lol

rockcitycafe

I make things.
"yeah yeah, you see other imitators out there..."
gosh, that looks an awful lot like the bullet seat I've been making for a while

http://www.cb750cafe.com/parts.php?id=111

http://www.roccitycafe.com/item.php?path=store/1alloy

yeah, but it just bugs me how he always makes it sound like everyone's copying him,
he's out there getting ideas from everyone else too, I've seen Benjie's stuff, and my own
and it seems like neither comes out with designs that are really close to others out there

Big ups to Rock, good stuff....and good prices. Carpys is nice, i have never seen his stuff in person, but some of the prices are too much. 30 bucks for a sticker? 18 dollars for an L.E.D. light? I guess peeps are paying that......thats the most surprising thing of all

and ya it looks like the exact same shaped seat to me. Granted there are only so many shapes one could actually make a 'bump' out of, but I bet his will be really pricey, so some touch to really set it apart would make more sense.

Rock, don't be angry. No one can touch your customer service or care into each product. Those are the qualities that differentiate a good product from a great one.

rockcitycafe said:
yeah, but it just bugs me how he always makes it sound like everyone's copying him,
he's out there getting ideas from everyone else too, I've seen Benjie's stuff, and my own
and it seems like neither comes out with designs that are really close to others out there

He does that with everything. It's either something he created and others are copying or it's something he's been using, doing, or wearing for decades. CB750s as cafe racers did become more popular after his bikes started showing up on the net but I don't think anybody is selling cheap copies of his products either.

I haven't seen a whole lot of 750s on here though. It seems to tend towards the <=500 CC range.

And I bet his seat is as much as yours without the upholstery.

Gotta give Carpy his props though for doing his thing.

Flugtechnik said:
I haven't seen a whole lot of 750s on here though. It seems to tend towards the <=500 CC range.

And I bet his seat is as much as yours without the upholstery.

Gotta give Carpy his props though for doing his thing.

If someone was to do what he does and offer as much stuff as for CB350 twins they would probably make a fortune. Sticking to one model of bike is working well for Carpy and I think CB350s would do the same or better for someone else who wanted to go all the way with it.

I like the guy, so I won't talk too much shit. If you look at RocCity's or my seats closely, you'll notice small imperfections. For the most part, they can be sanded an polished out, but if you know what to look for, the imperfections remain. That's life; the world wrought with imperfections.

Now, look at Carpy's seats: perfection from one to the other. The consistancy is impeccable. I don't know how to execute that consistancy doing hand made seats. I do know that if I were to tool up, I could have 5 or 6 seats that perfectly match each other. In fact, I know just the country where I could have that done :)

There is a market for anything. If someone wants a show bike with perfectly homogonized parts, they know where to go.

Do give him credit, though, bead-rolling the seatpan is a really good idea. I make my seats as light as possible, and they work great for me (160lbs). I do worry about someone of heft buying the seat and bending it. Henceforth, I'm rolling my stuff.

--Chris

I just use 14ga, with welded 3/16"x1" straps on the bottom to drill and tap for mounts... a lot stronger than a bead and it gives some meat to put a threaded hole into...

on the topic of a cb350cafe business, that would be really cool, I think some toes would get stepped on though, as chris has his exhausts and seats, dime city seems to be doing things for that one, etc etc...

Well I'll be glad to admit that I've been a customer of both carpy and rockcity, and I find the quality to be impeccable of both. Carpy's prices are a tad high, but I REALLY appreciate the personal time he devotes to each customer for what is probably the millionth time he's aswered the same noob question. The same goes for rockcity. If I remember right, it seems airtech even makes a seat like this in fiberglass? Oh well, different variants of the same flavor ensures everyone can find a perfect match. I like variety :)

Rock, it seems that the Honda market is saturated with products. If you are wanting to be different and not have any real competition then start making products for some less popular bikes like Suzuki or Yamahas.

chrisf said:
Now, look at Carpy's seats: perfection from one to the other. The consistancy is impeccable. I don't know how to execute that consistancy doing hand made seats. I do know that if I were to tool up, I could have 5 or 6 seats that perfectly match each other. In fact, I know just the country where I could have that done :)
--Chris

If any of you guys want to outsource to India, let me know-I have connections (I'm not kidding). Still hand made and same quality. ;D

+1 for Carpy answering noob questions, he has answered mine in the past. And ya alot of his stuff does look like its off an assembly line. Which is good or bad, who knows

All in all, its cool to buy products from dudes that are right here online on a daily basis like the rest of us. nuff said.

I called Carpys shop once a few years ago after being referred to him from a local bike wrecker. Id already seen his work and was expecting to get some receptionist that would give me the run around then quickly shoo me away. The guy answered his own damn phone and answered my question (depriving himself money by actually giving good advice, not sales pitches) and told me to call if I had anymore questions.

that shits rare to find anywhere. in the motorcycle industry its damn near mythical.

He makes no bones about knocking off unobtainable parts so that we can have a source (even if they are a bit overpriced, at least they exist.) and does the things he wants, in his style (errr usually, ive heard some rumors about him buying custom seats to use as molds, apparently hes up front about it but still.... ), in his own time.

all that said, he does seem to write his stuff with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and some of his prices are stupid but if people will pay for it....there are worse places for the money to go.

Back
Top Bottom