O ring chain to wide?

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hello everyone.
Working on a 76 gt250. I purchased a 525 o ring chain. I put it on and it's too wide and hits the case. It measures .940" on the outside of the rivets where my stock chain measures around .740" outside the rivets. Can I just not run an old ring chain, or are there other "sizes" of narrower o ring chains?
Any help would be appreciated!

Its a common problem. Run a normal chain or look into a narrower chain/sprocket conversion if available.

Tim said:
Its a common problem. Run a normal chain or look into a narrower chain/sprocket conversion if available.
Thanks Tim. You wouldn't happen to need a new o ring chain? I have one brand new and CHEAP lol

Sadly no. I run 520s on my XS and SR. Conversions from the stock 530 size.

You might be able to get the sprockets further out from the engine and wheel. The countershaft sproject may have a spacer behind it (SR does) and offsetting the wheel sprocket would be simple enough. You need 0.100 inch I think to match the stock setup?

Re: O ring chain to wide?

I thought about doing just that. The only problem I see it that the nut that holds the sprocket on the countershaft comes out flush with the end of the countershaft when assembled. The nut is about .325" thick, so a spacer will make it so there is only .225" of thread. I know there shouldn't be much load on that nut, but it makes me a little nervous.

Thoughts?

You don't wanna do that. Just run a standard chain. They put more power on the ground :D

Or like tim said go thinner. Are you wanting oring specifically for some reason? chain life I assume?

Yep, chain life and less maintenance is the sole reason I would go with an o ring. They definitely take a bit more power to get them bent around a sprocket though don't they.

What year is your bike? I thought gt250s had a 520 chain. I don't know two stroke models very well. It also seems odd that your sprocket nuts sit flush on the threads when installed, if i am interpreting that correctly. I would think there should be at least some threads showing.

It's a 76. I had a hard time finding info on what chain I was supposed to use. I had a guy that had the same bike tell me it was a 525. I believe 520 chain has the same size roller though right?

And when assembled WITH the nut on the shaft, the nut is flush with the end of the shaft, not the sprocket
Edit: there may be one thread or so showing, but it's pretty close

There's no load on that nut. Just make sure the locking tab washer is in place to keep it from turning.

"No load" is an exaggeration. If there were no load then no nut would be necessary.

However, the locking tabs are regularly deleted and red loctite used instead.

Other than possible weight reduction in high performance situations, what's the benefit of loctite instead of the locking tab

hurco550 said:
Hello everyone.
Working on a 76 gt250. I purchased a 525 o ring chain. I put it on and it's too wide and hits the case. It measures .940" on the outside of the rivets where my stock chain measures around .740" outside the rivets. Can I just not run an old ring chain, or are there other "sizes" of narrower o ring chains?
Any help would be appreciated!

Ran into the same thing on the GT550. Gonna have to run a standard chain bud, the rollers are the same on the O-ring but the links may be thicker and then add in the O-rings makes for a fat chain... you could shim the sprocket, but then that creates other issues so really aside from offset sprockets, options are slim.

Turn the mountain back into a molehill. Use a standard chain. High quality chains like EK and D.I.D. can last a long time. Pay attention to the load ratings.

Thanks for the advise gentlemen, standard chain on the way. I am not totally opposed to shimming the sprockets out, but I world rather not deal with the headache.

If anyone needs 108 links of 525 o ring chain, let me know=)

While the chain solution is the easiest (the big guys rk, did, etc all list there chain dimensions. There are thinner and thicker o/x ring chains).

That being said offsetting the cs sprocket was blown out of proportion a little in this thread. The small amount you needed is not a big deal. Bikes with triple+ power run offset sprockets all day long. The general rule is anything over 5/8ths offset requires reinforcement from the opposite side. My Kz is 5/8ths but I still rocked an outer bearing support for comfort, plus being supercharged I felt it was worthwhile.

http://www.dgchassis.net/Outer%20bearing%20support/outer-bearing-support.aspx

Back
Top Bottom