rust bag

mysta2

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm kinda double posting, but since I got the inspiration to do this from this site I thought I would share

I like metal, it has a truth to it, and because I have little to no experience with it it also has a level of mystery to me.

As I've stated before, my 750 is the first '70s era inline 4 that I've ever liked the looks of, so it makes sense to maintain some of that look, right. I was originally thinking I would fabricate a new composite tank from scratch for Squid, but I discovered (from you guys) that the F tank (the tank I've got) is somewhat of a find and it would be a shame to trash it, so now I'm going to try to resto/mod it. I want to get rid of the silly fuel door on the top and replace it with a flip cap of some sort. I also want to smooth out the sides and knock any dents out.

Shaking the tank makes a marocca like sound... not good. I need to get inside it so that I can start fresh, and find out exactly what I have to work with. brake out the grinder
750tank02.jpg

I used a flapwheel sanding disk on my grinder, it's a little slower than a typical grinding wheel and leaves a better finish. With a hard wheel I'd be building up a lot of heat and melting the parts together as I was trying to grind them apart, and that's kind of annoying. You can tell when you're getting close to the end of the joint when it gets louder (the sound of the grinder starts to echo inside the tank) before it pops open.
750tank05.jpg

In the last pic you can see the seam opening up a little.

This hole was my only trouble spot, This is a drain for the fuel door pocket and goes completely through and is welded to both the inner and outer piece.
750tank07.jpg

I drilled it out.

30 year yawn
750tank08.jpg

all this junk was once part of the tank...
750tank09.jpg

... that means it's lighter than it was originally :)

Gross...
750tank10.jpg

...gross...
750tank11.jpg

...gross...
750tank12.jpg

...gross...
750tank16.jpg

A little Scotchbrite and some rust remover later
750tank17.jpg

750tank18.jpg

good stuff

...and this is only the beginning

next I want to take it to a welding shop and ask someone if they can put it back together before I go too much farther.

Well that's one way to skin a cat - keep us posted on what the welder says.

hmm, I don't want to loose any volume out of it, so I won't be pushing them in. I'm considering cutting it along the side and flaring out the front section to create inserts, but I haven't decided.

That seems like it would be very difficult. Since I'm going to have to use body filler on mine, I'm considering making a card stock template, cutting out the knee inserts on each side, then, reversing them. My only concern is that the petcock will have to be moved inward toward the spine a bit.

Your frame looks similar to mine . Isn't there a 3/4" gap between the tank and the frame? Volume could be made up there. Just a thought. I look forward to your solution.

--Chris

Dude, what are you trying to prove using a grinder without goggles or a shirt? Don't those sparks sting?

DrJ said:
Dude, what are you trying to prove using a grinder without goggles or a shirt? Don't those sparks sting?

i see goggles...unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

and yes...they sting like hell

The welder I talked to kinda just brushed me off, repeated everything I said, and grunted that he could probably do it. How bout you Chris? Much experience welding sheet metal?

Nothing to prove, I have goggles on and it's Texas... it was probably ninety degrees in my garage. The sparks only hurt when you're getting showered with them, they're pretty easy to avoid for the most part and not a big deal when a few hit you. I wouldn't do that without goggles.

mysta2 said:
The welder I talked to kinda just brushed me off, repeated everything I said, and grunted that he could probably do it. How bout you Chris? Much experience welding sheet metal?

Nothing to prove, I have goggles on and it's Texas... it was probably ninety degrees in my garage. The sparks only hurt when you're getting showered with them, they're pretty easy to avoid for the most part and not a big deal when a few hit you. I wouldn't do that without goggles.

I've had good experience finding great welders at SS fab shops... tend to make restaurent and hospital counters, cabinets etc... their work is more finished looking too. Check out some local shops.

Back
Top Bottom