Not to be a dick but...(constructive criticism ahead)

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
is it time to add a "Newbies START HERE" section where things like the search function, picture posting, etc. are explained? Seems like alot of "I bought this CB350 and have no idea what to do with it" threads starting that could be solved by doing very little research.

precisely. people are mistaking the forum for google nowadays, instead of looking shit up themselves and starting new threads as a last resort.

i like new threads... seems like a forum is less interesting when things aren't updated as much... not that I like things getting buried, but it's always nice to see new projects even if the same old questions get asked a lot

We need to find a way to increase/enhance the search functionality of the forum....
The standard search capabilities here and at most other forums suck...

we could always just have a stickied newb faq that links to threads that explain all the most commonly asked questions. sort of like here:
http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/88078/ShowPost.aspx

SOHC has a similar FAQ-probably less condescending than "Newbies START HERE!" ::) In the FAQ, you can create a document to explain search functionality. I can probably put one together. I know you don't have official mods here, but DTT is getting big enough that it might be time; it would save you and Tim the trouble of having to put together things like FAQs.

A lot of people around here have posted pretty comprehensive tutorials, and a lot more have knowledge to spare. If you, or anyone for that mater, have an area of expertise your tired of answering questions about, you could set up a comprehensive thread and ask the mods to sticky it, like the $50 Mod Thread.

I kinda like not having a newb section though. It gives me the opportunity to regurgitate something brilliant Crazypj or any of the other site guru's posted to a rank amateur for the 100th time and actually look like I know what I'm doing.

Joking aside the reason I continue to hang here is the absolute openness expressed by all. If it wasn't for the acceptance of my utter ignorance and sacrilegious treatment of a vintage bike I would still be surfing the web randomly posting "what do I do with this bike" threads looking for a home.

As long as we keep gently guiding the guy who started after us toward the search function we should be OK, and I really appreciate you guys putting up with newbie crap and drawing us into the DTT herd.

Hey... I was a noobie once... ;D And so was Tim... thats one of the reasons why we started this forum.... AND look at us now!!!..... .... we still still are noobies...(especially tim... ;D)

And Tim is not afraid nor too proud to admit it eh Tim!!.. ;)

I'm new around here and I've posted a few threads. I've tried not to start a new thread for each question. I've spent hours searching and reading on this forum and there isn't a ton of info about cb500t. There is a wealth of useful information and my knowledge has grown exponentially. It is true that people can be lazy and simply start a new thread before searching on their own.

Oh well. Kids. We're all kids. look at us! We get our kicks getting dirty and going fast. Clearly we're not aware of consequences and such right? Ha! I love this place.

Im a newb to this forum and i agree with loco leon with the search capabilities. Since ive bought my bike and pretty much building it from the frame up, im usually on the forum trying to absorb as much information as i can from other peoples post. when i run into problems and attempt to search it on the forum, i get alot of different posts with the word or phase i used to search with, in the post. With so many posts its makes it hard to round it down to what im looking for, and if i try to be more detailed in my search nothing comes up. So i have to decide to continue sifting through the forum or make a new thread. And sometimes i feel bad for making threads for something so small. i think you guys should pay someone to be on live chat at all time so us newbs can just ask questions directly. ;D

Would it be possible to add a tagging function to threads or posts? Each thread could be tagged with three or four useful terms, for example "CB400, engine, valve timing."

Then a user can search by tag and just find threads that include cb400 and valve timing in the tags rather than every post where somebody said "dude, that paint is schweeeeet. I want to do that with my cb400 but the timing is all wrong since I'm having a new heart valve installed this week."

That might help the problem of ambiguous searching.

The other thing that might be cool would be to set up a wiki-style knowledge base where users can add information on various bikes. Things like experience with rejetting carbs, tire sizes that work with stock wheels, tank interchangeability, prefab seats that fit stock frames, etc. One of the home theater PC forums I visit has a wiki like that and I use it all the time. If people are interested and it wouldn't step on toes, I suppose I would even be willing to set up a knowledgebase at wikia and point people to some instructions on how to use it.

Anyway, you guys are doing a great job with this forum, keep it up!

Yea I second the wiki idea,

I was trying to think of a good method to put up various things that ive learned in my limited wrenching time. Stuff that more likely than not a Ton of people have had to go through. something to make it a little easier (a la.. NO that Wire does NOT connect to that one!)

Eitherway, thanks to all who gather to reply to these posts. dumb or interesting, few go by with out a response. I really appreciate that.

Well, I put together a little wiki this week. Didn't spend much time on it, just something to do rather than working.

It's here:
http://motorcycles.wikia.com/wiki/DTT_Knowledgebase

I've set it up to have bike makes on the front page, click that to choose model, then add information if you've got it. There may be better ways to organize this, so feel free to change it up. As a wiki, it's open to editing from anyone. No account or login needed.

I filled in some info for Honda CM400 since it's my bike:
http://motorcycles.wikia.com/wiki/CM400

The other pages will have to be created and filled by other folks. There are links on the front page to directions for editing, feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. I'm no expert, I just hit the big "Edit" button at the top of the page.

It won't break my heart if this doesn't go anywhere, I only spent about 30 minutes on it. It could turn into a good resource though.

dan

Edit: one wiki pointer - if a link is red (like all the links except Honda on the front page), that means that it goes to a blank page. If you click that link, it will take you directly to the page editor where you can start typing info.

I admit that I skimmed this thread beyond the first few posts, but only one guy I saw hit even close to where I base my feelings on the subject.

Community.
We have a real, generally friendly community here. That's based on participation of the members, not mechanically funneling the new guys off to a "get yet shit together Neubaum!" section. I've got standing plans with one of our members from the snowy north to hang out, consume and probably crash at my joint when he and his family come thru Oregon. I've never met the kat other than on here but he's a buddy just the same.

Seems to me that that trade of information and experience has real definable value within this community. New people come here because there IS an open trade of thought that is largely given in a free and pleasant manner. Actively separating the new folks from those with no life (oops.....I meant forum regulars) can only serve to lessen the personality of this joint.

I am totally for a cohesive repository of pertinent information and we really do have the framework for that very thing already in place. With a little work, that could really be expanded into a valuable source of info for all of us. However if we fall into the practice of shunting the FNG's off to a FAQ without attempting to foment that sense of community we will end up just like a few other sites that just aren't pleasant to be part of. Want that?

Faq as a way to deflect Newbss is not a good idea, but using it to inform i think is. But if we use it as a more personal form of clymer manual, something where anyone from newb to novice can find out specific info. like CB550 > Cam > and have a list of what cams straight bolt onto stock 550 engine. Things like that would be pretty cool, great for planning a build. I agree with you swagger, reason i like this board over others, is the personality and the people. That I hope never changes too much. Been following things for about 2 years here, it really is the best. most inginuative bunch around. ;D The more the merrier i say.

I'm with swagger too. The thing that originally drew me to this site was that I DID see newbs asking questions and getting friendly and mostly helpful answers. That goes away and most of what makes this site great goes away.

dcwp said:
Well, I put together a little wiki this week. Didn't spend much time on it, just something to do rather than working.

It's here:
http://motorcycles.wikia.com/wiki/DTT_Knowledgebase

I've set it up to have bike makes on the front page, click that to choose model, then add information if you've got it. There may be better ways to organize this, so feel free to change it up. As a wiki, it's open to editing from anyone. No account or login needed.

I filled in some info for Honda CM400 since it's my bike:
http://motorcycles.wikia.com/wiki/CM400

The other pages will have to be created and filled by other folks. There are links on the front page to directions for editing, feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. I'm no expert, I just hit the big "Edit" button at the top of the page.

It won't break my heart if this doesn't go anywhere, I only spent about 30 minutes on it. It could turn into a good resource though.

dan

Edit: one wiki pointer - if a link is red (like all the links except Honda on the front page), that means that it goes to a blank page. If you click that link, it will take you directly to the page editor where you can start typing info.

i've got some new bookmarks in my browser now. I'll try to add any info that i have

See-now that's what I'm talking about! I shouldn't be about shutting people down for "stupid" questions, it should be about getting people the best information as fast as possible. Think of it as a Dewey decimal system for moto knowledge ;)

Back
Top Bottom