Central Ohio, Lets meet

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have been talking with a few guys from the Central Ohio area and want to maybe have a little get together this winter. Meet in maybe Delaware to have a brew, swap some stories, advice, and resources. Anyone would be welcome, it would just be fun to get a like minded group of guys together. Any Takers?

hurco550 said:
I have been talking with a few guys from the Central Ohio area and want to maybe have a little get together this winter. Meet in maybe Delaware to have a brew, swap some stories, advice, and resources. Anyone would be welcome, it would just be fun to get a like minded group of guys together. Any Takers?

Count me in Levi. Let me know what, if anything, works out.

I'm terribly busy this winter with house remodeling/selling & moving/remodeling new 100 yr old house, but come mid May I am, as always, looking for company to do small group rides Southeast (Clear Creek/Hocking/Zaleski/Lake Hope/Burr Oak State Forest/Wayne Nat Forest & further SE) and sometimes East/Northeast (Coshocton/Mohican State Forest/Zanesville/Somerset areas) 35-45 minutes outside of Columbus.

I am thinking maybe old bag of nails in Delaware sometime mid February.
Chuck78, Mohican is one of my favorite rides. It is about an hour and a half away from where I live, but in the fall its beautiful. I wouldn't mind getting a group together to ride sometime as well.

Alright how does February 16th sound. Its presidents day, Monday night around 6?? old bag of nails in Delaware.??
Pass it around and let me know!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Old+Bag+of+Nails+Pub/@40.300904,-83.067325,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8838fad992dfce3f:0xce0e46fc7b23c835?hl=en

hurco550 said:
Alright how does February 16th sound. Its presidents day, Monday night around 6?? old bag of nails in Delaware.??
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Old+Bag+of+Nails+Pub/@40.300904,-83.067325,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8838fad992dfce3f:0xce0e46fc7b23c835?hl=en

Darn! Can't do a Monday; that's the evening my singing group has rehearsals.

I'm good for Monday. My buddy Chuck has a lot on his plate between the two houses so he will be passing on this one. Anyone else in?

I think ridesolo is back in. Ragweed may be if I can get ahold of him. Also got two more possible that aren't on here but still vintage bike buffs/

hurco550 said:
I think ridesolo is back in. Ragweed may be if I can get ahold of him. Also got two more possible that aren't on here but still vintage bike buffs.

Yup, back in... I'll be there.

hurco550 said:

Thought I'd bump this up and remind anybody interested that we're still on for the 16th unless the weather goes belly-up on us. Hope to see you there! (Hint: If I get Levi to let me drive it'll be worth the price of admission just to see the two of us pop out of my "clown car" Mini Cooper) :eek:

Lewis_29tn said:
Hope to join you guys. I'm from the Westerville area and hope my Brat kz550 will be reassembled by then.

We would love to have ya. Assembly not required... i know ridesolo and I dont have ours back together yet =P

We are going to play monday by ear guys due to the lovely Ohio weather. No need for anyone to get hurt trying to go hang out. Ill try to update the thread monday on whether were still on or not, or you can pm me for my cell #. Hope this snow dies down and we can go have a good time. Also if you can, let me know if your coming and Ill try to reserve a table for however many we have.
Thanks

Drey6 said:
I'm still in!

All right guys, I say were on. Looks like its gonna be cold, with a chance of snow showers, but it is Feb in Ohio haha. I will try to get there around 5:30 if I can to get a table reserved. Meet around 6. If you can't get there right at 6 I will try to get our table group named "do the ton" so you can find us.
So far I only have commitments from Drey6 and ridesolo, but there are a few more hopefuls.
Again if you havent already, please let me know if you can make it so i can try to get a table!

Drive safe and hope to see ya there guys!

hurco550 said:
Chuck78, Mohican is one of my favorite rides. It is about an hour and a half away from where I live, but in the fall its beautiful. I wouldn't mind getting a group together to ride sometime as well.

wow, I missed your reply to my comment by 1 year!
I have a little less on my plate now, but trying to sell my old house in spring so still pretty busy, and lots of friends' bike projects and mine.

do you guys make it to ama vintage motorcycle days every year? Best motorcycle event (of our likings) in this half of the USA hands down

Mohican is a good ride and great scenery, but just the beginning of good eastern Ohio hills. If you go southeast of Mohican a bit, there are some even (much) more fun roads over that way around Killbuck and south/east, East of Danville, around Walhonding Rd-OH715. 60, 83, 93, 541, some good county roads too. This area is a MUST RIDE if you are heading to the Mohican area.

The ultimate roads in Ohio are down in the southeast (Appalachian Hills region) corner near Woodsfield, Caldwell, Lowell, and Marietta, with a second place to the Hocking Hills State Forest and Lake Hope - Zaleski state forest areas. A bit far for you in Marion, but the roads WILL NOT dissappoint!
You should really try to get a cabin, campsite, or hotel around Hocking, Nelsonville, Athens, Burr Oak. Ride 2 days. Ask me for details. The Hocking State Forest primitive campsites are my favorite campground sites around, spaced out & private. Ask me for camping/lodging details & route recommendations for these areas.

One of the best roads to start your journey deep southeast on, OH-78 Scenic Byway, is amazing from just out of Nelsonville all the way to OH-555, "The Rim of the World" section high up on the ridge 400' above Burr Oak Lake - check out the views as you get to clearings closer to 555. "The Barn" next to an abandoned 1950's white Aluminum siding abandoned 1 story house boasts views that make you feel like you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a must-stop-and-stare unofficial scenic overlook down the road from the official overlook.

555 is super technical but not terribly flowing. 78 is good all the way to Caldwell but a little boring near McConnelsville. You can take it to OH260S to OH26 "The Covered Bridge Scenic ByWay" to Marietta and then 676 (great on the ends boring in the middle) toward 555, then link up to 377 back to 78. Great great ride, easier navigation than my personal ultimate twisties routes, plus excellent fun and scenery for most skill levels.

Around 26&260 and southeast from the hills toward the Ohio River are some more GREAT routes (255 is best, 260 again, Archers Fork Rd, Rinard Mills Rd, 800 (faster/easier curves), 556, Sykes Ridge Rd, & the very twisty oh-536 that will be 1 of the best road in ohio with the scheduled 2017 new pavement job. rough now and contains a couple of turns that will wreck you, especially the one after the stop sign at Sykes Ridge Road southbound, 1 mile or less down, 15mph max decreasing radius blind curve with elevation drop off sends MANY riders across the other lane and into the field. Not a beginner road! Bunch of mid speed curves with some occasional very tight ones thrown in to catch you off guard & ruin your day - USE CAUTION!

The Lake Hope/Zaleski area is great fun with nothing terribly technical but loads of good mid speed curves and hills. 278 straight outta Nelsonville, 328 (south of 56 is best), 356/691, all connected by 56 in the middle & 50 on the SW end. Two Mile Rd is another good one off 278&56.

Hocking Hills has some amazing routes on 374/664/56/BIG PINE RD btwn 374&664/Thompson Rd-Thompson Ridge Rd aka "The Little Blue Ridge" etc. I have a bunch of other awesome twisty county roads north of there (and a few on southern end of Hocking) around clear creek Rd area that I zip in & out of, some pretty darn technical, many chipsealed. This area is best hit on weekdays or off-season due to all the traffic generated by the hiking & cliff/waterfall sightseeing traffic, truly the most amazing natural region in Ohio. I hike here often and ride this ARE frequently - the good county roads start just 40 minutes south of my back door.

I ride all this stuff & West Virginia (Monongahela area especially - BIG MOUNTAINS!) as frequently as I can get out.

Drop me a line in the riding season if you ever feel like riding some great twisties in the Eastern/Southeastern Ohio hills, I love that area & riding the twisties.

I've been scouting some more roads out past Newark/Coshocton/Zanesville, found 2 of the best roads in the state just north of Cambridge, NOT AT ALL beginners roads tho.

Back
Top Bottom