What happened to 2strokeworld??

It happens... Granted I don't host 2strokeworld, but my hosting account isn't setup to direct bill, so I forget sometimes...

They ran it lean, and it seized-up......but after it cooled down, it started again. :p :p

hahaha bing bing bing.....bing.....pow...............kick kick push

It's been down going on a week now. Just a white page, which is odd. My guess is there's an issue with the forum table, but it could be just about anything.

I have been seeing a "suspended" page for days now. Probably the site owner is out of town or sick and the hosting package expired.

I reached out to M in SC who has contacted the site owner and to John at Economy Cycle to see if he knows anything.

You and me both. I managed to port a set of GT550 cylinders since the site went down - they have been in the shop for almost a year. What a PIA to port intakes and transfers. Exhausts were easy.

Just made an account here as a backup since 2strokeworld is down... anyone have any info on when it'll be back up and running?

More importantly, what happened to www.MotorcycleRoads.us? Aside from the maps and more extensive database of roads on bestbikingroads.com, www.MotorcycleRoads.us was the other most useful tool for finding twisty roads to ride our modified sporty vintage machines on due to the user feedback comments available... I'm really bummed about this. It's really useful to look at the comments over several years to monitor the pavement conditions and other issues, as well as general feedback from riders, for instance if a sport bike rider says it's twisty versus a Harley rider saying it's twisty... Lots of info that was highly useful was contained in those reviews.

Chuck78 said:
More importantly, what happened to www.MotorcycleRoads.us? Aside from the maps and more extensive database of roads on bestbikingroads.com, www.MotorcycleRoads.us was the other most useful tool for finding twisty roads to ride our modified sporty vintage machines on due to the user feedback comments available... I'm really bummed about this. It's really useful to look at the comments over several years to monitor the pavement conditions and other issues, as well as general feedback from riders, for instance if a sport bike rider says it's twisty versus a Harley rider saying it's twisty... Lots of info that was highly useful was contained in those reviews.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

This is becoming more of a glaring problem across the internet. Many active user forum sites are full of good information but they are running on an outdated, unsupported software ( that was fine 10 + years ago...) You have admins that are struggling to keep up and keep things patched and working on a site that people depend on. Then, what about migrating to a new, better supported platform? Is the admin good enough to keep all that info from being lost when moving the site? Do they really make the best choices or the easiest ones? Drives me nuts to see good sites fall down because of their admins. This forum is running on good software but so many others are not.

I'd assume some of that has to do with cost.

There has to be a lot of data flowing through a forum such as this one.

J-Rod10 said:
I'd assume some of that has to do with cost.
There has to be a lot of data flowing through a forum such as this one.

There are paid software setups for hosting forums but some of the very best forum software options are still free and still well supported. Simple Machines Forum, like DoTheTon runs on (and SOHC4 for instance) is free. Hosting it somewhere costs money and that's why Tim has setup member donation options to cover his costs. Web hosting has gotten very competitive and the costs have come down substantially from what they were several years ago but it still costs real money to keep a high traffic site online. Tim deserves kudos that he has figured out how to do this without blanketing the site with external advertising networks and clickbait page footers. The sites that do so are ugly, slow, very frustrating to view, generally low content value so I tend to avoid them whenever possible. I believe you can tell alot about the quality and commitment to the site by the quality and type advertising they use.

I think a lot of it has to do with the aging forum base as well.

Admins are less and less inclined to keep up with the new software as it changes, and what I'm finding is a lot of the younger folks don't even bother with forums anymore they just do facebook.
Hell I even see it here, a lot of our long time members are not active anymore, instead they just post their bike photos and questions on facebook.

As much as I hate to say it I think forums are dying, and with that we're going to lose immeasurable knowledge and content.
And facebook is so poorly setup as a replacement that it's never going to take it's place.

On the GMC motorhome forum I frequent there are less and less users every day as the GMC motorhome facebook group gets bigger and bigger. The problem is the facebook group is not setup in a way so that you can learn anything, it's just a bunch of photos and comments with no real structure.

With 2sworld the owners card got stolen and it took him a while to sort it out.

I agree though that there is lots of old software and that to an extent forums are dying. Facebook was a net loss for the internet. Reddit on the other hand, if they don’t mess it up (they are trying), is a gold mine as it’s basically a forum.

Back
Top Bottom