Post a pic of your latest purchase

Sav0r said:
What software do you use with kflop? Mach3?

You can use mach, or they have their own software as well that I'm using, it's simple but I like it.

J-Rod10 said:
These guys make a pretty stellar retro for not a ton of coin. Basically a bolt on and go, outside of tuning everything in once it's up and running.

https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/bladerunner-servo-system-5-3-gearheads/

That is a hell of a deal for $850. I paid $5K for my Bridgeport with a bad AccuRite system on it, then retrofitted it.

I had Candcnc on my last cnc plasma, was not really a fan. Plasma is really noisy though but I had nothing but issues. I imagine it would work fairly well on a mill.

The advantage to the dynomotion is that it's real time and not handled on the PC, so if the PC crashes or freezes for a second youre still good.

It certainly takes more programming and trial and error than the Candcnc kit and isn't nearly as easy to setup, but total cost was 500 shipped for the boards. I did reuse the old servo drives, power supply, etc basically just replaced the computer.

SONIC. said:
I had Candcnc on my last cnc plasma, was not really a fan. Plasma is really noisy though but I had nothing but issues. I imagine it would work fairly well on a mill.

The advantage to the dynomotion is that it's real time and not handled on the PC, so if the PC crashes or freezes for a second youre still good.

It certainly takes more programming and trial and error than the Candcnc kit and isn't nearly as easy to setup, but total cost was 500 shipped for the boards. I did reuse the old servo drives, power supply, etc basically just replaced the computer.
I've been running it on my Bridgeport for two years. No issues thus far.

I've seen a lot of people talk about putting controls together cheaply, but, I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics.

J-Rod10 said:
I've been running it on my Bridgeport for two years. No issues thus far.

I've seen a lot of people talk about putting controls together cheaply, but, I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics.

It's a major PITA figuring it all out that's for sure.

$20 USB turntable with "Audacity" software, to convert my classic LPs to .mp3

I've done 14 albums this week, it's a lot of work, but well worth it. I probably should have ordererd a better needle/cartridge, but what the heck, it's just tunes for the shop/truck...

413808993.jpg

The hard part is carefully splitting out each song then properly filling in the info tag. A bit tedious.

Extra points if you can guess which entire album (both sides) this is-

413813904.jpg

I left a strong hint...

cxman said:
cbx is a piece of cake

even after dropping engine forwards and having it sitting on lower rear engine bolt?
(got to adjust valves before doing carbs)
Bought a new battery for Katana, 3rd one in 7 yrs.

grandpaul said:
The hard part is carefully splitting out each song then properly filling in the info tag. A bit tedious.

Yep. Tedious is one word for it. I did about 12 before I decided to give up.

grandpaul said:

I've done 14 albums this week, it's a lot of work, but well worth it. I probably should have ordererd a better needle/cartridge, but what the heck, it's just tunes for the shop/truck...

413808993.jpg

413813904.jpg

I left a strong hint...

Moody Blues- Days of Future Passed. You need to adjust your levels. You're losing all of your peaks.

grandpaul said:

413808993.jpg

413813904.jpg

I left a strong hint...

Don't get rid of your lps.

irk miller said:
Moody Blues- Days of Future Passed. You need to adjust your levels. You're losing all of your peaks.
Ooh, close (I gave you the Moody Blues).

I know I need to adjust the levels, I also need a better cartridge.

[quote author=crabsandcylinders]Don't get rid of your lps. [/quote]
Of course not!

I'm sure you are experiencing a major loss of audio quality in that conversion process. It's same you'd have to repurchase all of the music to get in in CD or other digital format.

I have a few old CDs, but can't locate them. I also have a sack full of cassette tapes, just waiting on my USB cassette player.

Yes, I know full well I am losing audio quality on my first attempts, I have gotten better. At any rate, I am not a "high end" audiophile, and the tunes sound great in my truck, which is all they need to do. Just enough to make my kids cringe.

Sav0r said:
I'm sure you are experiencing a major loss of audio quality in that conversion process. It's same you'd have to repurchase all of the music to get in in CD or other digital format.
It's significant the loss of quality when you add all the factors in. Convert to MP3 requires major compression to fit into the file size, plus the equipment itself is pretty cheap. Add-in that the levels are off the graph, which means it's losing major portions of the peak sounds. If I want digital versions of files, I add them to my Prime account. There are some things I listen to in all three formats: vinyl, CD and digitally through my phone. Though, I've gotten to the point where I listen to CDs far less. It used to be that I had something on vinyl for the house and CD for the cars.

My music collection has moved away from lossy formats, though I still have a significant core from years of accumulation that are mp3. I don't own any CD's, but I have a reasonable vinyl collection. There is very little overlap between the vinyl and my digital, but my digital collection is pretty large. A year or two ago I setup iTunes match and that allowed me to match a significant portion with lossless formats, meaning I got rid of lower quality files all together. That was a good deal for $25 for the year. Live shows which probably comprise that majority (data wise) of my collection however don't often match with iTunes, so they are what they are. Luckily most artists release in lossless these days.

I've been getting some lossless music in 24 bit, those are a little out of control. 2-3gb albums are the not out of the ordinary.

I have hundreds of old tapes and cd's. I can't find it all online. I've converted the CD's to high bitrate mp3's and I slowly convert tapes to mp3 as well. That takes alot of time. No, it won't be the same as a new digital copy but I have a general disdain for re-masters. I also will not pay to stream music that I can't download locally. Having an internet connection as a requirement to listen to music is a no-go for me.

I do vinyl and spotify.
While I prefer vinyl, spotify is certainly not bad quality wise when streamed at 320kbps.
You can also download for offline use, i have several playlists at a time downloaded for when I lose signal (rare these days honestly).

I would look on spotify, you may be surprised how much is already out there digitally, may be no need to spend so much time converting.

Yeah, Spotify definitely changes the way music is listened too.

I run a Plex server which lets me stream all my music to any of my devices while the content is only located on the server. A fair amount of the music I own being live shows never ends up on Spotify.

SONIC. said:
I do vinyl and spotify.
While I prefer vinyl, spotify is certainly not bad quality wise when streamed at 320kbps.
You can also download for offline use, i have several playlists at a time downloaded for when I lose signal (rare these days honestly).

I would look on spotify, you may be surprised how much is already out there digitally, may be no need to spend so much time converting.

So, it's not about signal, it's really a principle of the thing for me. I don't like the idea of renting music. Does spotify keep songs in a special cache that only it's client reads, like Apple's Itunes? or does it store them as individually accessible mp3 files?

The cool thing about Spotify and Prime (and similar services) is they are a good way to introduce you to music. When I was a teen, I read the liner notes for who inspired a band, the people they thanked, their labels, and other stuff. Magazines and such would supplement. Now, I have YouTube users I subscribe to, as well as specific users Spotify playlists to introduce me. Plus, the populated suggestions helps too. Then, I go to places like Discogs or various retailers to buy vinyl versions. I go to record conventions, flea markets, local stores and thrift stores too. The digital content is what's informing me when I go now. It's also pretty common for a lot of the music I have digitally to be very small run vinyl and/or CD. Which means if you want it on record, you're looking to pay $50 or more. It has to be pretty effin special for me to pay that much. I'm crazy about collecting music, with about 4000 lps and 1000 CDs, so I can only for to pay so much per unit.

irk miller said:
The cool thing about Spotify and Prime (and similar services) is they are a good way to introduce you to music. When I was a teen, I read the liner notes for who inspired a band, the people they thanked, their labels, and other stuff. Magazines and such would supplement. Now, I have YouTube users I subscribe to, as well as specific users Spotify playlists to introduce me. Plus, the populated suggestions helps too. Then, I go to places like Discogs or various retailers to buy vinyl versions. I go to record conventions, flea markets, local stores and thrift stores too. The digital content is what's informing me when I go now. It's also pretty common for a lot of the music I have digitally to be very small run vinyl and/or CD. Which means if you want it on record, you're looking to pay $50 or more. It has to be pretty effin special for me to pay that much. I'm crazy about collecting music, with about 4000 lps and 1000 CDs, so I can only for to pay so much per unit.

So I did some digging. Spotify does download music but into a DRM ("Digital Rights Management") encrypted format that only the spotify client can read. So that's a big 100% FAIL in my opinion.

Irk, I know you are a music supergeek and I love the online music services for finding new stuff also. I've been a Pandora user off and on for years (in a pinch). I have Prime and I was an Emusic customer for a loong time but finally ditched them when they kept changing their terms of service, etc...

My beef is that if I'm paying for the music, I expect to have an offline copy that I can read with _any_ music player. Then I can put it on a thumbdrive to play in the car, play from my network server at home, etc...

Back
Top Bottom