removeing decales

irish44395

I have a 1982 nighthawk getting the covers and tail ready to paint and finding it hard to remove the decals. I tried heat from a hair dyer no luck there looking for some ideas to get it off without mucking it up.
thanks Pete

Aren't they buried under clear? When I prep'd my last project for paint I had pin striping to remove which was buried under the clear.
I ended up using a razor blade to take it off then had to do quite a bit of sanding to blend the surrounding clear down to the actual paint level under the pin stripes. It was a pain but the only way I could see it happening.

They make plastic razor blades for this purpose.

ez-grip-plastic-razor-blades-100-count-2.gif

The heat gun helps soften the adhesive to scrape them off.

Thanks guys I started sanding (by hand) got a lot of work ahead. Tied the hair drier again. having moderate luck but still a chore.
Pete

I pulled the Kerker sticker off the muffler yesterday and it left behind the very thin doublestick tape used to secure it. I just hit it with the propane torch and it burned it right off with no residue.

I've had good luck with sharp/new razor blade...carefully get under the decal and with a little practice large areas/strips can be removed. Xylene works good to breakdown sticky residue and sometimes works to soften the whole decal if left on it to soak. Depends if your trying to save paint on how how aggressive you want to be.

irish44395 said:
I'm thinking that I'm going to need one
Thanks
Pete

They're cheap and come in really handy for a lot of projects. Definitely a great addition to any tool box.

$10, chuck it up in your drill motor and it does a good job of removing the decals without hurting the paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Eraser-Wheel-Pad-For-Pinstripe-Removal-Decals-Adhesives-/331541652477?hash=item4d316c23fd:g:L7UAAOSw~bFWHA0c&item=331541652477&vxp=mtr

Back
Top Bottom