1972 CB175 - Half Cafe

Re: 1972 CB175 - Half Cafe - Torque Specs

Does anyone know of a good resource for torque specs? I have some in my manual, mainly for the engine, but nothing for the engine mounts, swing arm, or axle bolts.

Re: 1972 CB175 - Half Cafe - Damn

Made a little more progress today. Half of the exhaust is installed. Pretty simple, except for the part where I snapped one of the studs in half. Is it possible to remove the stud, or does it need to be drilled out? Any idea where I can get a replacement?
Also took the seat apart. Much more rust on the pan than I was expecting, but it's pretty solid. It looks like it shouldn't take too much work to match it up to the CB200 tank.
The bike obviously fell over at one point. Both the brake pedal and foot peg mounts are bent. I don't really want to spend the cash on replacements. I'm hoping I can get a body shop to straighten them out with a torch. To top off the list the kick starter doesn't clear the new pipes. Any idea if a 350 or 360 kick would fit and offer more clearance? I may need to get a torch taken to this as well.

Attachments

• header.jpg
    header.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 286
  • seatPan.jpg
    seatPan.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 259
  • cb175.jpg
    cb175.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 417
  • kickStart.jpg
    kickStart.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 290
The header stud is a double ended stud. I bet you can still get them from honda. Part 23 in this picure. Actual part #
92700-06050-0E

honda-cb175-super-sport-k0-cylinder-cylinder-head_mediumma000169e01_32cd.jpg

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. I installed new crush washers. I was expecting them to actually crush from the pressure, but that obviously isn't the case. Are you supposed to let the washers heat up first, then tighten the bolts. I feel like an idiot for asking.

Depends what kind. The copper ones actually crush. The cardboard looking ones i believe are a spiral piece of metal with fiber. These dont crush.

Most auto parts stores will have the same size stud in stock, heat and remove with vice grips, double up some nuts to install the new one.

I did the same thing to a header stud on my cb550, the two nuts trick didn't work for me, so I've just ordered a stud extracter off ebay, hopefully that will work.

I've made a little more progress. Got the broken stud removed. Thanks for the tips. It came right out after applying some heat.

The seat pan is cleaned up and ready for new cover and foam. I may give this a shot myself.

Tank is painted, and in the middle of being polished.

Anyone know know of any other kick-start levers that would fit a CB175 shaft and allow for more clearance than the stock kick start lever? The stock kick start is hitting the new exhaust. I know I could take it to an auto body shop and get it re-shaped a bit, but the cost would be pretty high.

Attachments

• cb_175_12.jpg
    cb_175_12.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 274
Re: 1972 CB175 - Half Cafe - Coopers Salvage

If you're from northern New England, and have been looking for a salvage yard, check out Coopers in West Franklin. Prices are very reasonable, and they have a pretty large inventory.

Attachments

• coopers_salvage.jpg
    coopers_salvage.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 279
jakeZ70 said:
I've made a little more progress. Got the broken stud removed. Thanks for the tips. It came right out after applying some heat.

The seat pan is cleaned up and ready for new cover and foam. I may give this a shot myself.

Tank is painted, and in the middle of being polished.

Anyone know know of any other kick-start levers that would fit a CB175 shaft and allow for more clearance than the stock kick start lever? The stock kick start is hitting the new exhaust. I know I could take it to an auto body shop and get it re-shaped a bit, but the cost would be pretty high.

Why not just heat it up and bend it yourself?

I would, but I don't think a butane torch is going to do the job. You need acetylene to get the steel hot enough to bend.

How did you mount the rear end of the tank? The mount bracket from a cb200t will bolt on a cb175 frame. That's how I did it.

eyhonda said:
How did you mount the rear end of the tank? The mount bracket from a cb200t will bolt on a cb175 frame. That's how I did it.
I haven't fully mounted it yet, but I think I'm going to use the CB175 mounting bracket and some heavy duty zip ties, or a hose clamp. Between that and the seat, I think it will hold ok.

The CB200t bracket will locate it correctly (further back), without having to use zip ties. The CB175 tank is a bit shorter, I think. If you can't find a cb200t bracket, you might be able to locate the 175 bracket by redrilling holes or weld an extension. Just a few ideas to have a cleaner install. It sucks when the tank moves around when you don't want it to.

really nice build. are these the original fenders you just cut?

also, could you post some images of your battery box set up and how you made it? need to make one for my cb125 next week.

cheers. thanks

Back
Top Bottom