What's going on now over at Ichiban Moto ?

Re: Ichiban Moto : Yamaha 500 cafe racer build

"it cost $20 to recycle a vehicle battery in my area"

Interesting, Autozone actually PAID me $5.00 to turn mine in.

Don't recycle it, take it back to a battery shop. Most will either pay you or at the least take it for free!

As in the video above, I had already used the disposal kit. ;)

I think the auto shops charge a fee because lead recycling is heavily taxed by the government (?)

In Ohio I pick up every car,bike, Tractor , battery I can find and take them to scrape yard for 5 bucks a pop ! Helps pay for parts ;D

I spent a lot of time on the front end of the bike. My new brake pads arrived, so I installed them. I modified the front fender for more of a café racer look and also lowered the front down a bit. Next I will fix the carbs so I can get the bike running ! :D

Here is the video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/fxPzvTYpm0k

There are some fantastic XS500's on this site if you do a little digging. It's been said many times before, but if you want to have a quality build you need a ton of either time, money, or skill. If you can't afford proper clubmans, scrounge scrapyards for bars off other bikes that might fit. If you have the skills, fab your own. Flipping the bars isn't going to work. I love seing another XS build, so do it right.

You really should slow down a bit. If you need some clubman bars I have a few and will send them to you. Just pay for the ride.
I own a 74 TX500 and love these bikes. Just make sure what you are doing is a safe modification.

I never wanted clubmans. The bars are good as they are.

What I do need is to get the carbs fixed so I can get the engine running and make sure everything works ok

So let me get this straight .... You want guys that KNOW what there talking about on these bikes for help and someone offering clubmans for shipping and you don't take a sec to think it thru ! Then you slam the front end down ( which you should only go no more then a inch ) and think its will be safe and ride nice ?
I understand you might be on a budget but please don't cut important corners then again its your ass on the line and not anyone else's !!!!!!!!

Sir we are not being mean we are just trying to help you build a safe and enjoyable bike ! There are things that you can cut corners with and things that should be done right or bad things can happen !

I'm gonna be mean too.

Upside down bars are stupid.
Clubmans are stupid if you aren't going with rearsets, and only slightly less stupid with rearsets.

Are you joking about that front ride height? You're joking, right? That's a joke.

Lowering the back? Can you do basic geometry? Do you know what happens when you lower the bike and what it does to cornering clearance?

I'll be back with more mean-ness later.

Ichiban Moto said:
why is everyone here so mean :-\ ?

Why dont you go over to caferacer.net

I'm sure they will be much more friendly and praise you for building a bike that won't function safely.

this bike is a movie prop. it's something that from 15 or 20 feet away, slightly out of focus, looks like a cafe racer as the main character walks by.

This thread is just like all the other threads started by someone who just wanted a thumbs up, because they were going to do what they were going to do, regardless of how many people told them it was a bad idea.

Now that everyone is "being mean", ichiban will probably just take his ball and go home, and make comments about us being bullies.

Ichiban means first, right? So is this your first bike? Maybe you should take the advice from those here trying to help.

Ichiban Moto said:
I never wanted clubmans. The bars are good as they are.

What I do need is to get the carbs fixed so I can get the engine running and make sure everything works ok

Well, the offer is out there. I don't believe flipping the bars is safe and designed to be used that way.

Thanks, I'm fine with the bars as they are now, if I change my mind, I will let you know ... cant' beat free ! :D

What I could use help on is finding a bottom to one of my carburetors. The part is missing on the carb that came with the bike. I did find a second carb the same size and have them mounted up though. I also fabricated velocity stacks.

Here is the video that shows the carb install and also shows what I need to be able to put gas in it and fire it up for a test ride !

http://youtu.be/rBXe2FV9WnE

this is a joke right? plastic velocity stacks held on by zip ties?! JB welded carbs?

Back
Top Bottom