1972 CB175 - Half Cafe

theconjuring said:
really nice build. are these the original fenders you just cut?

also, could you post some images of your battery box set up and how you made it? need to make one for my cb125 next week.

cheers. thanks
Thanks. Yes, they are the original fenders. I just chopped them down with a metal cutting disk and a grinder.
The battery box is the stock box, I just painted it red.

It's coming along. Not as much time to work on it as I'd like.

Up next:

- Finish trouble shooting the wiring. The CB77 speedo kind of monkey wrenched the wiring a bit.
- Get the carbs fueled up.
- Finish installing the cables.
- Start it!

Is it possible to run a single filament braked light on a dual filament set up, and have it work as a marker light as well? I mistakenly purchased a single filament brake light.
Is it as simple as purchasing a dual filament bulb and soldering an additional wire onto the fixture?

Attachments

• hondaCB175.jpg
    hondaCB175.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 248
No, it won't work (very easy). The contacts of the bulb won't line up with the single contact centered in the socket. You'll have to change the socket in the fixture. You might be able to find one at an auto parts electrical section.

jakeZ70 said:
Thanks. Yes, they are the original fenders. I just chopped them down with a metal cutting disk and a grinder.
The battery box is the stock box, I just painted it red.

Nice job on the fenders! I did a similar chop on the rear on my cb175 (now gone):
Resize%20of%20rear%20cafe%20fender%201.JPG

eyhonda said:
No, it won't work (very easy). The contacts of the bulb won't line up with the single contact centered in the socket. You'll have to change the socket in the fixture. You might be able to find one at an auto parts electrical section.
I was afraid of that. I'll look around and see if I can find a dual filament socket that will fit.

eyhonda said:
Nice job on the fenders! I did a similar chop on the rear on my cb175 (now gone):
Resize%20of%20rear%20cafe%20fender%201.JPG

Thanks. I saw that 175 on your site a long time ago when I was first starting this project. Before I even found this forum. You have, and had some nice bikes. That Superhawk was a beaut. Must have been hard to part with that one.

A little more progress this week. All of the cables are installed. New plugs. Points cleaned and adjusted. Another oil change.
The tank isn't quite finished yet, so I funneled some fuel into the carbs. It took about 10-15 kicks to realize that the choke was open. Once I closed it it took about three more kicks and she came to life. Nice smooth idle. After working on this on and off for over a year, it was a pretty good feeling.
I'm taking it to my mechanic this week to work on the brakes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get them adjusted properly, and to be honest, that's the one area that I would rather have some experience behind. Stopping is good.
I'd love to think I'll have this on the road in another week. Riding time is running short.

Yeah. As usual work gets in the way. I have made progress though. And learned a couple of things.

The electric is done. Everything is working. I'm surprised. :D

I finally found a way to bend the kick starter that was hitting the exhaust. MAPP gas. Why I haven't been able to find anything about this on DTT is beyond me (then again, I had never heard of an impact driver until a year ago, and that should be the number one tool you purchase before trying to work on a vintage bike). I see many people here resorting to going to a weld shop to get pieces like the kick starter bent. I almost did. At 50 bucks an hour, it's not cheap.
You can get a MAPP gas and torch set up at the hardware store for 50 bucks. A cylinder of MAPP gas is only 10 bucks, and I think you can use it with a regular propane torch head. I'm not positive. Heating the metal up only takes about five minutes. I used a breaker bar and a vice to do the bending. Be patient. You need to go slow.

I'm finishing setting up the tank next, then I'm bringing it to my local vintage mechanic to sort out the brakes. So close.

Attachments

• honda_cb175_kickStart.jpg
    honda_cb175_kickStart.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 261
jakeZ70 said:
I finally found a way to bend the kick starter that was hitting the exhaust. MAPP gas.

Thank you for posting this. I have a CL175 that has a CB175 exhaust with cheap shorty mufflers on it so I've encountered this problem. Just curious, did you try and bend it with a propane torch before using the MAPP?

Straight propane doesn't burn hot enough to get the steel to the bending point. MAP gas has another type of fuel mixed with propane that makes it burn hotter. Again, you may not be able to use a regular propane torch head with MAP gas. I'm not sure if the steel is hard enough to stand up to the heat.

Glad to see progress. Good tip on the map gas torch to bend the kick starter. I'd rather buy tools than pay a shop, especially if its cheaper.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/products.htm

Send your hubs to these people for new linings, then buy new pads, and your brakes should be good to go. And of course new cables

After getting the brakes sorted out by my mechanic I was finally able to go for a ride. It 's running really well, but I have some things to sort out.

The biggest problem is the clutch and timing cover gaskets are leaking. I replaced both of these this year, but they aren't working very well. I'm assuming I just purchased a cheap set. I remember the fit not being that great. Anyone know of a good resource for decent set of gaskets, or a good liquid gasket solution?

The speedometer and tachometer aren't functioning. One needs a new cable, not sure about the other.

The pipes are much louder than I figured they would be. I think I'm going to try and build a set of baffles.

New foam and cover for the seat. The ride home was pretty painful.

I'll post pics soon.

Make sure the covers and the mating surfaces are flat and clean. Check on a flat surface and use sandpaper or a file to flatten. Any nick in the aluminum will leak. HondaBond is a good sealant. Use only in a non-pressurized situation. I think there is a high temperature version too (HT).

I was pretty thorough in cleaning the surfaces. I thought everything was flat. I've never used HondaBond. Is it used in place of a gasket? Is it better than using a regular gasket?

Thanks. I had planned to get it done by an upholsterer, but this late in the season makes it feel like a waste of money. I'm probably going to pick up some closed cell foam and try to put something together so it's at least ride able on those odd warm winter days. My main concern is fixing the oil leaks. If I get that done I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom