM service limikt specs etc
here are things that i feel you should pay close attention too:
the cam journals,basically the running clearance its a little tricky to measure the journals
i have seen a few heads with valve guides worn out
condition of rockers both end and cam lobes of course
minor cam lobe pitting can be stoned,but not pitting in followers
defo a new cam chain and tensioner,might as well get the aftermarket slipper one
camshaft axial play should be looked at then set it at the low you can do it with a dry assembly on the bench ,with just the rocker box, jounals, new gackets and cam
pay attention to the small rod ends just make sure they be good
thats all for now get back to work

Thanks for the help xb33bsa!

So my fork seals finally came in. Since the uppers of my forks are extremely pitted and rusted I didn't want to slide the brand new fork seals over it. I decised to sand up to 2000 grit and then wrap the rusted area with plastic and slide the fork seals over the plastic until they got to te lower part that was nice and smooth. Worked well and the seals seem to be fine.

Now before I dismatel the top end I wanted to clean up some of the sludge off the engine with some degreaser. Now the engine I plan on soda blasting or bead blasting once I take it apart but the casees im thinking of soda blasting or bead lasting while its altogether so I have less exposed openings that soda or bead might get in. Does anyone see an issue with blasting the cases while the engine is assembled?

Anyone have opinions or think this is a bad ideas?

More picture to come.

Here are some picture. Anyone know what the hole is in the case at the bottom. Directly below the flywheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 360
doing it assembled should be fine just make sure no beads inside soda you can use,inside, water disolves eh ?
it will stain like a moffo handling it from then on it will be so pourus why not just dummby together the empty cases for the paintwork/blasing ?
that hole is just drain over to sump if you are going to paint the engine dont paint it,coat it see kg coatings gun kote
it is so much better than paint
the rear axle works to pull the rotor off the crank

Back
Top Bottom