Anyone use Vinyl stripes on tank?

mr vroom

I am painting a Benelli Mojave tank - from India with a rattle can.
Nearly done - and hope to eliminate a little orange peel with sanding and several 2k clear coats.

My original plan was to paint a stripe on the top. Today i discovered vinyl stripes of the sort I has planning to paint. Looks a lot easier. And with a few coats of clear coat hope to smooth out the final finish.

Has anyone tried anything like this?http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAKE-1-2-3-4-5-6-widths-CUSTOM-VEHICLE-VINYL-RACING-STRIPE-DECALS-/272142878514?var=&vxp=mtr&hash=item84ef8beddb

Attachments

• stripe.jpg
    stripe.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 301
Much cleaner lines with vinyl, just make sure you can get enough coats of clear on it to sand away the edge smooth. Try and get them to use the thinest material they can for painting. I use vinyl under clear powder coating all the time.

Pretty much every major motorcycle manufacturer in the world uses vinyl decals. As o1Marc stated, do it right and it'll look better than just about any home paint job.

Thanks a lot. Seems like using the vinyl decal is a no brainer. Now I dont have to worry about pulling up the tape to find a messed up stripe.

mr vroom said:
Thanks a lot. Seems like using the vinyl decal is a no brainer. Now I dont have to worry about pulling up the tape to find a messed up stripe.

You can use the same decal as a stencil if you wish, where after you spray the color and it dries you fit the decal stencil to reveal the underlying color. Sometimes it's easier to do the different colors in a different order. If you scheme was red with white
stripes i would shoot the white, decal it and then shoot the red, pull the decal. If you did it by shooting the part red and then painted the stripe white it might turn pink from the red bleeding through. If it were white with a red stripe I would paint white, decal the red stripe and clear coat it.

How did the tank look out of the box? I just placed an order for one and wasn't able to find too many reviews on the quality?
Did you pressure or leak test it before painting? Any internal coatings?

On the stripe painting. Use a few light mist coats on the edges before you start hitting the clear heavy. The solvent in the wet paint will peel the adhesive if you are not careful.
If you are already red and want to paint white, put a few coats of clear to stop the bleeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tank needed a bit of bondo prior to priming. Didn't pressure test it but did treat the inside for what might have been flash rust. Not sure what it was. The outside was slick with oil. The aero plane cap is kind of crappy. Will not close flat and will probably replace it. However, faults aside, it is beginning to look beautiful with yellow paint and soon to arrive vinyl stripes

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 303
Re: Anyone use Vinyl stripes on tank?

Application was a disaster. Couldn't avoid a number of creases and popped bubbles . Looks good from a distance , but am hoping that many Coates of 2k clear will disguise the imperfections

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 306
Back
Top Bottom