BSA A50 Wheels: Re-chrome or Paint?

Jbone

Finally got the old Beezer stripped down to nothing and am ready to start refurbishing all the different bits that need it. But Im on the fence about what to do with the wheels. they were chrome spoked wheels, but after sitting in a damp shed for 15-20 years, the chrome is just flaking off. The spokes seem fine though, just tarnished and same for the hubs.

I was going to go with chrome, but the cost is pretty steep as is the turnaround.... that said I've only contacted the one shop. The other option is getting them powdercoated, about $80-100 per wheel, which is WAY cheaper and faster than chrome.

The other option is to just get new wheels, but that would end up costing about as much as new chrome. To be honest, even though I've love to see them chromed up again, Im leaning toward powdercoat to save on costs.

Thoughts? Criticisms?
What say Ye?

Hey, Jbone.

I had a similar dilemma. 15 years of sitting in a barn is hard on the finish. I had some bad rust and pitting on the rims and some of the spokes as well. I ended up disassembling the wheels and painting all of it after getting all the corrosion off. The rims I had powdercoated and the spokes and hubs I painted myself. It let me be creative with the colorscheme and make something unique and different.

If the chrome bits on the hubs and spokes is just tarnish I'd buff them up nice and go with powercoating the rims. If you already have an idea what you want the finished bike to look like you can pick a complementary color for some dramatic effect like I did. If you're still not decided you could always go with basic black. That would also give the illusion the tires are bigger than they actually are. With black rims though I might consider painting the hubs to match.

Back
Top Bottom