finally picked up my 78 hawk

linkandcuff

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

i bought it for $300

it runs but not that good..i got it home and started missing with it and doing a couple of test to see whats making it not run good and it runs better with the chock on so its probably running lean....i took the carbs off to find out that the intake boots are in bad shape (the rubber separated from the metal). Hopefully i can still buy them!!

it has somekinda aftermaket exhaust on it...i couldnt find a name anywhere on it but its pretty loud but a good loud.
air filter is a cut to fit uni flat filter but i want to buy air pods for it...anyone know what size fits those cabs??...

i need to check the valves and adjust the cam tensioner since its making a light ticking noise

so what do u guys think?

Looks fun. There's one just like it that parks by me sometimes.

Are the wheels bare metal or painted?

i'll have to look at the wheels for u cause i'm not even sure.....they seem in good shape though....i'll clean the carbs tomorrow and order the intake boots and whatever parts that i need once i check the carbs out!
once i get it running perfect i'll start with making it feel sportier or what most people do here cafier...haha

i haven't ordered my pod filters yet, but if i remember correctly, the OD is 58mm on my 400 carbs. i probably shouldn't write that if im not sure, but i think it's correct. that exhaust looks like Pinche's Mac 2-1

i drilled the pilot screw and used an easy out but they were so stuck the it broke the housing around the screw when i applied force to spin them out....the other carb is fine just needs a new pilot screw...now i need to score another carb...i found a couple on ebay already....do u know if other models share the same carb??

You can likely use a carb from any of the 78-86 400-450 twins. there are some variations but most use the same carbs. Check the clymers it lists the bikes with the same carbs. you can download it free off a bunch of sites. there is a link here someplace that has it.

Back
Top Bottom