My Stepside.

Redbird

Dolor est Magister Optimus
DTT BOTM WINNER
'86 Silverado (w/ the wifes '03 Yukon)

Hpim0986.jpg

HPIM0983.jpg

Hpim0989.jpg

Nice rides man! Love the Silverado, especially the flip-forward hood. The Hockey-sticks are subtle, yet really make it stand out.
Here are mine and the wife's GMT 800's.
(I should find some pics of my 76' Silverado too!)

Attachments

• GMT800s.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 680
Thanks. The hood is definitely a conversation starter. I fab'ed all that myself using '98 Buick LeSabre hinges and hardware.

I love stepsides and C-10s (that is a C-10 right?) I almost traded my MR2 to my neighbor for a standard bed '85... but after being really wishy-washy about it for a couple weeks he decided he needed cash.

Yes, it's a C-10. '87 was the last year for the squarebody. In '88 they started calling them "1500"'s. :)

thats awsome, i was gonna do a conversion on a bug using bmw hinges and hardware, and trying to talk my gpa to doing a front flop clip on his '56 ford pickup...but we'll see

Awesome truck, man. ;D I have a soft spot for the stepsides. My first vehicle was a 76' C-10 stepside. I wish I'd never sold it. :(

Very nice truck man. My buddy has a 71 C-10 stepside. Its cool. Came with the stock inline 6 and 3 on the tree. So far hes converted ot to a Hurst floor shifter, and theres a built small-block in the back of the garage that last lived in a pro street 57 chevy thats going in once hes done with his XS500. The truck sits about 3 inches off the ground, and he just picked up some vintage mag wheels for it. Pretty neat stuff.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here's a crappy cellphone pic from last night...

0312002125.jpg

Well, the Ol' Girl got hurt. A couple of weekends ago, I threw the bike in the back of the truck and headed to a benefit car show about 50 miles from me. After the show, on the way out of the parking lot I noticed she was running a little warm. So I kept an eye on it and continued on. Right about the time I got to the interstate, the temp started climbing. I eased into a gas station to check the radiator, thinking I must've developed a leak in a hose. When I stepped out of the truck I noticed puffs of "smoke" coming from underneath. I kneeled down to investigate, and I see it "smoking" out of one side. At that point I started smelling it. That sickening sweet smell of hot coolant. And I thought to myself "Oh that's not good". I figured since I was going to have to call a towtruck anyway, I might as well try and limp her as close to home as I could. So I topped her off with water, and pulled the dipstick... still clear.
She made it to about 10 miles from the house before the temp climbed high enough for me to pull over. I topped off the radiator, and pulled the dipstick again. This time it looked like chocolate milk. I thought to myself "And that's even worse". Being so close to home, I decided to just push on. Running mostly on only 6 cylinders, she drug her ass home under her own power ;)
I weighed my options of rebuild or replace for a week, and decided a GM Performance crate engine was the best choice. My bro offered up his garage to perform the swap. So once again I topped off the radiator, got her cranked over, and drove her the 10 or so miles to his house. And once again, the ol girl drug her ass there under her own power ;) I love my truck :D
Once at his house I snapped a few pics.

Blubblubblubblubbahblubblub...
(the sound of a V8 running on 6 and drowning in her own fluids)
11-8a_zps32f2f1b5.jpg

11-8b_zpsb3a68127.jpg

Milkshake anyone?
11-8c_zps196b95ab.jpg

These arrived Friday afternoon.
GM Performance 350/290hp
11-8e_zps58d0d227.jpg

Assorted goodies from Summit, Jegs, and the local parts joint.
11-8f_zpsf7cc5bc3.jpg

11-8d_zpse295b50c.jpg

Working solo, Friday was all about lump removal.
Almost there...
11-8g_zps370d37a3.jpg

Success...
11-8h_zps643e7d4c.jpg

And did it without removing the hood ;)
11-8i_zpsbced3558.jpg

Saturday and Sunday were all about Detailing.
Pressure washed.
11-9a_zps28a5d8fc.jpg

Mostly painted. (not all parts/brackets are shown)
11-10a_zps54d3b661.jpg

11-9b_zps090b511c.jpg

Unnecessary wiring removed.
(the truck was originally equipped with a 305 and an electronic quadrajet and distributor)
11-10b_zps77f2cbc8.jpg

I also got the old motor stripped of everything that needed to go onto the new motor.
Next weekend will see everything coming together ;)

Sadly, it wasn't really a big surprise. I don't know how many miles were on that motor when I bought the truck, but I put roughly 125k miles on it. It wasn't going to be long before it gave up the ghost anyway.

Quick update...

Some household issues, and parts crossover issues have delayed the rebuild a little. But progress marches on :D
Last Saturday saw the new crate motor go in...
11-23a_zps7cc43f3e.jpg

Two hours of wiggling/persuading the Motor and Trans around, I got them to mate back together by myself!
Anyone who has done a motor swap knows that, while not impossible, it's a whole shitload easier to do that with help ;)

Got the 1.6 roller tip rockers installed
11-24a_zps2b2a7be7.jpg

And here's how she sits as of this evening
11-30_zpsf89ee520.jpg

She's this ][ close to running! I apparently don't have the timing set right. I may be 180* out. I'm not sure. I just know that after rechecking myself and trying different scenarios, I couldn't get her to start, when she should've started. I messed with it until I got frustrated, and ran out of time, so I decided to walk away and start fresh later.
She'll be running next weekend for sure ;)

Damn, didn't realize I never finished posting up on the motor swap :eek:
She's been running like a top (with a few minor hiccups) ever since. She's recently seen a brake upgrade with drilled and slotted rotors, and braided steel lines. She'll damn near stand on her nose now.
IMG_6115_zpse725e0fd.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps4e198f61.jpg

While doing the brake upgrades, I discovered a leaky axle seal. So she also got new seals and fresh fluid.

Yesterday she did this...
FullSizeRender_zps707ef0a2.jpg

So I figured she deserved an updated photo ;D
FullSizeRender_zps1038534e.jpg

A Clean Truck is a Happy Truck ;)

Back
Top Bottom