Where to go from here? ('76 CB360T)

orlandoc1

So I've had some work done on my '76 CB360T over the past few months to get it rideable and reliable, and ive been riding as much as possible. With the winter coming up, I wanted to take the time to put some serious work into it to make it great, ive got a budget of around 3k but minimal tools, almost zero know-how and quite a bit of time. I was wondering if there is some points for someone with no experience trying to get into it, as far as replacing parts, wiring and rebuilding? Thanks in advance

Honestly Google nets alot of answers to my questions or just searching forums. Anything you want to do has been done before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tell us a little about what's already been done? That will help determine a good starting point for updates and upgrades.

Djfob said:
Anything you want to do has been done before.
You mean stuff like build a 30 year old off road Honda 3 wheeler specifically for the street and riding it 1300 miles cross country on the highway? Yep it's ALL been done. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

O.P., post pics of your bike. Good for you for coming here and asking questions before posting up a hacked bike.

Your budget is plenty strong to build a nice bike. It is also strong enough to be squandered on stuff that makes your bike worse. It does take a patient and open minded approach, but that is where its at, thats the core of the hobby. It costs nothing to study and do research, and it is fun.

Enjoy the whole process.

The 360 responds very well to increases in displacement and compression.

69mm pistons with a decked head is a good option and will cost less than a grand.

Venturing into the two grand range will also get you a hotter cam and larger exhaust valves. Your pistons may need to account for the increased lift on a hot cam.

Sorry I had to kind of posts and run, ended up traveling longer than expected so it was a bit before I could get back to the bike with pictures and everything. So ive got the album here: http://imgur.com/a/dyiFD
Theres a couple of things id like to do right off the bat, including work on the handlebars/gauges, move the ignition up top if possible, replace filter box with pods, and some cosmetics. The bike does have a hard time starting when its been cold a few days or so, need to charge it up for quite a while despite having a new battery, so maybe a new wiring harness? Any and all help appreciated.

Start with the cosmetics, from what I see your bike has been "previously enjoyed". Break it down and spend the money on a professional paint job. Renew the fasteners with stainless steel ,have the engine blasted,,etc etc. If your mechanical abilities are limited, ask for help or hire someone. The bike will always hold more value down the road if it's original as opposed to some hacked up mess :eek: Leave the air box on, store the original exhaust ,and install a sweet sounding two into one. Hmmm that reminds me ::) I have an unstuck cb350 out back....that will be a retirement project ::) That's my two peso's

I can't remember exactly the price, but I'm pretty sure it's less than $150: Send your carbs to CrazyPJ to run on K&N 1850 pods. It's a relatively cheap performance upgrade that will net you quick and obvious results. Not too hard to get the bike to blast beyond 105 - 110 mph with this one upgrade. When you get the carb modded, also get heavy duty cb350 clutch springs from Bore-Tech. They're really CB500 springs. There are several oil system fixes that take care of the 360s oiling deficiency. Look at your engine's serial # plate. If it's got two dimples, then it was likely done in the 70s. If not, buy a CJ360 pickup on eBay to take care of the bike's issue with idling on the side stand. There is also a well documented oil mod that PJ has shown many of us. It's in his 360 thread, as well as mine and Trek's. Check your cam chain tensioner and make sure you have the post-recall version. If not, or if yours needs replaced, then order a set from Sparck or Common-Motor. I believe Common-Motor gets theirs from Sparck. Common-Motor is a great resource for 360 owners, btw. From there, you have a great base for a fun scoot. If you want to get into bigger displacement and performance cams, I would do this other stuff first.

No dimples on the 1976 model. They came from the factory with the improved tensioner and rocker arm shafts.

Sonreir said:
The 360 responds very well to increases in displacement and compression.

69mm pistons with a decked head is a good option and will cost less than a grand.

Venturing into the two grand range will also get you a hotter cam and larger exhaust valves. Your pistons may need to account for the increased lift on a hot cam.

You don't need bigger exhaust valves but 1mm larger intake valves are a great idea, particularly as the ports can then be reworked in the bowl area.
The 69mm bore is the best improvement you can make but finding pistons is becoming difficult (particularly since the NOS ones that took forever to sell on here are now sold)

Back
Top Bottom