www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 75 CL360 Cafe Build  (Read 31447 times)

Offline TFWG

• CL350 Project
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2011, 03:29:43 »
Yeah my bike has some questionable aspects to it when it comes to legality. It doesn't have turn signals, a horn, high beam, or a front brake switch. The turn signal thing is actually legal here in CA for bikes manufactured before 1973, so I'm good there, but the others are things you wouldn't know without doing a full safety check. Not too worried about it... :)

That's great you liked the polish! It worked wonders for my alternator cover, my wheel hubs, and my forks. I'm still debating polishing the rest of my engine, but for now I'm leaving it. It's actually kind of sad the whole bike is at the painter's and there's nothing to work on anymore...
1971 CL350 Project In Progress
350racer.blogspot.com

Offline MrMister

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:10:59 »
Yeah my bike has some questionable aspects to it when it comes to legality. It doesn't have turn signals, a horn, high beam, or a front brake switch. The turn signal thing is actually legal here in CA for bikes manufactured before 1973, so I'm good there, but the others are things you wouldn't know without doing a full safety check. Not too worried about it... :)

That's great you liked the polish! It worked wonders for my alternator cover, my wheel hubs, and my forks. I'm still debating polishing the rest of my engine, but for now I'm leaving it. It's actually kind of sad the whole bike is at the painter's and there's nothing to work on anymore...

Yeah same here, thats why im bored enough to polish everything  :P . I tried a little trick today that a fellow enthusiast told me about, and seemed to work pretty well. Since my engine is completely apart, i took some oven cleaner to get inbetween the fins, then put all the top end pieces in the dishwasher, then hit it with some wd40 afterwards. Came out pretty good. But seriously, oven cleaner works a million times better than those high priced engine degreasers.
Also went to the place that im having it painting at today, and he said they wouldnt be able to powdercoat with the colour i want, but they can do a high grade paint. Oh well, itll have to do.

What colour scheme did you go for?

Offline MrMister

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2011, 10:34:01 »
Anyone know where i can find some decent rearsets that wont cost 1/3 of the bike?

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2011, 12:31:42 »
Anyone know where i can find some decent rearsets that wont cost 1/3 of the bike?
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=22119.msg255182
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline smithk4

• 71 CL 350 Cafe
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2011, 12:50:18 »
Dime City Cycles has some great universal rear-sets with a universal linkage set. Aluminum and one bolt to secure them - what more do you need. I just got mine last week and mocked em up on the bike over the weekend...worked great.
"If you don't like Will & Grace, there isn't something wrong with you, there's something wrong with Will.....he's a homosexual." - Clayton Bigsby

Offline TFWG

• CL350 Project
« Reply #25 on: Mar 24, 2011, 15:48:19 »
Thanks for the oven cleaner tip! I'll definitely try that out! I had my engine cases glass bead blasted and I put them in the dishwasher with, let's say, interesting results. I guess the freshly blasted aluminum doesn't take kindly to dishwashers...

I think I'm going with red on the top and silver on the bottom. I've been having the darndest time figuring out the color scheme. But I think I've now decided on it.

I saw in your earlier post that your fork tubes were bent. I have a straight set I'm willing to let go. There is some rust on the top part of both tubes, but the rust doesn't interfere with the fork seal.

If you want new fork tubes, I strongly recommend Frank's Forks.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011, 15:50:51 by TFWG »
350racer.blogspot.com

Offline MrMister

« Reply #26 on: Mar 24, 2011, 21:48:13 »
Thanks for the oven cleaner tip! I'll definitely try that out! I had my engine cases glass bead blasted and I put them in the dishwasher with, let's say, interesting results. I guess the freshly blasted aluminum doesn't take kindly to dishwashers...

I think I'm going with red on the top and silver on the bottom. I've been having the darndest time figuring out the color scheme. But I think I've now decided on it.

I saw in your earlier post that your fork tubes were bent. I have a straight set I'm willing to let go. There is some rust on the top part of both tubes, but the rust doesn't interfere with the fork seal.

If you want new fork tubes, I strongly recommend Frank's Forks.

Whoops, yeah i think it would be better to clean it before you blast it.
Oh cool, Thats the paint scheme i origionally wanted.
Thanks, but the guy i bought my engine from has a very good workshop so i had the forks straightened by him with one of those spinning machines. Perfect now.
This more or less the paint scheme youre doing?

Offline MrMister

« Reply #27 on: Mar 24, 2011, 21:50:43 »
Id like to know where that guy found those tank knee grips. Theyre definitely not stock, and its impossible to find cheap knockoffs.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011, 21:58:45 by VonYinzer »
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline TFWG

• CL350 Project
71 CB350 Cafe Project
« Reply #29 on: Mar 24, 2011, 22:01:32 »
haha yes that is exactly the paint scheme I'm going for. I actually modeled most of my bike after that bike. Rick and his kids did a pretty amazing job with the build. I looked for hours and did dozens of mockups for different paint schemes but I liked the red and silver the most. Mine should be ready in about six weeks I hope.

Are you modeling your bike after the red and silver one as well?
350racer.blogspot.com