www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 71656 times)

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
Hi All  :D

I love motorcycles. This is my 4th one and I decided it was time to take on the challenge of rebuilding a bike myself. I am not a mechanic but can be resourceful when I need to be. I love learning. I love wrenching. I respect wisdom. This is why I am posting here, to learn from others, get advice and guidance along the way. I work on a computer from Monday to Friday but just can't wait for Saturday's wrench!  8)

Here's what I'm dealing with:
It's a 1973 CB350G (the one with the front disc brake). I purchased the bike for more than I would like to admit ($1500) and it was not running ( I know, I know..). I justified the price because CB350's are in demand in the area I live in and there are not many around, especially so close to where I live. Also, he gave me a box of parts with it. I was happy. It had been buried deep in his garage for approx 3 years and was starting to get some surface rust and a whole lot of cobwebs. It has approx 33,000 miles (seems a lot but I intend to rebuild the engine), battery was dead, 3 yr old gas in the tank with rust inside the tank, engine turned over, brakes not ceased, tyres almost brand new. I came to the conclusion that the bike was well maintained and decided to go for it.

What I intend to do:
- dismantle entire bike
- recondition all aluminum to mirror shine
- rebuild engine with upgrades
- fresh PC on frame and select parts
- upgraded rims, spokes and tyres
- upgraded front brake, possibly dual disc??
- upgraded suspension in front and rear, stock forks rebuilt, possible inverted forks??
- custom seat, headlight, running/brake light
- clip on bars, upgraded front controls
- brand new wiring harness with Motogadet M-unit & components
- upgraded battery
- redesigned and repainted tank
- upgraded chain and sprockets
- possible upgrade to electronic ignition system
- upgraded rear sets

I'll post more of where I'm currently tomorrow and some pics of the inspiration I have been cultivating. Thanks and sorry again for such a long post, they will be short and more concise in the future.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014, 13:36:27 by Saturdays Wrench »
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline Saturdays Wrench

Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 13:40:39 »
Here is some inspiration pics for now that I have gathered from just doing a little research online. I don't know if I want to go with clip-ons or clubman style. I don't think I will go with a cafe style seat but rather a more bobber style with the end kicked up slightly so it's not like a diving board.

Build progress pics/video to come. In the meantime does anyone have any advice for cleaning/shining the aluminum parts?
I would like the side covers to be nice and clean like BOTs bike (black & orange 350 below).

Thanks!
Wrench it Up!

Offline MotoMadness

• Streetfighter & Cafe Racer Parts !!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 15:23:22 »
We just finished up one.  Let us know if you have any questions or need anything.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 15:41:02 »
For the side covers, it's just remove them and polish.

BTW I'm in Toronto too.  Would like to see some more pics of the rack / bags that seem to be on the bike from the photos.  I'd be interested in buying them from you if you're selling.

tim@dotheton.com
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 16:19:25 »
We just finished up one.  Let us know if you have any questions or need anything.
Wow it looks awesome man, great job! Thanks for offering up your help, I would for sure love to hear your input when I post some questions. I will hit you up when I get stuck. Off the bat though I know there are 2 common problems with this engine that people have since resolved or figured out ways to combat them/replaced with upgraded parts, I know one has to do with thew Cam chain tensioner or the rollers or something? What is the other common problem with the 350? I read it a while ago but have since forgot where I read it.

Thanks and again great job on the bike, thanks for sharing!
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 16:21:45 »
For the side covers, it's just remove them and polish.

BTW I'm in Toronto too.  Would like to see some more pics of the rack / bags that seem to be on the bike from the photos.  I'd be interested in buying them from you if you're selling.

tim@dotheton.com

Tim, I sent you an email buddy! Thanks for getting in touch. Part pics coming soon, talk soon.
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 23:18:54 »
Back to the progress! My first teardown session went pretty smoothly. I am learning a lot as I go and just taking my time with it. Again, if you see or read about me doing anything out of the ordinary I would love to hear your feedback. I want to learn as much as possible.

Please excuse the mess in the background of the pictures and video. It's not my house and I don't live there but if it were up to me, 90% of the stuff would be in the junk yard! I'm working with what I have and things are getting done. I plan to organize more over the holidays.

I will be documenting this entire process on YouTube. I plan to even visit/interview some mechanics/builders/fellow riders for input down the road so it should be an interesting series to learn from and I hope you subscribe and follow along with me.

Here is episode 1 of my project:

Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014, 00:45:06 by Saturdays Wrench »
Wrench it Up!

Offline Toxic Motorwerks

• First time builder learning all from youtube
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 20:43:40 »
Great start and great videos. Looking forward to more.
OTTW: Order of the Temple on Two Wheels

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 23:18:54 »
Some interesting stuff, but I'd avoid going for velocity stacks on a street bike, compounded by no rear inner fender as seen in some of those photos. And run a front fender or a brace (unless you want to look at it and not ride it). Just my 2 cents worth...
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.