Yet Another 400F build

Re: YA400F build - some of it's going back together

crazypj said:
Just one question why YA400F?

Sorry. must be the geek in me. It's a common acronym in the industry for "Yet Another...", seeing as there's a few going on around here.

cheers
ian

Re: YA400F build - some of it's going back together

LOl 8)
Which industry? ;D

Re: YA400F build - tank-stripe vox pop

Well, been laid up a bit, but managed to re-assemble the motor in 465cc form, and fired her up. Took all of about 15 seconds on the starter I reckon. I post post vid. once my DSS replica exhaust arrives ::)

In the meantime, I've been experimenting with paint.

masked.jpg

Don't worry, it ain't checkers ;D

I've actually tried a FOOSE finish on the silver, and brushed it in one direction with a scotchbrite, then cleared. I could probably make it work better, but this is just a mock-up and it doesn't show at all in the pics :mad:

It's actually a bit of an homage to the mighty CBX tank.

paintedBlack.jpg

I've run some red pin tape down the sides which should tie nicely with the red pearl frame I think I've settled on ::)

My dilema now is the age-old "do I run the stripe against the edge (as on the left-side of the mock-up), or leave a silver margin like the right-hand side?"

This is where I'm asking for input guys, so don't be shy.

closeUp.jpg

Just to put it in context a bit, the motor is also black, and as I mentiond, the frame will be red. Thinking of satin black side covers to match the stripe, and of course the CBX ;D

tankMotor.jpg

Oh. ignore the extra long plug lead - I'll trim that later ::)

cheers
ian

Re: YA400F build

Oh, and while I'm at it, I was wondering if there's any 'common' points for frame bracing while I have the welder out ::)

cheers
ian

Re: YA400F build - tank-stripe vox pop

Nice work so far. Pm Kanticoy, if anyone knows where to brace, he will

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Re: Yet Another 400F build - tank-stripe vox pop

Maritime said:
Nice work so far. Pm Kanticoy, if anyone knows where to brace, he will

Yeah, I've been throught the celeste thread and he talks of bracing, but nothing specific. I've given it a bump, but I think he may be between 'internets' somewhere.

cheers
ian

Got my repro DSS exhaust. Finish is really good, but there seems to ba a problem with number 2 aligning with collector.

DSSExhaust.jpg

May have to return the pipe?

It also bit me! Lesson: don't reach around from the off-side to turn the (relocated to under-tank) key off without sleeves :)

burn.jpg

Cheers
ian

Hey man! Sorry about the lack of reply! To be honest (and I'm ashamed to admit this!) This is the first time I've seen your thread! Bravo on what you've got going on man, looks stellar!

As far as frame bracing, unfortunately the weak point in our baby 4's is the stamped steel spine. It is the Achille's heel of the bike and allows for a little bit of slop in the ride. The rear is actually pretty well fitted being of the double cradle variety meaning that it has the down tubes on each side. It is good practice to unify the shock towers on the rear by bracing between the two with something but the cheesy 16g seat "perch" that goes between them. A rear hoop can do the trick there, as can a piece of tube that joins the rear towers directly between them. Where you're going to feel the most slop is in the front steering tube because it is enclosed stamped steel with a single front down tube. I am going to be removing the entire spine and replacing it with steel tubing to eliminate this problem, but that is not particularly the easy way to accomplish the bracing. On gretta, I reinforced the welds along the stamped portions and hoped for the best.

The common practice for race bikes with stamped steel frames was to use a CR style tank with what is referred to perimeter bracing. This joined the steering neck to the rear down tubes underneath the tank. Much akin to the way that the RC166 was done. Minus the engine being a stressed member of course:

rc166-2.jpg

This of course can be done, but it gets difficult. Here's a race bike Rick Denoon featured on his site. Pretty nifty, but some serious frame and bodywork mods:

http://www.denoonsp.com/frame-study.htm

This completely eliminates the stock tank. The one one this bike is hollowed out and just a skin and uses a bladder in place of the original that the tank "skin" covers.

Honestly, unless you are REALLY pushing it you're likely to never notice the flex. I noticed that you have upgraded the forks, and that is the best thing you could have done.

Those 33mm forks are the handling killers in the 400f. Upgrade the shocks, put a good fork brace, good bushings in the swinger, and dial all of that in and she'll be on rails.

Kanticoy said:
Hey man! Sorry about the lack of reply! To be honest (and I'm ashamed to admit this!) This is the first time I've seen your thread! Bravo on what you've got going on man, looks stellar!
This of course can be done, but it gets difficult. Here's a race bike Rick Denoon featured on his site. Pretty nifty, but some serious frame and bodywork mods

thanks man. all good info.

I'e since contacted Rick on another list, and he's reviewing his perimeter frame CAD drawings to see if he can accommodate the stock tanks - even if we shift it up abit. He's hopeful we can get it to happen. I'd be happy with that.

cheers
ian

Gee these ignition plates are easy to use ;D If you can pick one up, I'd certainly recommend it. It even has a built-in LED timing light! how cool is that!

ignitionSet.jpg

bye bye points ::)

cheers
ian

Accent Electronics - it's a German company.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Accent-Electronic-Ignition-CB750-CB500-CB550-SOHC-/270808579291?item=270808579291&vxp=mtr

http://accent-electronic.com/ELZ2Coil.html

400F frame is very similar to 360 frame and flexes in the same place.
I posted pics where 360 needs a brace in my 360's thread

crazypj said:
400F frame is very similar to 360 frame and flexes in the same place.
I posted pics where 360 needs a brace in my 360's thread

Thanks PJ, I'll check it out.

cheers
ian

Guess what the next job is:

wheels2.jpg

yep. Take all this stuff to someone who knows what they're doin' ::)

Just kidding. You'd have to have a go wouldn't ya? What could go wrong? I've seen the youtube how-to videos.

Unfortunately the first step will be to prime and paint the hubs because they're just not cleaning up all that well. They will be the same silver as the (mock-up) tank.

ian

Yet Another 400F build - tank-stripe vox pop

Ian who did your boring and which 466 kit did you go for? Going to do the same on mine and currently looking at the $150 deal rather than the Aussie $300 one.

Also any more info on the front end swap? What hub did you have to use? Does it sit higher than the original? Do you use the same triples?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom