Marble Rattle Can Job?

gordo2472003

Been Around the Block
Ive been checking out a few videos on youtube about how to give a tank a marble effect using spray paint and plastic wrap. Basically you apply a solid black base coat, then let that dry. Then apply a light coat of silver and immediately cover the new coat with plastic wrap to get the marble effect. After that you simply apply whatever main color you wanted to the tank to be. Most of the jobs I've seen have turned out fantastic and I wanted to see who here has had success with this.

It's been done for decades. Shoot the base,cure, shoot the top color and while wet lay the plastic wrap down and press it into the wet paint and immediately remove the plastic wrap. After full cure, clear coat and buff and polish.

That may be an oversimplification of the process. A marblizer is added to the second base color to slow down the drying process and allow you to manipulate it. Candies are usually used over this.

And after all this work I would not use simple rattle cans because they are not durable and will not last if you ride your bike. They do offer two component colors and clears in a spray can nowadays and the extra cost is well worth it to protect all your hard work--cuz proper prep work is 85% of the work.

Back
Top Bottom