DUCATI Race Car

Dale

Coast to Coast
There's a motorcycle mechanic guy who lives up my road who sets up a works on Ducati Race bikes out of his garage. He's pretty well known and respected. Was up there today, and this is what was parked in his drive.

The car is powered by an older carburetor Ducati motor. Those of you who know older Ducs will be able to identify the motor. Please let us know what you think it is...

Apparently, the car was built in Modena Italy, and has close ties with the factory! The guy (Mile) didn't say too much about it, - and then we got onto business, and the conversation stopped - but if anybody knows what this thing is please let us know! Even if it *is* a one off machine that's cool. If its more than that - I wonder what the plan was!
It's beautifully put together.
IMG_1150_B.jpg
IMG_1151_B.jpg
IMG_1152_B.jpg
IMG_1190_B.jpg

This thing is awesome/hot/beautiful but my favorite part has to be that the catch-can is an old olive oil bottle. Haha, he's really keeping with the Italian theme on this racecar.

Looks like a FormulaVee car w/ a Duc motor. Im just speculating, but Id guess it was a one off/limited run for road racing in the 70s.

That is an old mid-60s Technocart F4 chassis.
I think they used a Duc
250 engine.

Someone in NC (I think) was restoring one of these a while back that I saw mentioned in a Ducati forum.

brad in Hugetown

http://www.duccutters.com/Ducati-FormulaTecnoK.tpl

Could it be a formula tecno K, with upgraded (twin) engine?

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/14-vintage/63319-rare-formula-tecno-k-ebay-italy.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/14-vintage/14333-technocart-f4.html

Thanks Joksa and hedrives! - you guys nailed it! :/)

What an amazing little machine.
Looks like a lot of fun!

Somewhere, somehow, that thing could be plated and run on the road. I need to find that place and move there (once I buy that car).

In Pennsylvania, you can apply for a "street rod" plate which allows you to run without a hood, or fenders... There are restrictions on when you can drive the car, and its a pain in the ass to get one, but it would totally be worth it.

Tim said:
Somewhere, somehow, that thing could be plated and run on the road. I need to find that place and move there (once I buy that car).

If you find the place Tim, let me know. Man, I cant stop thinking about that thing. And the fact that its from the 60's! Off the charts.

Stupid thing is if you removed one of the wheels, you could likely license it almost anywhere as a motorcycle.

Dale, does the engine have bevel towers on the other side. It looks to me like a two cylinder which would not be a 250. I have a bevel ducati but it is at my mechanic's house and I can't get a look at it right now.

Yes, Ducati has made both 350 and 400 "L" twins. If it doesn't have the bevel towers then it is a 350 pantah motor. If it has bevel towers then it is some sort of factory special. I would suspect it is a pantah motor........

So who owns this thing anyhow? Get in touch with them and get some videos of it running up and down the street. We'll make him famous! Even better convince him to let you behind the wheel for an in-depth write-up here ;)

Well Tim, I need to go by Mile in the next few days or so anyway. So I'll try and "pry" some info out of him. He's always kinda reluctant to talk about other clients. But this is not a race bike, and I guess his "professionilsm" in this regard may not be relevant. :) Ill ask him to leave a message with the owner to call me. I know he wouldnt give me the guys number. Ill ask anyway. Hey, he's just like that. But if it were my car, I would talk to anyone that was interested... so lets see... :)

the motor is deffinatly a ducati twin from 91 to 96 (if its a 900) could be new as 2001 if its a 750 or smaller. It has to fit in those years because it is carburated. and a pantah has a carb behind te rear head. from the looks of the way the motor is painted i would guess it is a 900ss or monster from 94 to 97.

You are right AJ, I was too busy looking for bevel towers to notice the carb set-up. It could still be a pantah 350 with the heads from a 400, or it could be, as you said, a 750, 400, 900, or some other derivitive. If it is one of the bigger twins....... I bet it is a handful with 75 to 100 hp in that little car :p :p :p .

Back
Top Bottom