What is this that broke my primary chain?

CB350f Cafe

Been Around the Block
My start clutch in my cb350f grenaded itself and found the springs and spring caps during my oil change. I've split my case and the rollers are still in the starter clutch thankfully.
Although, I have no clue what the piece was that wedged itself onto my crankshaft. It's not just one piece, I have a couple other just like it.

Also here is a breakdown of all the parts in the motor. http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350f-four_model435/partslist/

hillsy said:
They look like the rollers out of the starter clutch.

I thought so too until I took everything apart. The rollers are already in the starter clutch. This thing has a little nub on the end of it.

Unless there's another roller I don't know about, here's what all should be in the starter clutch.

The rollers look completely different and including sizes. I could be wrong but I have a feeling this motor had never been split before because it only has 2700 miles.

Sorry its been it bit since ive been able to reply.

cxman, I believe I threw away the pieces, but I'll look around next time. For an idea on the size, I have it sitting next to a penny.

Furu14, I'll check out the guides. I've been thinking the shrapnel isn't an individual piece I can buy and it's from a much larger piece that I'd have to buy in whole. Also most likely the reason I can't figure out what the piece is.

Looks like the end of this bad boy to me: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350f-four-1972-usa_model435/rod-clutch-lifter_22850333000/#.WNa1-VXyuUk

"Clutch lifter rod"

IW

I THINK I FOUND IT??!!
I accidentally came across this. I had the spring and spring cap and decided to put it together, but the spring just fell right through the hole. I figured there had to be something for the spring to rest on and it clicked.
The part I'm curious about is that there are three holes just like the one picture with 2 marks clearly gouged along that hole on every hole. Is the mysterious piece I've been looking for press fitted into the starter clutch?
Also it's not shown in any parts diagram which explains the troubles of finding it.

I guess those marks (I forget the term) are intentionally smashed to keep a part in. Makes sense because those marks are identical on all three holes.
Now the question is, whats next? I don't think you can buy that little nub piece. Is this something I can fab up myself given the dimensions?

That's odd. Usually the spring are inserted from the center into blind holes. I have not seen one where the springs are fitted from the outside and retained by staking the hole.

Need someone with a 350F to tell us what that should look like.

ahh staking, that's the word.
Yeah I was thinking it was a blind hole as well till it fell out the other side and onto the floor.

I finally came across a thread over at sohc4 where someone was experiencing the same issue (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67505.0)
Basically I'm going to have to fab up a little plug, locktite and re-stake it. That still baffles me that that happened to all 3 holes. Was the Honda factory worker feeling extra sleepy and weak when it came to the staking process?

Back
Top Bottom