Doing the ton

i try every time i have it out! last time i was riding with a friend he was on a r6 yamaya, my speedo only goes to 85, after a high speed pass i asked how fast ? he said last time i looked
120! now i was on my 82 xs650 but it has an all out race motor. 70 hp
But the most fun is going home after bike night and going around the Harley's when they are drag racing !

Got my new speedometer cable today. Took the 750 out and cruised an indicated 115! Now I've "officially" done the ton on all of my bikes!

Was out yesterday with the father in law teaching him to ride. I decided to take a rip down the highway to go home instead of through town, hit a straight stretch that was just paved and opened it up, hit just over 105 MPH full throttle 6th gear in a crouch. So I have officially don the ton on a little 450 twin. A lot easier on the GL1000, but a lot more "Exciting" on the 450.

Cheers

Maritime

Did the ton this past friday on this, 6 gears!

P1010063.jpg

I have had a couple of cbr's and I have had both of them well over the TON, my 929 would jump to 140 with no hesitation. Had it to 168 as a max and would regularly make long high speed runs on I-10 from Florida to almost Mississippi, its a great run that cuts through down town Mobile AL, over Mobile bay, and through a tunnel under the Mobile river. Back around 2001 me and some friends would make this run late at nigh with no opposition from the law, from time to time we would pass one, but they would not even attempt to pursue! I had tons of fun, but in retrospec, it was quite stupid! I was young, dumb, and thought I could not be hurt. During a day time run of this route I got cut off by an 18 wheeler at over 150 and had to take it to the shoulder, where i encountered loose gravel and my tail started wagging! I shat my pants and actually quit riding for some time. Back on the horse now, wiser and more mature. I still like to do the TON though, I just make sure I am in the right place and time to twist the throttle!

Crazy story twistedwheels, lucky you're still here and playing it (relatively) safe.

As for my cafe, I've only had it up and down the street as a test run. Fastest I've gone on a bike to date is 93mph on my 125, although thats running -1 on the front sprocket from stock, should be good for about a buck o-five.

Can't wait to get this GS850 on the road and open her up haha...

- boingk

I've never owned a motorcycle that wouldn't muster the 'ton', in fact I've been over 1 1/2 on my 6R many times... Crashing though, has slowed me down a touch!

Even my beater KZ650 will pull over 125 easily, I haven't quite outlived my invincibility yet!

Finally got my sidecar (500cc Pushrod Weslake speedway engine from the mid 70s) done and out. Its maiden pass at El Mirage dry lake was 107 in June. At the July meet it ran 111. And at the Sept. meet I finally got it to start to run. It cranked off a 122.240 run.

img1218y.jpg

By weslake at 2009-08-01

img027e.jpg

By weslake at 2009-09-19

tWistedWheelz said:
hoofhearted,

That is just wicked ass cool! I love that thing, I want one!
+1!!! What a rush that has to be. One hell of a ride on that side care too!!

How in the world does the passenger hold on anyway? I'll say it again, Holy crap would that be a rush!, Sorry.
Looks like a pretty big sproket on there. Could you go with a smaller one for more top end?

Its a Triumph conical hub with a standard 47t sprocket. I could go to a 46 and thats the smallest that will fit. All the gearing is on the engine sprocket and the trans. Its geared to do 135 (eventually). How much faster can an ancient 500 pushrod single go?
[/img]
img7044c.jpg

By weslake, shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2009-06-24

hahaha, yeah you are right. As a matter of fact how much faster would you want it to go! I was wondering about steering and at first glance all I saw was the steering stabilizer but after second look, I could see the handlebars. I assume it is gear driven some how?

wow, that is tight down there. Really nice job. I like the way you figured the linkage. Pretty slick. The way you did the forks is neat too. Never thought about clearances and the forks, but I guess you really don't need any suspension. really cool stuff! Thank you for shairing that!

Back
Top Bottom