US/Canada parts vs imports

rockcitycafe

I make things.
I've been checking out a lot of people on ebay lately, doing cafe parts out of factories in southeast asia... even heard some of the big names (won't name anyone) are starting to do the same... so who's got opinions on this? what value is placed on companies in your own country? I'm more of a die hard made in the usa person, but I don't know if that's just an obsolete idea? Discuss :)

My bike's Japanese... Based on a British style of bike... So I can't say too much. But if it's an option I would rather buy American. Except for the actual motorcycles that the parts would go on.

Does Mexico count too (it's still NA) or no, because they don't look like us :)

Personally, I try to buy all my parts locally. The mandrel bends still get shipped, but everything else is done locally. I think I found a local place for the bends as well. All my fabrication supplies are purchased locally.

Oh wait, my cones are shipped from California, but I love the supplier, so I'll always go with them.

I may eventually tool up, but it will always be Texas-made or worse case, USA-made.

--Chris

I have two things on my bike made in the u. s. of a.: The outboard cowl that I used to make my seat and my vintage(=ratty) drag pipes.

I'm totally into American made aftermarket parts. The period correct parts I collect are usually made in California in the 70s, not to mention my helmets and jackets.

chrisf said:
Does Mexico count too (it's still NA) or no, because they don't look like us :)

Personally, I try to buy all my parts locally. The mandrel bends still get shipped, but everything else is done locally. I think I found a local place for the bends as well. All my fabrication supplies are purchased locally.

Oh wait, my cones are shipped from California, but I love the supplier, so I'll always go with them.

I may eventually tool up, but it will always be Texas-made or worse case, USA-made.

--Chris

I kinda avoided mexico because they're still trying to figure out how to pay employees a good wage, I've travelled through mexico and central america 4 or 5 times and always found that the average joe was barely scraping by... by that logic I should really include most of europe, korea, australia, nz, some indian companies, some chinese companies etc... i tried to narrow it down but this is such a tumbleweed of a subject...

There would be a lot more parts ( and other products)made in N America if people would stop trying to get everything at the lowest price!
Not that trading with other countries is bad but there is a point where it has negative consequences on the local economy.
I used some off -shore products that were knock offs of US products in a turbo car project and they were junk.
Won't do THAT again!
"Live better spend less" isn't a good mantra......

Just my $ .02 worth

Blame Wal-Mart for the North American appetite for cheap goods. That's why I've never shopped there.

This is one point that is particularly acute with me, and I agree with all of you. Personally, I never shop on price. I consume a small amount (by American standards) of goods, but buy the highest of quality. I buy local food, and eat only food that is in season. That means no asparagus because it's out of season and sadly, no more strawberries. I buy local grass fed or free range meats from local butchers, but I actually think I save money doing so--I don't know.

Wal-Mart and big agro are two entities I hate the most. Like DrJ said, Wal-Mart literally set up a pipeline of cheap, disposable, foreign goods right into America's living room. Everyone buys differently, so I can live with the 'cheap' issue, but I have a problem with disposable. The bigger tragedy is that Wal-Mart cloaked the suppliers and their practices from the American consumer--effectively conditioning the American buyers that cheap--in many cases Chinese--goods are OK to buy. The fact that their sock goes up in proportion to the American economy going down speaks volumes. This is bad for everyone; China included.

I too have travelled quite a bit, but I see something different in entirety. When vacationing in Mexico, we typically get bored after a couple days. So my wife and I pack up the family to the nearest fishing village and take a bus off the beaten path--usually way off. And I see content people with the biggest smiles on their faces who are proud of the opportunity to provide for their families.

When I was younger, I took a trip to Guatemala because I had family doing social work down there. We took a 150km trip to a huge lake named Atitlan. It took three hours by boat to cross the lake, then another 4 hours walking/by donkey. The village was so proud because they killed a snake that morning and made soup for us. We ate it out of margarine containers. I played soccer with the little kids for hours until the game stopped because two pigs began copulating, and the kids ran to watch. The sad truth is the village didn't need social work; they needed to be left alone. They were happy people who valued happiness.

Don't get me wrong: I'm very much anti-exploitation. My travels just haven't taken me to the factories. I'm sure it would nauseate me to see.

Bring the topic back to USA made goods vs. east asian goods on eBay, of course they appear on eBay. eBay buyers are--by nature--looking for cheap goods...or at least a bargain. So selling cheap, poor quality good on eBay makes sense. That's why today I don't sell my products on eBay: I refuse to dilute my craftsmanship with the eBay market and all it entails. It's just not my demo.

I do struggle with this, though, because it creates an immediate global market, and I understand why people capitalize on this. I've got three seats sitting in my garage with no buyers. I can unload those on eBay and finance a nice weekend getaway with my wife. But if I do that, I've commoditized my product by competing with cheap goods--and cheap buyers. Like I said, man, I struggle with this; It's just not something I'm willing to do TODAY.

This was a good topic that needed to be fleshed out.

--Chris

well put... I remember being in Belize and going inland away from the touristy coast, it was actually a cool place and no one had much but no one was miserable either...

Interesting topic! :)

I tend to shop for quality products, especially for my hobbies. I've got the pile of reciepts to prove it! :eek:

I've also been known to shop at Walmart. :-\

I suppose there will always be a tension here.

chrisf said:
This is one point that is particularly acute with me, and I agree with all of you. Personally, I never shop on price. I consume a small amount (by American standards) of goods, but buy the highest of quality. I buy local food, and eat only food that is in season. That means no asparagus because it's out of season and sadly, no more strawberries. I buy local grass fed or free range meats from local butchers, but I actually think I save money doing so--I don't know.

I am the same way here. Not only is it better for your body to eat within season, but it is better for the environment due to not having to truck in goods to satisfy a craving.

I have to say, after some eye opening documentation, I will not shop at Wal Mart. It is so evil the way that they under sell smaller companies out of business. It's really disgusting.

I'm glad you guys are bringing this up here. It's good to keep a keen eye on this subject. And if you haven't yet, watch the documentary called "The Corporation". It's eye opening.

http://www.thecorporation.com/

I try buying from my local stealerships...its just not cost effective. I try my best to find stuff on Ebay that is in Canada or the North East end of the states.

If I dont buy the odd thing from wal-mart, I won't have any money to buy US made stuff .....a vicious cycle? I might splurge and get the CR carbs for my 750 from Carpy, I am not even sure where they are made (japan?) but it does feel good to at least get them through someone who is building a business from the ground up on this side of the pond. I hope I can buy more parts from you guys here who make great, garage-made stuff too. That is definitely cooler than buying from who knows who on Ebay.

I agree that walmart is evil. I live in a toursit town on the beach. About seven years ago walmart anounced they were building a store on pleasure island(where I live). This being a small beach community, all of the locals know one another in some capacity. TwistedWheelz was in on this. We protested, attended city council meetings, and signed petitions because we knew walmart would hurt all of our friends who own businesses here. Of course we have a walmart now.
I also agree that you pay for quality. I owned a flooring business with TwistedWheelz for a few years, and in that business quality costs money, but it's money that the distinguishing client doesn't mind paying. It's the same with motorcycle parts. Someone who is making a superior product cares more about the quality of their product. Also someone who pays their workers a decent wage instills this pride of product in their employees.
I would love to be able to afford the products offered by chris, carpie, benjie, and roc. I look at their sites (and cycle-x's) and dream about what I could build without having to worry about money.
But I DO have to worry about money. I have to raise three children, pay for my house, cars, bils, etc. And there isn't much(if any) money for my motorcycle project. It took me two years to even be able to afford a project. I do things cheaply on the bike because I have to. But it also causes one to think outside the box and be much more creative than if I could run out and purchase anything I wanted.
Oh, and I do buy some things at walmart now. It's cheaper and that has be a big concern for me nowadays as a grown up who puts his childrens' and wive's welfare in front of his own. :-\

Deviant1 said:
I agree that walmart is evil. I live in a toursit town on the beach. About seven years ago walmart anounced they were building a store on pleasure island(where I live). This being a small beach community, all of the locals know one another in some capacity. TwistedWheelz was in on this. We protested, attended city council meetings, and signed petitions because we knew walmart would hurt all of our friends who own businesses here. Of course we have a walmart now.
I also agree that you pay for quality. I owned a flooring business with TwistedWheelz for a few years, and in that business quality costs money, but it's money that the distinguishing client doesn't mind paying. It's the same with motorcycle parts. Someone who is making a superior product cares more about the quality of their product. Also someone who pays their workers a decent wage instills this pride of product in their employees.
I would love to be able to afford the products offered by chris, carpie, benjie, and roc. I look at their sites (and cycle-x's) and dream about what I could build without having to worry about money.
But I DO have to worry about money. I have to raise three children, pay for my house, cars, bils, etc. And there isn't much(if any) money for my motorcycle project. It took me two years to even be able to afford a project. I do things cheaply on the bike because I have to. But it also causes one to think outside the box and be much more creative than if I could run out and purchase anything I wanted.
Oh, and I do buy some things at walmart now. It's cheaper and that has be a big concern for me nowadays as a grown up who puts his childrens' and wive's welfare in front of his own. :-\

Ya, I'm with ya all! :-\

I'm afraid the truth is, money talks and the lowest price wins. Nearly every time!! I've worked sales and purchasing. Products and serices. A higher price is more often than not a deal killer. It often doesn't matter that the quality is better. The bottom line decides it in the end. :'(

I parked my bike for 23 years while the kids grew, went to school and got married. Now that I can spend some hard earned $$ on my projects, I do my best to buy local and buy quality. The projects take longer, but I don't mind. :D

chrisf, I can see your point about Ebay but it's not just people trying to find cheap parts.
I use Ebay to try to find stuff that is not necessarily available at retail or just simply a used part.
I do prefer to deal with locals when I buy though.
We wouldn't think less of you if you sold your seats on the Bay...honest ;)

Back
Top Bottom