www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1972 CB175 - Half Cafe  (Read 17751 times)

Offline jakeZ70

1972 CB175 - Half Cafe
« on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:36:24 »
After being mostly a voyeur on DTT, I've finally decided to post my project. I've been a fan of Japanese motorcycles since I was a kid and have become a fan of the style of cafe bikes. I don't have lots of experience as far as body and engine work, but I know the basics. This knowledge and community here seems pretty strong, so I'll appreciate any help I can get along the way.

Last year I picked up a 71 Honda CB175. My first bike in about ten years. After one accident twenty years ago and a couple of close calls I thought I had sworn them off. Yeah right. I had planned on turning the 175 into a cafe project, but it was in such good shape I couldn't bear to cut it up. A couple of months later the same exact bike goes up on Craig's List for 200 bucks. It's pretty rusty, but it runs and the side covers are intact. Sold!

I've been working on this project since last August, though I took the winter off for skiing. Too damn cold to do any serious work during the winter anyway. Still a decent amount of polishing and painting to to but it's finally rolling  :D

I also picked up a CB77 speedo and a CB200 tank. Both are pretty rough, but are cleaning up pretty well.

Offline jakeZ70

Re: 1972 CB175 - Half Cafe
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:42:17 »
A few more pics.

I'm looking for a center stand shaft and a brake pedal for the 72 CB175. Cash or trade. I have a couple of CB360 heads and a bunch of carb parts. I believe that a center stand shaft from a CB350 will also fit.

Offline FingerBanger

• You're all idiots.
    • The Collective
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:56:34 »
Looking for the stock rear brake lever? I believe I have one laying around from the 175ss I built. I'll dig through the garage today and check. If I find it, just whatever shipping is from Denver.

Offline ronnie

• Calm down and sail on
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2011, 15:32:56 »
At first glance on the homepage I thought that gauge cluster was one of those old diver bells that go on your head! HAHA!......I'm crazy.....sigh
HOLD FAST.

"'Today I Learned' that if you're going to drink all day you have to get started early." ~kop

CB350F/400Fpowered  "Dago": http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=35263.msg381531#msg381531

Offline Flying J

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Flying J Customs
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2011, 15:45:41 »
What is that gauge out of?

Offline jakeZ70

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2011, 20:06:36 »
Looking for the stock rear brake lever? I believe I have one laying around from the 175ss I built. I'll dig through the garage today and check. If I find it, just whatever shipping is from Denver.
Wow. Thanks. That would be great. Let me know if you find it.
At first glance on the homepage I thought that gauge cluster was one of those old diver bells that go on your head! HAHA!......I'm crazy.....sigh
Haha. Yeah. Actually it kind of does.
What is that gauge out of?
It's from a CB77 Superhawk. Not sure of the year though. Got a really good deal on ebay. They go for 2-3 bills just for the speedo NOS. I'm finishing getting it together today. It was one of the harder things I've worked on so far. I think it was half full of water for some period of time.

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2011, 20:29:24 »
Looks like a good start on a great little bike.

Have you test fitted that tank to the frame? I put the same tank on a 68 CL175, and the mounting screws for the chrome trim strips scratched the frame. Matter of fact, it was such a tight fit that I had to remove those screws just to get the tank off the bike.

But then again, the 68 had the sloper frame. So you would probably be good.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2011, 21:16:02 »
Nice pair of 175s.  I have had a string of CB77 Superhawks and much prefer the later style gauges like those on the 175.

Offline jonnyTHUNDERmaker

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2011, 01:33:54 »
Any progress lately. Ready for some more eye candy. Keep up the excellent work. That fender looks great!

Offline jakeZ70

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2011, 02:34:47 »
Not too much to update. I was laid off from my job recently, so most of my time and energy has been going into looking for a new job and freelance work. I have made some progress though, and would really like to finish it up before the snow flies. The electrical is the only thing that has me a little worried. I took a boat load of pictures and labeled everything, so hopefully it will go well.

I finally finished the speedometer. I think it came out pretty decent. Better than it was anyway. The rear fender is chopped and has its first coat of paint. The clear coat is stripped off of the side covers and I'm starting the polishing. Ruined the gaskets, so I had to order those.

I really wanted to paint the cylinder head black, but I just can't seem to get it clean enough. Between the grease and what looks like some kind of oxidation I think the paint would end up flaking off in a short period of time, so, I think I'm just going to stick with polishing a couple of parts and just clean up the rest the best I can.

I never noticed the 174cc detail before. Pretty cool.

As far as the paint goes, I'm having a little trouble with the clear coat. The front fender started "crackling" about a year after it was completed. I was able to sand and buff it out, though I would like to know what caused it. I am only using rattle cans. Rustoleum automotive paint, so I'm not expecting fantastic results, but I wasn't expecting it to do what it did. I am sanding between all of the coats of primer, paint and clear with 1000 grit wet paper. Is the 1000 too high? Should I go lower, or is it something else?