1977 CJ360 gauge rejuvenation

Trevor May

Been Around the Block
I had a few issues to address when it comes to my gauges. In no particular order, they aren't well lit. Also I'm Canadian and so I ordered new decals from Sparck Moto with big km/h numbers instead of mph. Also I didn't really like the faded dark green stock colors. I didn't take any pics before I started, but I did later.

First pic: I get an opportunity to cross-hobby, which makes me happy.

Second: First completed gauge, on the table, using the natural light streaming into the kitchen as a preview.

Third: A Pair of gauges mounted back in their home. That is a diaper pail in the background, which is a clue to how I spend MOST of my free time.

Fourth: I switched the background lighting from a single LED bulb in the stock spot to a long row of LED's mounted in some flexible sticky stuff. Much brighter.

A few issues came up. I took apart the tripmeter while trying to get the speedo gauge face out. I spent some (hours) time teaching myself how the whole thing went back together and finally got it back together, working, and reassembled in the gauge. My speedo rattles in the mounting bracket, so I took a 1/8" off the spacers in the back and now it clamps down nice. Wife doesn't like the smell of cutting wheels. Also I don't know how to post messages between the pictures. I tried a couple things, but haven't figure it out yet.

Attachments

• IMG_9017.JPG
    IMG_9017.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_9018.JPG
    IMG_9018.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_9022.JPG
    IMG_9022.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_9024.JPG
    IMG_9024.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 817
Nice work... I'll prolly go down a similar path (white face) but might use pale blue led strip for back lighting..

Oz350Four said:
Nice work... I'll prolly go down a similar path (white face) but might use pale blue led strip for back lighting..

Strip light! That's what they're called. Blue was available, but some day I would like to paint it all red again and blue would clash. Big picture.

Streaker said:
Looks good! Do they come apart easy?

For every action there is a reaction
Thank you!

The plate on the bottom needs to be cut out because the plastic is formed over it. I actually used a heat gun on the bottom to take them out but it wouldn't work to put them back in. I filled the part I cut out using a black polyurethane adhesive that is like silicone.

Back
Top Bottom