Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Progress? Not much. I have been having some difficulty with the top-end. Seeing some Allen bolts in a location that required removal of the cams to reach, I mistakenly assumed (during dis-assembly) that they needed to come out to remove the Rockerbox assembly. So I removed the cams. Now, the intake cam seizes up when the caps are tightened. I purchased a new intake cam and a new Rockerbox. With the new cam, the problem is better, but stil not gone. When the timing marks are aligned, it gets tight, but it's free the rest of the rotation. I'm guessing that means I need to try the new Rockerbox assembly, but it didn't come with any hardware. So I have to get those bolts out from under the cams, and I couldn't budge a few of them..... I guess I'll just have to make it work. Impact driver or something.
Seriously, it's very disheartening. I put a lot of work into getting the head ready, I'd hate to not be able to use it. But if that's the case, I am going straight for a GS500 motor.
Any of you XS/TX guys have any advice?

I've been a bit depressed about not being able to finish re-assembly of my motor, but as luck would have it, the local motorcycle salvage yard has a TX500 motor in stock. They won't break it apart, but for 120 bucks, I don't mind buying the whole thing. So.... Maybe I'll have a runner before winter.

Dam smoke wish you would of said something I have a spare motor ! If you need something just let me I know and ill see what I can do !

Well, shit, man! I didn't buy it yet! You got an early style or late style motor? I need the top part of the head, the cam and rocker housing, for the early motor. Hopefully one that's never been apart, because I've been through 3 rockerboxes and 4 sets of cams. It's like once they come apart, they won't go back together. If you've got a Rockerbox I'll pay!

Ill take a look tonight and get a number off the motor to make sure you can use it !

That's awesome, dreadrock. I'm pretty sure as long as it's a two-piece head they're all the same. My problems started when I removed the cams, so if there's any way you've got your cams still installed in that sucker, that would be what I'm looking for.

Im almost sure I have that one and as for the motor being apart again it didn't look like it I was planning on using it for parts if needed . So I have no problem pulling it apart , ill get you a few pics befor I do just to be sure ;D

Number on motor is 1J3-008006 ? Did some looking and can't find anything on year and ill have pics for you tommrow !

Now that I think about it XS starts with 317 so I would think its a TX motor but not 100% sure !

IMAG0089.jpg

I was feeling unusually industrious today, so I finished all the miscellaneous welding I needed to do on the frame and have it a coat of hammertone silver. I finished the black paint on the swingarm, while I was at it. So... That's about it. Enjoy!

DreadRock said:
Number on motor is 1J3-008006 ? Did some looking and can't find anything on year and ill have pics for you tommrow !

Now that I think about it XS starts with 317 so I would think its a TX motor but not 100% sure !

That serial number is from a mid-year 1976 XS500C...

The 371xxxxx 's are 73-74 TX500's and '75 XS500B's

Hey, it's all help to me... Yeah, I wanted to try and use my original, low-mileage two-piece head, but even I have to admit that a later model head is a step up. Maybe I can get those viton seals off without wrecking them.....

IMAG0093.jpg

I caused myself an interesting problem by using the Hyosung stem to protect the bearings from paint. I had to plug off the hole left from the original fork lock, and the Hyosung stem is smaller in diameter. That meant the plug was extended too far into the neck (as pictured above) and fouled on the Yamaha stem. So I had to stuff a dremel down in there and slooooowwwwly grind it down for clearance.
IMAG0094.jpg

I just had to bolt on the bodywork and suspension to check out how it looks with the silver frame. I like it. In fact, with all the black accents, I like it enough I am considering retaining the stock color scheme instead of the heavy-flake green I was planning. We'll see.

I had a 2-2 with reverse mega phones on my xs500 when i started out. Looked nice but i found it to be too loud. the xs500 has a big piston. Eventually i took them off and went to a 2-1 exhaust that came with the bike. The 2-1 gave me better low end performance. Try out what you have and if you dont like it try to find a 2-1, definitely makes the performance better for stop go.

Oh, you didn't see the 2-1 in my earlier post? One of the first things I bought. I just didn't like the wonky megaphone it came with, so I cut it off.

IMAG0108-1.jpg

Back into it! Motor is (at last) back in one piece, thanks to DreadRock. Once I get some new tires, I'll have a roller, and I can set this bitch in the frame and nail down my sprocket spacing. Then I get to pull it out and soda-blast the motor and exhaust to prep for paint and remove all the oxidation. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Back
Top Bottom