1981 Yamaha SR250 Tracker style build

Extreme_250

Hey guys. I'm been restoring this SR250 for awhile. I was planning on keeping it stock, but I've decided I might as well have some fun with it and turn it Into something cool. It looked like this when I first pulled it out of my dads barn.
4d4250081c7e162a5d59f31eed16c494.jpg
then, after a little more cleaning, I got this
985e1023852fd8305341c53d3c3c4d95.jpg
then this
b9a9e0351a6be2560d211a2823c9b2d7.jpg

Not bad looking mate. At least you got rid of the terrible seat. ;D

Gonna be a bit of work to get that dent out of the tank. Maybe try a dent puller before you fill it.

looking cleaner and better with the other seat you got on there.....keep going dude

What do you mean by crankcase breather? On most engines its just a vacuum tube that goes from the breather cover to the airbox. Although I'm not so familiar with the SR's.

Be careful if you buy tank badges from eBay. I bought some for the GS and they took 4+ weeks to ship, were gold instead of silver, and the cheapest, most garbage plastic things I've ever seen. $20 worth of trash. Better off buying some OEM ones and restoring them.

The breather/filter right under the carb in this picture is what I'm talking about.

I'm planning on buying these tank badges from MikesXS.

https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-tank-badge-set-2-chrome-letters

Attachments

• Sr250 inspiration.jpg
    Sr250 inspiration.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 871
That seat! Haha, I actually dont know if I've ever seen anything like ti in my life ha!

You're on the right track anyway man. The inspiration pic you've got is a sweet way to maintain some direction :)

Extreme_250 said:
The breather/filter right under the carb in this picture is what I'm talking about.

I'm planning on buying these tank badges from MikesXS.

https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-tank-badge-set-2-chrome-letters

I got the same ones and yep, straight fit :) And look rad!

That seat was horrible lol. When my dad bought this bike, it had 300 miles on it, mint condition. Had been sitting in a garage because the lady never rode it. She either added the seat, or it came like that from where ever she bought it. Either way it's ugly and in the past now. :) I'll post some pics of how it looked when my dad bought it later.

Took the carb off because my idle was sticking, (no it wasn't the throttle cable) and got every thing apart. I took the needle jet out for the first time, (watched a video on how to get them out) and holy Mary mother of god was that baby gunked up. Got my jets soaking in B-12, will have everything back together tomorrow.
0b5bcceb46b322de48d9ea14bf0d48a9.jpg

While my jets are soaking, I've been trying to get that big dent out of my tank. I can't really make anything work to pop it out from the inside, so I tried glueing a hammer handle to the tank, and the glue wouldn't even stick. So, gonna go to the parts store tomorrow hopefully and get a crankcase breather and a dent puller.
e779fd69fc42853a720719f24b5f0b70.jpg

So.. When putting the needle jet back in and the main jet after that, I notice that the needle jet is sliding up and down.. I'm thinking wtf? So I look at the carb diagram, and there is supposed to be a washer between the needle jet and main jet. Ever since I've been working on it there has never been one there. (my sisters ex took the carb apart 8+ years ago trying to get it running, and he lost a lot of shit for this bike) I'm guessing it didn't move up and down before because it was so gunked up. So I'll have to order that, should have it by next Thursday/Friday.

As far as I know you have a few options. Buy a suction cup dent puller, which I have no experience with and couldn't tell you whether or not they work or are a scam. Weld a stud to it and pull it out that way. Or work it out from the inside, which given its location probably will be a pain in the ass. Although If you're creative enough you can find something to get in there and pop it out.

Whatever method you use its not going to be perfect, and you're going to have to use some body filler to get it smooth regardless.

Also, never trust anyone's mechanic work. Always consult a service manual and factory parts diagram because most people don't know what the hell they're doing.

Woohoo! So I found a small little washer and it works perfect for the needle jet. So I got that back together, checked my valves again, (intake was a little loose, exhaust was perfect) got everything together and fired her up. Wow, is she running good! Before I did have a little lag on WOT, but now it's smooth, no lag. Very happy! I'll be needing my bike until this Sunday, then I can take the air box/battery box and get started on the fun for this build.

You've come to the right place. There are a few of us that know the SR250 inside and out.

Jadus sells a seat combo you might like...

So I've got the Battery Box and Air Box out.
fc74c20cf834ea5e4063fb05f099d2c2.jpg
What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it'd look nice enough with the stock seat on for now. Eventually I will buy or make a seat, but today is not that day ;)

Definitely going to buy gaiters and tank badges, (that would make it look better right there) most likely going to shorten the front fender too. Might chop some off the rear fender, haven't decided. But that tail light has to go, it's ugly as hell

Back
Top Bottom