1971 CB350 - slightly obnoxious

Re: 1971 CB350 "Copperhead"

It all makes sense after the 5th time you do it ;D I took my carbs off about 10 times before it actually ran right. Now, I'd probably only have to take them off 4 times :eek:

Well crap, looks like I just changed sub forums. My wife took me to the local bike shop and I surprised myself and left with a set of Euro bars. I'm also looking at making a low profile 2 up seat. I think it might end up being a brat style or something. Time will tell. I also picked up a really rad set of vintage Italian waffle grips for $7! Not sure yet if I'll need to replace the cables with shorter ones.

Lastly, in need of a stock left muffler. Having a hell of a time finding a decent one.

Spent the last two days cleaning up and polishing some replacement mufflers and found a surprise. What is the best way to deal with this? Looks like a hole burned right through my header.

preview_image_0_95359332x.jpg

Plan: I'm going to cut a patch out of the old holey muffler and jb weld it on and clamp it down. That will be fine until i replace it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-CB350-Twin-Jardine-Exhaust-System-2-Into-1-Belled-End-22-3277-9353-/120788142384?hash=item1c1f88c930&item=120788142384&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Great exhaust to use on this bike. Sounds great, and weighs less.

Got new bars, grips and mirror installed today. Love the grips! Vintage italian waffles. Unfortunately every time I hit the turn signal the fuse blows. I suck royally at wiring so this is going to be tough to track down. I suspect a wire right by the flasher, the PO cut the spade off and just had a bare wire wrapped around the terminal so it may have been grounding on the frame. I'm going to fix that and check it again. Now obviously it also needs new cables so I'm in the market for some stock length replacements. The ones on it are +6" for the high bars that came with it.

preview_image_0_30529642x.jpg

Turn signal sorted out. The flasher had grounded but on top of that the shop I had look at it put a 7amp fuse where a 15amp was supposed to be.

So I was at work last Saturday, and this very nice older gentleman that used to work there with me was having a conversation with
me and we starting talking motorcycles. I told him about the Suzuki I bought this year, and he started telling me about his son who lives out by Kensosha and how he had bought an old bike. A Honda CB something. He said it had big ugly handlebars on it and he was working on making it look a run better, but it was red and very clean. I finally put it all together!

LOL that sounds like my Dad! Unfortunately last time he saw my bike it wasn't running. He used to ride trials (trails?) and he's got a rad picture of himself riding. I'll try to get a copy and post it.

Small world we live in isn't it? Your dad is a cool dude- I miss having him at work, he was always fun to talk to & joke around with.
Yeah, I just know him as the touring-bike type, be interesting to see that photo ;D

By the way, bike looks great with the new bars. You been riding it much? I really wanted to have one of my oldies ready to go to Rockerbox this weekend, but time has once again pulled a fast one on me. Next year for sure. I'm still going, but I'll just be the guy who got there about 30 years too soon

Was riding the other day and got it up to around 40ish (remember the speedometer is just a suggestion) and it started to get real squirly. Scared the shit out of me! That was the first time I brought it up that fast so I assume the problem has always been there. Put it up on the center stand and spun the back wheel and it wobbles. I'm guessing the wheel is not true? It also needs tires so looks like I can kill two birds with one stone. Now I just need to learn how to true a wheel.

Yes, I'm still working on it! All those months ago when I last posted I sat down to true the wheel and made a grisley discovery. The rim is badly bent and it had 7 broken spokes. Took a while but I found a decent used wheel on ebay for $50 shipped. The spokes are pretty rusty but solid and it's already true. Bonus, it came with a Pirelli tire on it! Started hitting the spokes with a small brass wire wheel on my dremel and they are coming out nice. I also picked up a new set of cables to replace the long ones. Got them for a good price at Bike Bandit's black friday sale, but I got two black and one gray cable. Gonna shrink wrap the gray ones (including the tach and speedo that are on it now) black. Also planned is one of the carbs idle jet is really stuck in the carb and I think it's a bit gummed up. I soaked it in PB but the slot is all stripped. I'd like to pull it off and give it another shot, but I don't want to wind up ruining it with it stuck in there. Ideas?

Drill it out. Use a small bit to start, and increase size until you can pry the remaining brass out with a small screwdriver. I would get the new jet in hand before you start, so you can match up the largest size drill bit you can use, without wiping out the threads.

The nice weather has gotten me motivated to get back in the garage. The new wheel is all cleaned up and ready to install. I also picked up a used working, but rough speedo. Many thanks to BCBarker for the killer gauge faces!

Before:
IMG_0915.jpg~original

After:
IMG_0954.jpg~original

IMG_0958.jpg~original

Back
Top Bottom