My 1972 Hodaka Ace 100 Cafe/Race project w/Updated pics 1/17/09

bringing this back up, since im pretty much doing the same thing as you with a honda xl 175. As far as street handling, how did those enduro style forks ride with a smaller than stock front wheel?

haste said:
bringing this back up, since im pretty much doing the same thing as you with a honda xl 175. As far as street handling, how did those enduro style forks ride with a smaller than stock front wheel?

Don't know,haven't ran it yet. I'm still finishing up the small bits,mainly the seat. I'm REALLY slow on this project as it's a "gets done when it gets" done sort of thing.

The forks will have a brace made to fit to tie the lower legs together. I planed to do that from the start of the project as that's just one of the things that's a no brainer. I also plan to either stiffen up the stock springs,reduce the travel somewhat or just replace the springs entirely if I can't get them to react how I want. Thicker than stock fork oil may also go into the mix depending on the combo. I believe the Daytona winning Hodaka Ace had stock or stock size forks on it and it was clocked at over 100 mph on the straights,so I'm confident mine should at least handle 85 m.p.h. of so. ;)

The Wheels & Tires:
The smaller diameter wheel and shorter profile racing tire should help it turn in quicker,but probably not lighter. I won't lose much if any stability as 18" is still pretty big for the street. Also,the Hodaka being a Enduro machine and not a true street or race bike the steering angle isn't as steep which should also add to stability somewhat.

This same wheel/tire combo(CB350/450) is used on many converted bikes and this one came off of a Hodaka Wombat road racing machine. The owner of the wheel/front tire said it ran really well and there was no mention of any ill handling on his Wombat.

Our Ninja 250 runs 16" wheels and tires and I have ran it at over 95MPH true speed on long straights and it's quite stable,very stable in fact. The wind has more effect than the small rim/tire diameter as I suspect will be the case with the even lighter(by nearly 100lbs) Hodaka.

I would be much more concerned about the wind and the small tube chassis than the wheels/tires which are proven items. Many,many Honda 350s have went faster than even the hottest,breathed on Hodaka 100s. If anything the CB or CL wheels are overkill on a bike like this for the street and I'm certain it can handle a few Track Days a year with this set up.

If you think you need more stiffness than your stock fork tubes you could always just swap the whole front end of a CB350 or maybe a 450? I don't know the differences between those two if any in fork tube/ leg diameter or strength. I didn't go that route as I already had a good pair of forks.

I also didn't want to get into changing this piece which means I have to change that piece,which means I have to change that sort of thing. You know the domino effect. If I did before long it wouldn't look or be a Hodaka anymore. That's not what I am going for and I want to keep the essence of the bike intact,but improve upon it's obvious weak points. Other than putting a bar across the back to replace the rear frame/fender loop I didn't add stiffening braces to the frame or swing arm either. I want to experience as it is and evaluate it as such.

If I really get into this bikes I may fully modify a frame down the road and add stiffeners and brace the swing arm.
If I go to all the trouble to do that then I may go ahead and run a Combat or Combat Wombat. One like mine that has see better days,but still usable.

theres a new big review in the new motorcycle mechanics mag about the same model you have i think ??? not cafed tho :( ill try and get my scaner working and post it up for ya you got any updated pics :)

Re: My 1972 Hodaka Ace 100 Cafe/Race project w/pics!

Druro said:
NICE... i love the small bikes (as he moves his GS1100 around the corner).

I agree with Dan on the gauge. My only comment is the forks seem awful long, almost like they should be pushed up in the bars or something. Are those of the same bike? or were they off something else. It just looks like it makes the bike front end up a little high (the rake like)

Nice build. How much do you figure she weights?

why get a smaller one? keep the cost down dont even use a speedo at all, less is more.

Back
Top Bottom