www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 436757 times)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2011, 08:04:45 »
So I assume that metal pipe is stock? And I should be able to back it out?

Will give it a go. Worst case I get a replacement.
My Lil CB350F, the forerunner to your 400 had a steel line that attached to the front caliper so good possibility... there are tons of parts sources who have factory micro-fishe pages you can look at to check what was OEM.

*EDIT*
Yep, #14 on the schematic...
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1975-honda-cb400f-front-brake-caliper-disc/o/m9225sch401287
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011, 08:22:20 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2011, 18:10:02 »
Oh yeah. Let me know if you could use a parts fiche and manual (both PDF formats)  ;D PM me your email if you like.

Sorry, should have offered that up sooner. David Silver Spares (back home  ;) ) have good stock for these if you need to go that route? I just picked up a replica exhaust and some engine parts. Delivered in 3 days! I've had stuff come from Perth take a week.

hang in there.

cheers
ian

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2011, 21:04:22 »
bikeboy, PM sent. That would be awesome thanks! Got a Haynes manual coming from eBay, but another version would be a huge help.

Got the grinder out in force today to trim a bit of fat:

Going for a clean look where the airbox was, all the electrics and battery are going to be relocated under the rear seat cowl.

Certainly cleans up the frame, although I did realise a grinder - guard + fingers = ouch! A couple of times too.

Going to cut of the damaged frame rails soon and have a question about the rear uprights. My right hand side seems to have a kink in it. Is this how it should be or has it taken a whack too?

Also can someone comment on my plan to fix the damaged frame? Smaller tube inside main tube to brace joint whilst welding.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011, 21:50:48 by neevo »

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline neevo

« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2011, 00:38:02 »
More work. Bike had the rear rim damaged by the forklift too, so the easy way to release the hub was deployed:

Getting the brake plate off was a total bitch, turns out the arm was fused to the plate with the brakes on slightly. A fist full of muscle, some WD40 and she was free. Need to polish the arm to make sure it works well in future:

The hubs are going to get blasted and polished.

Started on the front hub too, took a while but managed to get the bearings out. Not too bad in the end, but replacing them all anyway, anyone got bearing numbers so I can go to my local bearing shop?

Lastly a bit of a tidy up and grabbed the forks to put on the bench. Looks like they have taken a whack as they are bent from the lower triple clamp, is this something to worry about? I know the travel is not affected:

Running out of free things now, need to wait for some more cash and Christmas (Santa is bringing a impact wrench, compressor, sandblaster and polisher :))).
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2011, 00:39:37 by neevo »

Offline neevo

« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:00:00 »
Had a crack at fixing the front caliper, turns out the metal tube thread and bleed nipple are well and truly stuck! Snapped an easy out trying to back it out. Smashed out the pads and turns out the piston is screwed too.

Anyone got a front caliper for a '76 400F they want to sell?

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:23:41 »
bikeboy, PM sent. That would be awesome thanks! Got a Haynes manual coming from eBay, but another version would be a huge help.

Also can someone comment on my plan to fix the damaged frame? Smaller tube inside main tube to brace joint whilst welding.

no probs. email sent.

That 'kink' on the back-right looks the same as my frame, so I think you're good there.

While I've braced plenty of frames, I've never cut and shut a section, so I'b be reluctant to offer advice there, but I know plenty of others have used a system of a smaller plug inside the new piece to locate and secure it. Should be some pics somewhere?

Those forks will need to be either fixed or replaced. You may be able to have them rolled flat, or keep an eye out for another set. Either way, they're no good like that.

Toys for christmas is always good. I'm sure you'll get good use out of 'em.

cheers
ian

Offline neevo

« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:22:35 »
Cheers Ian. Will look into fixing the tubes, never heard of rolling them to fix bends, might get my google on tonight.

Had a crack at mocking up a bump stop:

Stripped to loom down to see if any of the electrical bits would fit:

Thinking of boxing in the rear frame rails so that I can run the cables, what do people generally do?

Definitely going to have to get one of those fancy Li batteries as there isn't much room in the bump stop and I want to keep the electric leg.

Offline neevo

« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:42:30 »
Those forks will need to be either fixed or replaced. You may be able to have them rolled flat, or keep an eye out for another set.

Got a couple of names already, looks like only $40 odd a leg too :)

Offline hillsy

« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:18:23 »
You can find bearing numbers over here:

http://www.bikebearingshop.co.uk/C5.htm

Offline neevo

« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 15:26:36 »
You can find bearing numbers over here:

http://www.bikebearingshop.co.uk/C5.htm

Legend! What about tapered bearings for the head stem? Or do I need to buy a kit for that?