Honda XR650L "El Conquistador"

T.Stanley

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hello DTT!!

I picked up a 2004 Honda XR650L off craigslist last year with the hopes of building a tracker one day. It had been sitting in my garage for almost 6 months before I decided to tear it apart and rebuild it. I've always preferred the upright seating position and will be building this project as my go-to bike for short and fun rides around town. I ride my other project bike (El Matador Build) more than any other bikes in my garage since it's easier to ride but more importantly, comfortable.

This bike is the most expensive bike I've purhased to start as base for a project. However, this is also the first USED bike I actually picked up and rode home. She ran great and best of all, CA titled....hassle free. She wasn't in the greatest condition cosmetically but hey, I got her for a STEAL.

Plans:

Rebuild Subframe
New Tank
New Seat
Rebuild/Lower Forks with Linear Springs and Gold Cartridges
Custom Works Performance Rear Shock
New Front/Rear Excel Hoops
Bucannans Spokes
Powdercoat Componenets
Rebuild Motor

Day after picking her up:

Got to work with setting up the height and stance:

Excel 19 x 2.15 Front Hoop
Excel 18 x 2.5 Rear Hoop (took 4 months special order from Excel Japan)
Powdercoat Stock Hubs
New All Balls Racing Bearings and Seals
Custom Bucannans Stainless Steel Spokes
Bridgestone Trail Wing 101 - 110/80/19
Pirelli Scorpion MT90 - 140/80/18

Lowered the bike 4.25 inches with PVC piping to test and measure front stance. I will be eventually be using Delrin spacers to lower it internally and with 47kg Eibach Spring. With the combination of the linear Eibach Springs, lowering 4.25 inches, I will end up with a final spring rate of 63kg setup.

Stance:

Had some work done. Evan @Iron Cobras Fabrication in Long Beach, CA is the man!! Thank you!!

Custom 2-1 Header with Cone Engineering Exhaust -

- Cut off and refab rear subframe
- Handmade Aluminum Rolled Rear Fender
- Aluminum Battery Box
- Aluminum Seat Pan
- Custom Tank Mount
- Tabs for Rear Fender, Rear Brake Reservoir and Rear Brake Master

hurco550 said:
nothing better than a large c.c. thumper

Are you sure....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,921
Re: Honda XR650L "El Conquistador"

I stand corrected.

What are the laws/requirements in CA for making a dirt bike street legal? How does that work with motor vehicles? I'm in New Jersey BTW.

Thanks,
John

edelweiss said:
What are the laws/requirements in CA for making a dirt bike street legal? How does that work with motor vehicles? I'm in New Jersey BTW.

Thanks,
John
This bike is street legal right from Honda.

Most states have provisions to legalize non-street-legal-from-the-factory bikes as long as you have all of the necessary lights, horn, etc. to be considered legal, then registering the VIN.

Back
Top Bottom