Swan's Honda CB400F restoration, my fifth one

Swan,
Thanks for sharing your restoration> I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your thread.
Great job on the restoration and an excellent job with the documentation!!!

Thanks Sk! She is running well and going up for sale. Hate to see her go, but I am love with my Gold Star.

Dingo, I do not know the angle but here is a view of the side stand while parked on the center stand. It is a fixed position and the side stand mounts to a lug on the frame.

Yeah I'm bumping an old thread. Swan, I used your rubber renew formula and worked great. Dropped an old intake boot that was so stiff I thought it had a metal ring in there. 8 hours later soft like new.

I have the opportunity to buy a decent, but yet unridden (for a long time), CB400F stored indoors in a warm garage. But I'm debating with myself if I should spend the money on a "small bike". I've done up small bikes before with MZs, and RD350s, but uncertain if this is worth it in the long run?

What do you reckon, go with a more powerful bike? It'd be a commuter, go everywhere bike for me.

Just fantastic work as always swan. One of these days I'll message you and swing down to say hello. I'm just north of the cities in Blaine. Keep up the good work and if you have a link to your current build, throw that up on here eh?

lassenc said:
I have the opportunity to buy a decent, but yet unridden (for a long time), CB400F stored indoors in a warm garage. But I'm debating with myself if I should spend the money on a "small bike". I've done up small bikes before with MZs, and RD350s, but uncertain if this is worth it in the long run?

What do you reckon, go with a more powerful bike? It'd be a commuter, go everywhere bike for me.

The 400F will handle those duties with aplomb.

If you're not buying it, share the whereabouts of the 400 in question.

lassenc said:

I'd say it depends on how far and how fast is your commute. CB400Fs can do the ton, but you're not going to want to wind them up like that for long periods of time. They will cruise pretty well at 75-80 or so, and you can switch up sprockets if you're doing more long distance riding. Great bikes, I've had a couple and loved 'em, but not particularly powerful. If the price is right, try it out.

CB400f are amazing bikes, particularly for shorter, smaller riders. If you are of average build or large, get a CB550. Almost as fast as a CB750, but much lighter and more fun.

Thanks Bruno, No personal projects at the moment, but bought a house with a garage which I am adding some electrical, drywall etc for my bikes. I will start my my friend Andrews 1967 BSA Spifire soon and will post pics once I began.

swan said:
CB400f are amazing bikes, particularly for shorter, smaller riders. If you are of average build or large, get a CB550. Almost as fast as a CB750, but much lighter and more fun.

Thanks Bruno, No personal projects at the moment, but bought a house with a garage which I am adding some electrical, drywall etc for my bikes. I will start my my friend Andrews 1967 BSA Spifire soon and will post pics once I began.

Can't wait. I enjoy your pictures quite a bit! Let me know if you need a 6 pack one of these weekends and I'll convince the wife to do something with the gals :)

Sold. Just when I got an empty slot in my stable, a 1973 Moto Guzzi GT850 followed me home...

Back
Top Bottom