www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 74207 times)

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2014, 16:45:50 »
Redliner, awesome stuff man! Thanks so much for the advice/guidance, really appreciate it. There are some upgrades I want to do to the engine so it will be worked on no matter what, with the help of a professional. It's a whole learning experience for me so I really wanted to get my hands into everything. I'm learning so much and don't want to stop!

Glad you're on board as you will no doubt be of help again.. Cheers!
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline Redliner

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2014, 16:54:36 »
As far as this board goes, the true blue veterans are going to be racers like Teazer and kopcicle. If there's anything you're scratching you're head over as far as which performance parts mingle well, that would be my top resource. bradj doesn't Honda, not at all, but he at least knows as much about four strokes in general to be of considerable help as well.

I'll leave it at this, before you upgrade a part, you have to ask if that is the bottle neck. You can have the hottest cam gracing this earth, but it will simply starve if the intake and exhaust won't support it.

You may also talk to Texasstar. He managed to take a 200cc bucket racer up to 99mph, at least last I heard, and that was his first build!
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2014, 17:08:56 »
I totally hear what you are saying about the upgrades, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for those resources, they will most certainly come in handy.. I appreciate it man!!
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 13:04:27 »
Can anyone please advise on these types of springs/shocks for the front forks? I really like the way they look and would like to do something similar with my build. I'm not sure what to look for or what size, etc to buy.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2014, 13:38:25 »
That is a CL fork. The CL does not use an internal spring. What you see is the only means of suspension for the CL. I think it's supposed to allow for more cushion over the entire distance of travel compared to the tightly coiled CB springs, which are stiffer.

Since you want performance, consider swapping a front end with larger forks. The later model CB450 has larger forks and I believe swap right over with the entire tree. Look into that.

I've never worked on a CB/CL 350 that didn't have slightly tweaked forks. You'll notice when you do a wheel alignment that it just won't straighten out. I had to bend both of my forks and replace a bent tree. 33mm is just too damn small.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2014, 14:08:44 »
That is a CL fork. The CL does not use an internal spring. What you see is the only means of suspension for the CL. I think it's supposed to allow for more cushion over the entire distance of travel compared to the tightly coiled CB springs, which are stiffer.

Since you want performance, consider swapping a front end with larger forks. The later model CB450 has larger forks and I believe swap right over with the entire tree. Look into that.

Thanks Redliner!

Hmm ok so the external springs are a bit softer? I guess that's not as good as the suspension on there now, say if I were to add some progressive springs to the forks I currently have? Would you recommend that option more?
Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2014, 14:16:32 »
You're stock springs are progressive. They get tighter on one end. ;D

How fast do you plan to go? How will you use the bike? Is form more important than function?

On a side note, I'll warn you now not to waste your money on VM30 or VM32 carbs. That seems to be a reflexive action to anybody trying to cafe one of these for the first time and it's a wrong one. More on that later.

Offline CALfeRacer

• Fat man on a little bike
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2014, 15:50:22 »

On a side note, I'll warn you now not to waste your money on VM30 or VM32 carbs. That seems to be a reflexive action to anybody trying to cafe one of these for the first time and it's a wrong one. More on that later.
I'm interested to know why not to put VM30s on. I'm in the planning stage of a CB350 that doesn't have carbs and was considering going with VMs, either in 28 or 30.
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Afflicted by BAS: Bike Acquisition Syndrome. There's always room for one more!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2014, 15:52:38 »
You're stock springs are progressive. They get tighter on one end. ;D

How fast do you plan to go? How will you use the bike? Is form more important than function?

Function is probably the most important.. Bike will be used for leisure/semi daily rider. I'd like it to be a bit faster than stock but that being said, I'm not taking it on any tracks. Just want it fun & fast! 
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2014, 15:53:44 »
I'm interested to know why not to put VM30s on. I'm in the planning stage of a CB350 that doesn't have carbs and was considering going with VMs, either in 28 or 30.

Quite intrigued also as I've heard or and seen a lot of builds using these carbs and was fully planing on implementing them.
Wrench it Up!