www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 75783 times)

Offline Redliner

Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:27:05 »
He doesn't need it if his rod has a ball-end. He can't find it likely because it's not there. I've heard this happen quite a few times.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:29:08 »
I'll take some close ups next time and you can see closer and explain more because I'm still a bit unclear. Either way, sounds like it's easily replaceable if I DO need it.. Cheers guys.
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline DrJ

« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2014, 13:01:03 »
You can find that ball bearing at any bicycle shop.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2014, 14:26:54 »
I'll take some close ups next time and you can see closer and explain more because I'm still a bit unclear. Either way, sounds like it's easily replaceable if I DO need it.. Cheers guys.
yes you need it but dont fret about it till you get ready for assembly
if it is still there a maggot on a stick will pull it outta the greese fer safe keaping

Offline Redliner

1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2014, 14:28:58 »
if it is still there a maggot on a stick will pull it outta the greese fer safe keaping

Now THAT'S one helpful larva ::)
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2014, 15:12:25 »
Happy Holidays everyone and Happy New Year!

For my 5th session, I took the engine out of the frame and removed the front fork assembly. The engine was pretty tricky to take out seeing as I had to use my dads car jack! With my dad steadying the frame I was able to slide it out. Good thing for the manual on this one as it said to take the engine out from the right side. I did not realize the frame was lower on that side, making engine removal easier, until I removed the engine. Another reason to always look at the manual ahead of time.. Learning that more and more as I go.

Really excited to see the engine out and the frame bare!! So many things I can move on with now like modifying the frame to fit a hoop and custom seat. I am really looking forward to using the angle grinder on that!

Here's my exploits in engine and fork removal:

here's some pics:

Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2014, 16:10:29 »
But sometimes the manual do lie.

The manual was written when the bike was fresh and all the testing and experimenting that was done was Honda's own. After 50-years, some ole farts have found what works best. As well, we now strictly use unleaded fuel, which effects some adjustments. Oil has also advanced.

Then there are discrepancies. Sometimes a manual will simply have a typo or incorrect procedures. It's good to have several manuals so you can cross-check them. The pre-K4 Honda manual is inconsistent in some regards to the K4 manual. Usually, you'll go with the later one, but sometimes they are model-specific.

I know it's confusing, but you'll eventually have a basic sense of what goes where and when.

Here's an example.

I don't know what octane rating you use there, but I doubt you will need 98 (R+M)/2.

I get this a LOT. I ask a customer "do you have fresh fuel in the tank." "YEP! Just filled up with premium, no regular crap."

I know the manual says 91-95 octane, too lazy to look, but that's the RON number. Most pumps will use the average of RON and MON, so at a pump that says (R+M)/2, 87 or 89 would be equivalent to the manual's RON number.

The idea is to use the lowest octane you can without knocking. No knock, no worries.

Also, premium does not "burn cleaner" than regular or lower octane fuels. So don't feel like you're feeding your bike crap just because it's cheep, and smile at the chump that's pouring "premium" into his Nissan.

Offline TheCoffeeGuy

• Books, Books, Books, knowledge is within
    • The Coffee Guy's Blog
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2014, 16:38:19 »
Buy some metric sockets.
www.thecoffeeguy.ca Not your ordinary Blog site.

1968 Harley Aermacchi ML 125 Rapido, restored
1972 Honda Cl 450 engine rebuild, a day rider soon, now sold
1980 Suzuki GS850GL Street Brat  My other day bike
2000 Harley 1200 Sport S My day bike
1982 Honda CB650 Chopper light

Offline ApexSpeed

• ApexSpeed.com
« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2014, 17:55:27 »
Great fun to follow, as this same bike will be my target next spring for my first rebuild. And Redliner, PLEASE keep offering advise and comments—your experience and insight is invaluable not just to Tony, but a lot of other greenhorns, as well. Two thumbs up.

Buy some metric sockets.

I thought I was the only one cringing at the Imperial tool choices. Also, JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers and JIS bits on an impact screwdriver will be a big help to you, Tony. They aren't regular Phillips screws on the old Japanese bikes, which is why they are all stripped out. The right tools for the job make everything easier (grandpa was right). Hope this helps.

doug
1973 Honda CL350 K5

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2015, 03:00:25 »
As usual, thank you for the advice everyone! Really appreciate the feedback and sharing of knowledge, it's all really helpful.
Wrench it Up!