76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: 76 CB360, Of course...this sucks.

Rich Ard said:
What has happened between now and when it was running strong? I don't recall that you've made any changes recently.

I took her back to formula. stock boxes. filters, the works Its harder to make her run good this way than it was w PJs magic and pods. good god.

Are you confident you're looking in the right place? Advancing ignition timing can give you false readings for A/F. It will read lean. Are you running electronic ignition or points?

What condition are your filters in? If they are partially restricted that could effect things as well.

Sent from my brain using telepathy and Tapatalk

deviant said:
Are you confident you're looking in the right place? Advancing ignition timing can give you false readings for A/F. It will read lean. Are you running electronic ignition or points?

points, and yes I keep on top of them. They are dead nuts. just checked em again this past sunday.

Foolishdreamer said:
What condition are your filters in? If they are partially restricted that could effect things as well.

filters = good.

All fingers are pointing to the inevitable; rejoin the dark side and put PJ's voodoo carbs back in. It's not a bad life.

deviant said:
All fingers are pointing to the inevitable; rejoin the dark side and put PJ's voodoo carbs back in. It's not a bad life.

Just mailed him the stuff yesterday (original parts he modded, needing updated to his latest concoction)...If I had just a little more time. I would be doing just that.

The bike runs 10 times better and is 10 times easier to tweak once he dances, chants and waves his hands over them.

setup I pieced together. not pictured is the equalizer link goes between the boxes cut from the old battery tray...but its in there, also. Every box seal and rubber is nice and pliable w no rips, cracks or tears. And new clamps.
Filters are as clean as they come...I can see sunlight through them from the inside.

11494-080514060820.jpeg

I have no problem jetting these things to lean them out.
The problem is when I am good in the rich zones I am too lean in the other areas.

or, good in the lean zones, too rich in the opposite spots.

there is no happy medium.

So basically where Im stuck is..
If I take any jet down one size to lean a rich spot. I loose control of A/F (too lean), She dies on take off (too lean) or Too lean on acceleration. and even still she will be a bit too rich at 2000 and 4000 rpm.

A regular reader of my blog that I email w alot. Tore a hole in his diaphragm last fall. Replaced em and now he is having some rich problem spots. just the same.

I'm assuming your compression is good, have you checked your valve clearance lately? Or could you have a bad spring? Just throwing out guesses man, making sure all the boxes are checked.
Is there any way to check the mechanical advance?

I was looking at a set of Ninja 250 carbs for another project (my brother's SRX600), and I was thinking of how much work it would be to install those on a 360...

Or throw a pair of Sudco Keihin flatslides on it...

Foolishdreamer said:
I'm assuming your compression is good, have you checked your valve clearance lately? Or could you have a bad spring? Just throwing out guesses man, making sure all the boxes are checked.
Is there any way to check the mechanical advance?

Yep, comp is 155 -cold, advances fully and smooth as silk, valves are good.

plugs, wires, coils, battery is all good. Chain and headlight both good, lol These keihins are just sensitive as shit to change. I can see why they were only around 3 years.

Did you ever hit the kill switch at 4K to find out if plugs are wet?
That's the transition point where things go wrong.
I made a micro drill press and intend to make some 'experimental' secondary emulsion tubes to lean out mix on transition, just haven't had time to do it yet
Carbs will get fixed if they are the problem

crazypj said:
Did you ever hit the kill switch at 4K to find out if plugs are wet?

Carbs will get fixed if they are the problem

No I have not. But I can. If I run her at 4000 for 30 seconds, I know without looking they are black. LOL

Yes, yes they will.

76 CB360, Dusting off the thread.

Finally, Dusting off the old build thread

Ordered a pair of nice looking S/S mufflers from DCC.

I am hoping these live up to their name, Quieter Core.

Baffled and chambered.

right out of the box I am delighted, they are gorgeous. nice brushed finish and beautiful welds.

11494-060115043907.jpeg

dont come with any brackets. So, I plunged my arm elbow deep into the scrap pile and pulled out a piece of S/S square tubing.

Drilled it, cut keyholes w 4" grinder.

11494-110115073532-699366.jpeg

11494-110115073532-6981984.jpeg

Amazingly S/S carriage bolts fit nice first try.

11494-110115073532-6961530.jpeg

They aint perfect, got some small grinder nicks, whatever.

11494-110115073532-6972235.jpeg

Ready to drop off w my buddy Gary for welding.

11494-110115073532-6821859.jpeg

Also, ordered a pair of custom assembled Hagon shocks. Hopefully they arrive tomorrow.

They looks luvverly 8)
Neat bit of work on brackets.
Are they completely 'smooth' as supplied?
Still having rich issue at 4K?

crazypj said:
1 They looks luvverly 8)
2 Neat bit of work on brackets.
3 Are they completely 'smooth' as supplied?
4 Still having rich issue at 4K?

1, thanks, Im really impressed w the construction, quality and finish.

2, thanks Im pretty pleased w turnout of the brackets.

3, If you mean weld seam on mufflers, yes, smooth as the homecoming queens ass. you can barely see the seam, only by slight discoloration.

4, Throwing out the JBM diaphragms, and replacing them w New Honda diaphragms.
Fixed it instantly. It runs amazing now. Got great 02 levels throughout entire rpm range. ;D

Im sorry those damned JBMs caused us so much grief for the past year...but who would have thunk they would have such an effect. They were letting the slides max out, too quick, to far w too little vacuum. Dumping too much fuel into the mix too early.
Then once they did rise. They would stay up there way too late. Wouldnt drop back down until rpm, vacuum was practically nothing.

heres a shot of the welded seams in the mufflers.

11494-110115152230.jpeg

Sweet. I wish they came with the brackets, but I understand why they don't.

deviant said:
Sweet. I wish they came with the brackets, but I understand why they don't.

exactly. Im just glad they didnt have some piece of crap welded to them. Like they did on the bike they show on the website.

they didnt even try to make it look nice. lol

11494-110115160015.png

Re: 76 CB360, new mufflers & hagons coming soon.

Got the bike poised and ready for the new arrival. (hopefully today)

11494-120115040630.jpeg

I ordered a pair of Hagon shocks from davequinnmotorcycles.com

Dude is a pleasure to work with. It took a couple emails to get the requirements sorted out. He was very quick to get back to me. And knows a hell of a lot more about shocks than I ever want to. He offers several different styles and you can mix and match parts chrome/black to suit.

Hes got common use shocks already assembled and ready to ship OR, At no extra cost. Dave builds them according to what you need. They will arrive w the proper size eye/clevis setup for my 360. He takes into account the weight of the bike and rider/passenger. Riding style and preference.

He wants you to be happy the first try.

We are starting out w a firmer spring/damper. To account for the added leverage of the longer swingarm. Hopefully we got them right the first time. However, if something needs adjusted, I can send them back up to 2 times at no extra charge, for fine tuning.

I hope the weather channel is right on the forecast. I might be able to go for a test ride this weekend.

Freezing rain all day yesterday and last night now snowing on top of all that ice ! 40 will feel tropical 8)

11494-120115041112.png

Re: 76 CB360, new mufflers & hagons coming soon.

shame to hear the JBM diaphragms were such an issue....I've used them on quite a few carb restorations on a bunch of different bikes with great results....xs650, xs850, xs1100, kz750, gpz1100....

Back
Top Bottom