Yamaha XS750 -77 Budget build.

thewhip

Hello!

Sweden calling.

Been surfing around on this forum for a couple of weeks and really like it so I decided to make a build thread here as well. When I took my racing license bought an rr-bike and started Roadracing I decided not to ride bike on the streets at all. But then after a few months I changed my mind. I bought myself an old Yamaha XS7502D-77 with 33000km on the ODO for 270$ in April.

Here is the starting object.

Attachments

• DSC_1533.JPG
    DSC_1533.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,588
  • DSC_1536.JPG
    DSC_1536.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 849
  • DSC_1552.JPG
    DSC_1552.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 835
  • DSC_1554.JPG
    DSC_1554.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 763
I did some clean up, turned the handlebar and removed a lot of crap from the bike.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then I highsided my race bike and the build froze..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wicked, another triple! Be sure to check out yamaha-triples.org for pretty much all the info you'll ever need!

Then when I got better I started with cleaning the carbs and ordered new inlet rubbers.
attachment.php

I cut the frame. And removed the original batterybox
attachment.php

Refurbished my sluggy tacho and wrapped it with 3M Carbon fiber vinyl, which I am going to wrap the tank and cafe seat with later on as well since it is a budget build. Racing is fucking expensive...
attachment.php

attachment.php

I did become a member at the Swedish Triples forum and got a phonecall immediatly, there was a man who was interested in buying or swapping my 3-2 original exhaust and headers. We swapped and I got 3-1 Motad exhaust. Much nicer look and I can change muffler or build whatever I want on those headers.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I made a battery box out of sheet metal by hand (without special tools, just a hammer, pliers and a vice), but I think I am making a regular seat pan and mount the battery under the seat instead after som DTT-surfing.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then I started forming the cafe seat.. and this is where I am right now..
attachment.php

Mr.Wilde said:
Wicked, another triple! Be sure to check out yamaha-triples.org for pretty much all the info you'll ever need!

I am a full (paying) member at the Swedish triples forum and also a forum member at yamaha-triples and yamaha triples uk.

My plan is getting it rideable as soon as possible and then in the autumn start the bigger project.

The bigger project will be (in time).

-Paint job (the cf vinyl is just my budget solution now)
-Clipons
-Cleaner instrument
-Smaller headlight
-Engine rebuild and paint
-Carbon fiber cafe seat
-Yamaha R1 brake master cylinder front and back
-Rearsets from Yamaha R1
-Drilled brake discs or total brake upgrade.
-Exhaust rebuild (sidepipe, under seat or a megaphone)
-Shocks and forks adapted so it can be used on track. Got one 4 km from where I live.
-USD-forks (in a longer perspective)
-Spoke wheels (just a dream since it seams quite impossible)
-

add on if there is something you think of..

Sorry about the getoff, but welcome to DTT. The Triples are great and I am trying to find time to finish mine. Bike looks good so far.

BigBSBusa said:
Sorry about the getoff, but welcome to DTT. The Triples are great and I am trying to find time to finish mine. Bike looks good so far.

Thanks! I have been riding it a bit and it is quite nice actually. Corners fine and accelerates ok for beeing a bike older than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some fibreglass today, first time.. I think I let it to someone else in the future.. It going to take a lot of bondo to make it even look acceptable... Well you gotta try.
0240d2a2-cbea-814e.jpg

0240d2a2-cbfd-b76d.jpg
0240d2a2-cc0a-26e7.jpg

yeah seat building is not as easy as it looks. But you learn alot by trying things. Gonna get heavy if you use to much body filler. Maybe just paint it with a couple coats of resin and see if that smooths it out first.

axeugene27 said:
yeah seat building is not as easy as it looks. But you learn alot by trying things. Gonna get heavy if you use to much body filler. Maybe just paint it with a couple coats of resin and see if that smooths it out first.

I have a friend 100km away from whete I live who had a company that made fairings, hoods, roofs and so on in fiber glass and carbon fiber, he will do my next seat for me, in carbon fiber.

He also said that I should smooth things out with fiber glass coating in 3-5mm layers and grind it smooth between each layer.

My thought is... Ebay is your friend.

But on second hand, this summer it aint going to be beautiful. I just want a seat so I can ride it. In the winter the build is getting started.

Building a seat is brutal. Check out my build for all the fiber glassing experience you will ever want. It did come out looking good in the end but required me to do a lot of cutting, more fiber glassing, and just a little body filler to finish it. My next one will be a lot easier and prettier.

Good luck with the build and let me know if you need any info. I've done almost everything to my bike and learned a lot along the way.

Assembled the bike yesterday (mostly with duct tape) to take it to the track!

Well...

It didnt run to smooth but ok. It vibrates though, a lot!! I had fun though it handled very badly and wobbles in and out of every corner.

I just let the pictures talk..

02466e01-6700-e36b.jpg

02466e01-6734-ec69.jpg

02466e01-674d-432c.jpg

02466e01-6769-ea83.jpg

02466e01-6781-ab9c.jpg

02466e01-6790-8f88.jpg

02466e01-67ca-c6fa.jpg

02466e01-67e3-2539.jpg

Ok, update:

Made a sketch to get some inspiration and then it all happened!

ene4u7ap.jpg

Started with this:
6a8uhysu.jpg

tevygu3a.jpg

Tear out began...

7y9u7esu.jpg

te2e8e7e.jpg

5ejuruze.jpg

And now we are here.

neneruza.jpg

Started cleaning up of the engine, 30 years does make a fine coat of dirt.

nuruqute.jpg

atenaten.jpg

ysygy4a6.jpg

Also ordered black aluminum clipons and Dunlop GT 501 tires.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359642461.079575.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359642461.079575.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 366
Back
Top Bottom