Powder coating wheels

scotch_egg

I am back on my cb350 build. I will be asking quite a few questions In the coming weeks as I try to complete it for summer.

I have seen a few builds where the wheels appear to have been powder coated as a complete unit spokes and everything. What prep would I need to do before having this done on my wheels?

It would be the quickest and simplist way of tarting up the heavily rusted rims. Thanks I advance.

Seriously now, I don't think that's a viable course of action. If you're gonna powdercoat then you will need to extract (and then replace) the wheel bearings, retainers, seals and spacer and personally I think it's a bad idea to powdercoat spokes in place. Those are dynamic - need to be adjusted and tightened, and it's just not going to work well.

If you're just after a nicer appearance for your wheels, get some regular old aluminum foil, wad up a small ball of it and spray your wheel with WD-40. Now go after the chrome with the ball of foil. You will likely find that the rust is emanating from relatively small spots and once it's removed like this, they don't look all that bad. If you keep them clean and waxed after you get them tidier, they will stay pretty good-looking for a while.

Chrome is friggin hard stuff and I think a powdercoater is going to balk at trying to etch it for coating anyway.

I was at the same point recently, and I decided it was worth it to take apart the wheel and powdercoat it in pieces. It's not hard to relace a wheel and true it if you know what you're doing, and you'll get a much better finish in the long run. Noble is right on the bearings too, the oven will not be kind to them.

I've powdercoated over chrome, it is possible. Can't say too much for longevity, haven't had the stuff in use long enough to see how it holds up. I just roughed it up and cleaned it real well before coating, the finish wasn't nice enough to polish in the first place.

If you got the time and space and are determined to powdercoat, I would dismantle the wheel. My two cents

If you're going to just PC over a complete wheel because it's "easy" then you may as well just hit them with Appliance Epoxy paint.

hillsy said:
If you're going to just PC over a complete wheel because it's "easy" then you may as well just hit them with Appliance Epoxy paint.

This is an excellent point. And not really a dis either. Or Plastidip.

What these guys are saying is no you cannot powdercoat the wheels whole.
Ass hillsy pointed out what you want to do it to blast them, or remove the rust in some other way, and then tape it all off and give several good coats of Appliance Epoxy from Lowes. They stuff holds up really well.
It's not powdercoat bt any means, but if it scratches or you have to adjust a spoke you just shoot a little more on and you're good to go.

Folks I really appreciate the replies. I will get the aluminium foil out and see what I can do.

I am a proper armature and haven't heard of appliance epoxy paint. I'm sure we have it here in the uk so I will look it up.

Funds are tight due to recent arrival of my second child. This has been the kick up the arse I needed to get back on this project. It was bought when my first child was born 2 years ago and I didn't realise where the time had gone!!!

scotch_egg said:
Just thought is that epoxy paint any good for the tank?
Eh not really.
You need a good 2k clear for anywhere that gas is going to be hitting.

But that being said I had epoxy paint on an engine (covers) with a chronic fuel leak and it looked good as new after a year or more of fuel exposure, so It may be fine.

Back
Top Bottom