2x stroke street tracker - project coming together slowly.

NoRiders

Over 1,000 Posts
Hi guys n gals, Just putting this out there.

I have in mind a new, long term, project. I fancy a 2smoker ding ding engined lightweight tracker stylee street bike with motoxer looks but super moto handling...bit gangly lookin' and fun to ride.

As is usual, this will be an minimalist budget build.

I have a few parts:

Honda 400/4 frame not including forks or swingarm. (From an unregistered stripped bike many years ago, so I should be able to gain the V5 off the frame number, haven't looked into this yet).

Honda 400/4 spoked front wheel with disc (prefer alloy rim) and really like Suzuki star spoked alloys and road tyres

Honda CBX 550 tank

plus a few spares/bits etc.

I've just agreed to purchase a Suzuki X5/SB 200 engine complete with carbs and igniter for £180 inc del.

I hope to find upside down forks and a swingarm/rearwheel (possibly from a lightweight Chinese model?) from Kempton or similar*, so the bones of a project are/will be in place.

I have an idea for a homemade seat ;-)

If I can make it look even a little bit like this I'll be well pleased.

Any thoughts or wise words from the DTT collective will help, thank you.

* Maybe someone out there has these kicking around in exchange for beer tokens :) Cheers Colin

Re: 2x stroke street tracker - probable project?

NoRiders said:
Hi guys n gals, Just putting this out there.

I have in mind a new, long term, project. I fancy a 2smoker ding ding engined lightweight tracker stylee street bike with motoxer looks but super moto handling...bit gangly lookin' and fun to ride.

As is usual, this will be an minimalist budget build.

I have a few parts:

Honda 400/4 frame not including forks or swingarm. (From an unregistered stripped bike many years ago, so I should be able to gain the V5 off the frame number, haven't looked into this yet).

Honda 400/4 spoked front wheel with disc (prefer alloy rim) and really like Suzuki star spoked alloys and road tyres

Honda CBX 550 tank

plus a few spares/bits etc.

I've just agreed to purchase a Suzuki X5/SB 200 engine complete with carbs and igniter for £180 inc del.

I hope to find upside down forks and a swingarm/rearwheel (possibly from a lightweight Chinese model?) from Kempton or similar*, so the bones of a project are/will be in place.

I have an idea for a homemade seat ;-)

If I can make it look even a little bit like this I'll be well pleased.

Any thoughts or wise words from the DTT collective will help, thank you.

* Maybe someone out there has these kicking around in exchange for beer tokens :) Cheers Colin

Here in Austria, some of the old KTM 2 strokes (which are quite light nimble and powerful) are easy to have.Maybe thats the way you should head?!

Thanks Ryan. I'm working with what I have for good or bad.
Until I roughly assemble the parts I won't know what the overall look will work out to, but simply buying a complete bike to modify is not what I had planned, far too easy mate :)

Plus the idea of a Honduki tracker appeals.

Ryan Stecken said:
Here in Austria, some of the old KTM 2 strokes (which are quite light nimble and powerful) are easy to have.Maybe thats the way you should head?!

Hi Ryan, checked out KTM engines on UK ebay and found plenty of watercooled Duke derivitives but no 2xstrokes. Not a common bike over here, there were some but not plentiful like in the home of KTM :)

The QINGQI qm125, SINNIS apache(same bike) would most probably have the parts you want(quite nice wheels) I believe they are based off gn125. Some go through eBay spares repair

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Jutboy said:
The QINGQI qm125, SINNIS apache(same bike) would most probably have the parts you want(quite nice wheels) I believe they are based off gn125. Some go through eBay spares repair

I'm currently searching fleabay for any upsidedown forks and quite a few Chinese models come up at what appear to be good prices.

Anyone had any direct experience with Chinese forks? Are they good or bad.

This will be a lightweight 200cc engined bike so would forks from a 125 be OK...maybe uprate the springs but then the cost rises if they're available?

Hmmm...in no rush so something will crop up :)

This is on eBay at the minute

If forks are straight could get a amount of money back selling the frame
Weight wise if you are not seething up for passenger I wouldn't see any issues

So....awaiting the engine.

Meanwhile, I've been browsing wheels and found a set I'd like to roll. Suzuki GSX (and other models) Star alloys:

The rubber I'd like to run is something like Avon Trailrider available in plenty of rim/profile sizes, but initially thinking of 17" F&R in 120/70 & 140/70. I like the block tread pattern:

I'm thinking gold spokes and polished rims.

I need a bit of help if anyone knows their Suzuki models please?

I'd like a drum brake rear and single disc front to keep it looking slightly old skool, but still have brakes that work well enough. What models of Suzuki GSX/GS (or other) do I need to find? I'm guessing late70s to early 80s for both, but defo rear to get the drum brake.
If I used a twin disc front wheel ('cos I couldn't find a single disc front) can I run it with just one disc?

Just doing initial research at the moment and shooting the breeze....long way to go, but any input from the DTT collective is always welcome, cheers.

Jutboy said:
This is on eBay at the minute

If forks are straight could get a amount of money back selling the frame
Weight wise if you are not seething up for passenger I wouldn't see any issues

Thanx for the headsup but I just don't have the room for another bike...looked a good deal though, but it looked proper fucked too.

Engine being courier collected tomorrow....I'm getting a little excited.

This is it.

Kickstart lever included.

Box of bits...hmmm?

What do I have to look out for, the usual 2xstroke areas or specific engine issues for this X5 200cc?

On a 2 stroke make sure the crank seals (oil seals that are placed between the engine cases to seal the generator etc.) are fresh.When I do a 2 stroke I ALWAYS do them (cheap insurance).
Split the cases, make sure the crank is in spec, clean, reseal woth fresh crank seals and gaskets and youre golden.

Especially on the generator side of these engines (i´m speaking of my Yamaha RD engines, which are similar) the crank seals shrink over time and then they crack and start sucking in air and BOOOM you have a hole in youre piston... :D...DO THE CRANK SEALS!

edit:here is a pic of my opened up RD motor, on the end of the crank you see the fresh crank seal!

Attachments

• IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 593

Thanx Ryan, engine arrived today, only one small head fin broken, but another head ordered off ebay.

I plan on stripping the engine and note your mild suggestion that the crank seals may need changing haha! Already I can see the barrel/head studs have been..ahem, worked on.
Looking forward to my first motorcyckle engine strip down :)

Checked out Higgspeeds 2 smoker X5 exhaust system....bloody wow, I do want one but 450 of our english pounds is a possible budget breaker.....on the other hand, do I really need both kidneys ;-)?

http://www.higgspeed.com/SUZUKI-GT200X5

Checking in...
Motor teardown should be fun. 2 strokes are nice and easy to pull apart, I have one to coming up soon. +1 on crank seals! They are usually available cheap in sets on eBay for a lot of older 2 stroke Suzuki and Yamahas

advCo said:
Checking in...
Motor teardown should be fun. 2 strokes are nice and easy to pull apart, I have one to coming up soon. +1 on crank seals! They are usually available cheap in sets on eBay for a lot of older 2 stroke Suzuki and Yamahas

Yeah, lookin' forward to tearing this one down....Lord knows what I'll find inside haha! Club night tonight so I might make a start :)

OK, didn't get to work on the engine last week, nor will I this week either :(

I've come to realise this project (Project backburner) will be much much more of a challenge than the CBX and this is why.

Unlike the CBX, almost every major component on this build will need modifying to fit, that includes Suzuki engine in the Honda frame, upside down forks (brand as yet unknown), rear swingarm (possibly a GSX), brakes, wheels, shocks, bars, cables, seat, tank...etc etc a proper bitsa, or Honduki :)

So much thought from me and this is the process as I see it.

I have the frame - check. I have the engine - check...I have in mind wheels but will need the swingarm fitted before the rear wheel can be fitted and sprocket aligned with the gearbox sprocket so I'll know where the engine will sit in the frame.

I have to choose the swingarm carefully as I would like rear drums but alloy wheels, so the swingarm spread can't be too wide as I will need no more than 2.0 wheels with 130 tyres and the twin shocks must align with the Honda top mounts and the swingarm lowers (brackets to be made).

Sooo....lots to think about, nothing is simple, I'll end up buying kit that I can't use and spend a lot more time measuring and having spacers and stuff made.....hmmm!

Is it worth the effort? what will I end up with? will it be worth it? Should I just buy a complete Suzuki 200?

If anyone cares to enlighten me of confirm I'm on the right track that'd be great, cheers Colin

Piece 34 & 73 of my 1000 jigsaw will arrive early next week.

Anyone recognise the items, believed to be off a lightweight Honda. I deduce the forks are narrow, so maybe something up to 250 perhaps? Swingarm is monoshock...any clues?

Coming along ;D

Righto....bit of a swerve from the original plans...nothing drastic, just a change of wheel choice as I was offered a abrgin and quite liked these in place of the GSX alloys, gentlemen I give you Honda NSR 17" 6xspoke alloys :)

I plan to have them media blasted and powdered, possibly white or silver.

Also in the image is a pair of chinese forks in great working condition inc both yokes, they're single disc and leading axle, just what I wanted.

Bars are a nice shape, wide enough and will look painted with an alloy billet brace bar. I plan to keep the bars simple, minimal controls etc.

The swingarm is a double bargin Suzuki (so the vendor said?) alloy twin shock (drum brake so mods required) and will need the pivot width shortening 5mm each side. Shouldn't be a major issue I hope?

Bates headlamp with red light indicator will sit nicely I reckon.

All in all, another great day at Kempton Park Bike Jumble today.

Guess what I paid for the lot...

Oh, and here's a quick mock up with the other set of forks and swingarm (both of which I will not use now). Not much left to do tbh ;)

When you decide not to go drag racing but spend time tinkering, ready for a London bike event next Saturday ;)

I fixed a few jobs:

Weeping petcock - new fibre washer
New fuel filter - old one had loose pipe connection...yikes!!
Oil topped up - not ready for a change just yet.
Clutch cable adjusted
Two plugs changed for new. Two are uber tight and don't feel right putting any force on the socket....hmmm? (Not chancing it before the event)

Fitted the side panel number roundel and decals. They're to be detailed...more anon ;)

Firmed up the numberplate fitting, nice n solid now.
Lowered the headlight circa 40-50mm, liking the lowered look, ready for a new feature...;)

Quick road test coming up.

Thanks for checking in

NoRiders said:

The swingarm is a double bargin Suzuki (so the vendor said?) alloy twin shock (drum brake so mods required) and will need the pivot width shortening 5mm each side. Shouldn't be a major issue I hope?

Yes that swingarm looks like the 1100 Suzuki GS swingarm from the early 80's. They were disc brake, so not sure what you mean by "mods required" if you are planning to use the NSR rims.

hillsy said:
Yes that swingarm looks like the 1100 Suzuki GS swingarm from the early 80's. They were disc brake, so not sure what you mean by "mods required" if you are planning to use the NSR rims.

Ah, thank you hillsy. I was meaning an axle mounted caliper bracket stop block/retainer near the axle mount as there is a drum brace bracket mount along towards the pivot end. Unless that's a caliper brace mount??

Now I know the model I can take a peek at how it's set up. - Update: I see how the brace bar is mounted now. I reckon I can make it work with a custom bar and an NSR caliper & axle bracket. Cool.

I think it'll look ace with the fat NSR wheel and chunky tyre wedged in there :)

The reality of building a bitsa is hitting home though :-\

Back
Top Bottom