www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 70667 times)

Offline Redliner

Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2014, 16:21:25 »
Considering the price that DCC lists a set of 32's for, it's a wonder nobody considers their options in the first place.

The idea is more carb means more air means more power. That ain't so when the valve guide bosses take up the whole damn port. There are some bottlenecks in the 350 and it ain't necessarily the stock carb.

Smaller carbs offer more take off power. I run VM26's that I pulled off of a Yamaha Banshee 2-stroke 350cc quad with stock motor and ports. Cost me $100. Once you run this setup, you'll wonder why Honda didn't choose the same. I'm told 28mm would be better for the top end, WOT, but I've never seen any sound advice for anything larger when it comes to slide carbs.

Talk to CrazyPJ about carbs. He likes the Honda twins and has a lot of experience here.

As for the suspension, if you're not hooning it up (often) then those CL forks may work for you. Just know they're really springy and dive on braking.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:06:56 »
Cheers Redliner! The info is really helpful. I think I may just stick with the springs I currently have, but will do a bit more research. I will also look into the whole carb thing when it comes to it, not there yet though. Really appreciate your input though  8)
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:09:45 »
So for my 4th session I wanted to tackle those striped bolts on the crank case cover and remove the sprocket, chain, rear wheel, swing arm and shocks. After talking it over with my buddy Rob, an experienced bike builder who runs Bullit Customs Cycles, I felt pretty confident that this was the way to go. Luckily my dad (aka "Crazy Joe") has like every tool imaginable, so he knew exactly what I needed when I told him what was going on. He busts out an 8mm metal drill bit and I go to town on the bolts.. Eats through them with no problems and I get the cover off. Didn't even need vice grips when I got the cover off, which is a bit perplexing, just loosened the studs with my fingers. I know Redliner said not to drill into the case but it was my only option at that point. Damage to the case was very very minimal.. plus I kind of like the battle scars.

The chain and rear wheel assembly came off with no problems at all, same with the shocks and swing arm. I am actually feeling really good about this tear down. I never realized how amazing I would feel after going through the bike like this and I seriously recommend it to those of you who are unfamiliar with their bikes or just don't feel comfortable. Just get yourself a manual and take something apart! I seriously feel like I am really understanding the vehicle so much more the further I get into this.. it's a great feeling.

Here's the video if you're interested to see how it all went:

Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:12:09 »
The reason the bolt came out with your finger is that tension is applied by the bolt head.

Bolts are held in place by their elasticity. When you spin it clockwise, the threads pull the bolt in, obviously. Once the head reaches the surface, the bolt will stretch as you turn it since the head is holding it back.

Sometimes a bolt will lose elasticity with time and use.

Get a torque wrench and check all of the applicable bolts are torqued to spec. That axle nut is usually 65 ft/lbs or more and the rear axle about the same. Very important.

Replace the swing arm bushings with brass. They're a slight interference fit, so you'll need to freeze the brass and heat the swingarm and press the two together, preferably without just beating it in.

I think I saw a ball in your clutch throw-out lever, is this correct? If so, keep track of this and make sure it's still round.
I also see that your clutch rod has a ball-end. You do not need this ball if you have this ball end. In my experience you won't be able to properly adjust the clutch if you have it and don't need it, or need it and don't have it. Did you ever kick the bike over to feel compression with the ball fitted?

As for wheels, I don't believe you'll comfortably fit more than a 1.85" rim on the front with a 3.00" tyre. 2.15" on the rear with a 90 or 100mm with 90% profile would be the max. I'd prefer a 90 back there. If the rubber is too wide, you lose sidewall structure.

I think CB350's have 18" front and rear, CL has 19" front. I believe a larger diameter improves stability, it'd be a good point to ask the aforementioned experts, as they have experience with motorcycle geometry.

Here's a tip; the rear rim on your bike is a 1.85" ;)
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:13:58 »
when drilling out the screws use a smaller bit ,so you dont drill into the case use a 15/64 inch bit, one size under 1/4" this is all the bigger you need to pop the head off the screw, bonus is it will go in easier
be careful not to loose the ball bearing out the clutch push rod actuator dealy bob
edit redliner beet me to it  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2014, 09:16:30 by xb33bsa »

Offline Redliner

« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:15:19 »

be careful not to loose the ball bearing out the clutch push rod actuator dealy bob

Thank you, I did not want to have to refer to the parts manual for the pointless technical names ;D

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:26:31 »

Replace the swing arm bushings with brass. They're a slight interference fit, so you'll need to freeze the brass and heat the swingarm and press the two together, preferably without just beating it in.

As for wheels, I don't believe you'll comfortably fit more than a 1.85" rim on the front with a 3.00" tyre. 2.15" on the rear with a 90 or 100mm with 90% profile would be the max. I'd prefer a 90 back there. If the rubber is too wide, you lose sidewall structure.

Thanks as always for your advice! I did actually hear about the brass bushings and was planing on doing that. I saw a guy on Youtube who did exactly what you mentioned (froze the bushings and heated the swing arm), so I was fully planing on doing just that, so thanks for confirming my thoughts. Any idea where I can source these brass bushings? Or do I need to fabricate?

As for the rims/tires, I have already fully researched and got some great advice from some experts. I ordered a 90/90 front on an  18x1.85" rim and a 90/100 rear on an 18x2.15". An experienced rim maker named Kennie Buchanan of Buchanan Spokes told me from personal experience that this combination works perfectly for this bike as he owns one himself. Great guy! Super helpful.

I think I saw a ball in your clutch throw-out lever, is this correct? If so, keep track of this and make sure it's still round.
I also see that your clutch rod has a ball-end. You do not need this ball if you have this ball end. In my experience you won't be able to properly adjust the clutch if you have it and don't need it, or need it and don't have it. Did you ever kick the bike over to feel compression with the ball fitted?

when drilling out the screws use a smaller bit ,so you dont drill into the case use a 15/64 inch bit, one size under 1/4" this is all the bigger you need to pop the head off the screw, bonus is it will go in easier
edit redliner beet me to it  :)

Guys  :o .. I think I lost the ball bearing! It was only until after I had taken off the cover that I noticed in the manual there was a small ball bearing in that "dealy bob" thing! I went back to the cover and looked at the assembly and didn't see it. It MAY just be camouflaged in grease from the chain/sprocket.. I don't know. How bad is this if I lost it? I know it's a "Steel Bearing #10 5/16" at least that's what the Fiche says.. oops  :-[ Are they replaceable? I have to imagine that there must be a replacement somewhere on this earth.. but where!?  ???

Thanks again for your input guys.
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:21:04 »
IT'S TAUNTING ME!!!!

Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:08:31 »
Read my first reply to your video, post 34, about the ball.

I'm running the exact same rim/tyre setup on a Black Bomber now.

Offline alzcbz

« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:24:43 »
Yes you need it and it is just a common 5/16" steel ball bearing. Probably pick up at any local hardware if you can't find it.
73 CL350 Hardtail somethin turned into café
99 ZRX1100-Green
73 CB350G-Sold
89 Hawk GT Race bike-Sold
89 TRX250R-Sold