xs500 thingy-mah-bobber- (Rolling teaser pic)

peetacheeta

The bike is a 1975 xs500b. It's my first build and ive been learning. Bike was rougher/ dirtier and rustier then i initially thought.
I got it running in just a cpl hours when i brought it home, then started tearing it apart.
plans keep changing in my head but i think ive got a path now. stretch it!
xs500b.jpg

1319915225745.jpg

1319916950009.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Re: xs500 thingy-mah-bobber

So i moved the bottom mounts of the rear shocks 4 inchs back on the swing arm giving the the shock an angle and lowering it about 2 inches.
I then decided to cut the swingarm and extend it 4 inches(saw a cpl posts about it) but when i looked inside it was much different then the bikes i'd seen. The weld went right through along the whole arm, so i grinded my inserts down to fit on each side of the weld nice and snug (see pic)
01282012076.jpg

03132012196.jpg

03132012198.jpg

03142012199.jpg

looking forward to seeing how this one comes along, keep the pic's coming.

Got my 21" front rim in and some stainless spokes front and back.
first time lacing
02232012163.jpg

02232012158.jpg

02232012162.jpg

A lot of scraping, grinding, paint and some time later: now i have to attempt to true them
03052012174.jpg

21" front, didn't see that coming :D whats happened to the swingarm? all welded up? ???

That swingarm stretch looks a little iffy. Search "stretched swingarm" on the forums, you'll get a lof of opinions. Generally, cutting the tubes is the sketchiest option, with or without inserts.

yep it's all welded up. sorry i;'m bad at taking pics as i go. just snap some with my phone here and there.
You can't see in the pics but i drilled holes on the sides of the arms and welded in the inserts. they go in over an inch. i put some heavy welds on there so i think it should hold up.
i'll be doing a lot of work so i'll post pics soon. and some goodies came in

So i got my tank in a while ago. An old late 60's glass tank. Got an older harley headlight, grips/throttle and a 120 link 0-ring chain.
Also started on the frame rails:
KGrHqRrcE88g9dqpTBPVUPrV8BQ60_58.jpg

KGrHqVHJEwE88eJ2PLSBPVUQFuDQ60_58.jpg

Extended the bottom frame rails, so i moved the upper shock mounts back 4 inches to keep it all lowered 2inches and giving me more room to sit. Gonna cut the tops now and lower them on the rear frame rails to form a nice seating area(you'll see) if you think it looks iffy im going to weld in a few triangles where the rails meet to strengthen it.
03192012202.jpg

after:
03272012233.jpg

MAKE SURE YOU LINE THAT TANK WITH A MODERN ETHENOL RESISTANT PRODUCT OR YOU WILL RUIN IT!!!!!

Ringo here on DTT swears by Caswells liner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-NORTON-BSA-HARLEY-INDIAN-CASWELL-FUEL-AND-OIL-TANK-SEALER-/261008583186?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc552ea12&vxp=mtr

Look mup his CB550 and you'll see why I will always listen to him when it comes to glass work and the proper handling of it.

xs500 thingy-mah-bobber

What's the look you're going for with the build? The 21 inch front and stretched frame has me scratching my head on how it's going to look. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Building the same bike but in diff way realy cool seeing someone take it another way ! Keep it goin man looking cool !

VonYinzer said:
MAKE SURE YOU LINE THAT TANK WITH A MODERN ETHENOL RESISTANT PRODUCT OR YOU WILL RUIN IT!!!!!

Ringo here on DTT swears by Caswells liner.

Yep, already spoke to caswells, They have a place a few hours from here so i can get it shipped quick and cheap.

As for the look of the bike, i guess i;m just following an image in my head and see how it turns out.
Trued my wheels, took apart my forks for shaving and lowering and ordered some rubber. hopefully have it rolling soon so i can finish the rails, line up a seat pan and fender

Ha! I'm building one of these too! Well, more or less... You're definitely moving in,a different direction, but your stretched swingarm has me thinking...

So i shaved down any unused tabs on the forks, sanded and painted them. Then lowered them 2 1/4". Got my tires in and couldnt wait to get them mounted and on the bike to see what it looked like. The tank needs some cutting to fit better, so it's just sittin on there for the pics. whataya think?

05092012306.jpg

05092012310.jpg

I can see it now. This could look awesome, but how you do the seat is going to be critical to how well it ties together. What are you thinking for the seat.

Have to say i like the way its heading ! Olny thing i would say is might have a problem with the rear tire could rub the bottom of the seat on any nasty bumps on the road . Might want to make sure you have the room back there to keep it safe man .

DreadRock said:
Have to say i like the way its heading ! Olny thing i would say is might have a problem with the rear tire could rub the bottom of the seat on any nasty bumps on the road . Might want to make sure you have the room back there to keep it safe man .

+1

You should hardtail that thing man. The TC Bros kit for the XS650 would be easy to modify so that it worked with your frame... Just a thought.

The first thing i did was move the bottom shock mount back to lower the bike, then it kind of just spiraled out of control. I did think about hard tailing before any mods but didnt wanna mess with something that didnt fit an xs500. Plus i have a xs650 that i plan on hardtailing next (not a fan of the tcbros kit tho).
After i moved the rails down in the pics below i knew i was in trouble with the seat and the fender. i'll have to think of something to give some more seperation.
Do all the ppl with brat bikes (soft tail with fender so close to tire and seat) just deal with bumps and rubbing problems?

05102012313.jpg

I had to replace the top shock mount bolts as one was stripped and the other broken by the P.O (worst job yet)
05242012320.jpg

06042012331.jpg

06042012338.jpg

I wanna sit in front of the rear tire as apposed to on top of it. oh, made a bracket and mounted my headlight too
06042012341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom