My thumper - XL350 project

ABCanuck

Coast to Coast
This is my first thread and first project. Been on this site for a while as strictly a lurker and have really appreciated the laid back, friendly community and most the vast amounts of experience and knowledge you all have. So I received a '74 xl350 this summer and consequently decided to rip it apart. It was is pretty rough shape but I enjoy a challenge! I'll get photos up here as soon as possible, just waiting to get my camera back from a buddy cuz i left it in his car. Anyways, this winter isn't going to provide much of an opportunity to work on it (finishing up school and playing ball) but I figured I would tickle your brains nevertheless. I stripped the back completely down, and ripped into the engine. As described by my friend that gave it to me, he was driving down the highway when it made a bang and then stopped working. Haha, so probably not a good sign. Once I got to the valves it was obvious that they were completely shot, and low and behold, no piston left whatsoever. Nothing! couldn't believe it. Hoping I have a picture of it. Metal shavings everywhere but nothing else so there is probably some real nice chunks in the cases. So here's my question: Is it worth simply replacing the top end, tearing and rebuilding the bottom, or should I just look for a new motor altogether to slap in there and keep the other for the odd part? I'm hours from the city (insert canadian wilderness jokes here) but the one shop i did talk to had one with good compression for 400 bucks. Any thoughts, direction, and advice would be greatly appreciated! And I will try to get pics asap

May we never forget those that have fallen and served so that we might enjoy our freedom.

I'm actually build a flat track bike right now, from a '74 XL350 that is also really rough. Mine came with a fully functional piston however :) I've got a PILE of parts I've stripped from mine if ya need something, lemme know. I'll be watching this space man!

Welcome fellow Canuck.
8)
Both of you have XLs and KZs.
Does this mean an XL is in my future too?
:D

$400 sounds a bit steep for an engine, but if you can't get it anywhere else, then you haven't got much choice.
I'd think you could get a whole bike for that price.

I haven't seen a 350 engine on ebay for anywhere close to twenty-five bucks!! Guess I`ll have to keep my ears to the ground on that one. Problem is, shipping anything that size to canada is pricey, and wreckers up here are few and far between, and the ones that are around want ridiculous prices for any of their stuff. At least out here in Alberta that is. 87, an XL would be a lovely complement to that KZ :)

ABCanuck, Welcome to the board. Have you checked out the XLboard or Old Rice dot com. I have a 78 XL that I am planning on doing something with. Pics, Pics, Pics, please.

Ya I've checked both those sites, along with others but as far as whole motors go, everything is performance and would run like 2-3 grand. My valves are shot which is the biggest thing, but there is a rocker box on ebay right now for 70 bucks with valves that look like they could be cleaned up. Might be tempting. Sorry about the lack of pics, there are on my other phone which isn't here right now. Hopefully be able to get them this weekend.

Hey ABCanuck!

Welcome aboard. I'm also quite new here.... I'm currently working on a '78 KZ650.

Where in Alberta are you? I'm in Calgary.... If you see anything in Kijiji or the likes down in this area, I'd be happy to help out any way I can... (i.e. take a look, pick stuff up etc...) - I assume you have checked with TJ's in Cowtown?

Me and a couple of buddies are working on older bikes (KZ, XS and a CB) - hoping to get a ride sorted out through the Kootenays on them when the good weather arrives!

Good luck on the XL project!

Back
Top Bottom