www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: The Stock Bike  (Read 13130 times)

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
Re: The Stock Bike
« Reply #50 on: Jun 24, 2015, 21:11:57 »
Temporary Cylinder heads installed, as well as fenders and controls mocked up.  The reliefs bent into the fork brace portion of the front fender  for the stock brake lines will have to get flattened out, and the fitment adjusted, but good enough to get an idea.  Headlight is a SOHC Honda 750 replica.  Notice I have not yet put the screens in the brake backing plate, and you can see the gratuitous “custom brake stay arm” I whittled up out of aluminum.  The stock one is heavy, and I thought the “speed holes” balance out the drilled disc nicely.  Lots still to do, but coming along!
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015, 11:59:49 by jpmobius »
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #51 on: Jun 25, 2015, 11:38:37 »
very clean.
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #52 on: Jun 25, 2015, 12:07:37 »
So I’m looking at some of these photos from a pretty fresh perspective, having not seen them for some time and it struck me how unattractively dowdy this bike looks in its present form.  As a rule I have a mental picture of what whatever I am building will look like when completed, so in the main it does not strike me how unappealing things look along the way.  Well it occurred to me that less experienced folks might not easily see past the functional hardware on their own projects and make poor choices making changes or even discarding components like fenders in the name of aesthetics.  I thought this bike in this condition was a good example.

With a more objective eye, it really struck me how un-sporty and low performance this bike looks.  The bars look really high and wide and out of place, and those fenders!  No doubt the contrast of the comparatively bright grey epoxy to the black everything else magnifies the effect, but they sure do look absurdly overlarge, and surely an attractive motorcycle cannot be concocted around them.  I can see getting pretty discouraged – hard to keep working enthusiastically when it looks like your grandma should be riding it!

Whether that turns out to be true or not likely depends on who you ask, but I thought it a good thing to consider at this stage.  I think the completed bike turned out rather differently than how it looks here, despite the fenders staying exactly the same.  A good motorcycle has high performance parts – including high performance fenders.  Hopefully these high performance fenders will actually look a bit more high performance in the end.  With any luck I will get this thread completed in the next few days – and you can judge for yourself!
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015, 12:11:19 by jpmobius »
Mobius

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
« Reply #53 on: Jun 25, 2015, 12:54:43 »
I guess throwing the tank on will answer a lot of those questions straight away. :-)
Great build and beautiful exhausts. They scream 2 stroke performance.
The tank and color scheme will have to be as "performance based" as the motor - what were your ideas regarding those? But yeah, that's my subjective opinion - as you say... :-)
Love the details you've got going here.

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #54 on: Jun 25, 2015, 14:17:56 »
very clean.

I guess throwing the tank on will answer a lot of those questions straight away. :-)
Great build and beautiful exhausts. They scream 2 stroke performance.
The tank and color scheme will have to be as "performance based" as the motor - what were your ideas regarding those? But yeah, that's my subjective opinion - as you say... :-)
Love the details you've got going here.

Thanks Guys.  Yea, I am quite pleased with the pipes.  They are biased a bit toward high rpm power compared to the cylinder porting, but still are pretty practical considering.  They fit the aesthetic requirements I had as well mimicking the chrome OEM pipes with the polished stainless, and also have a smoother, more manufactured quality than most of the options.  I didn't want a hand made look regardless of the craftsmanship.  This bike gets an RD400 tank - totally stock except for the paint and mounts, and a solo very cafe' looking custom seat.  There is not really a color scheme but the graphics are the same as a '74 RD350 but scaled a bit differently - trying to retain the OEM flavor.  My main point was trying to demonstrate that despite the fairly overwhelming appearance and nearly full size of the fenders now, they will (hopefully) seem much less prominent on the finished bike and their presence does not detract from the overall appearance of the bike - at least that is the goal.
Mobius

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #55 on: Jun 25, 2015, 14:56:19 »
Onward.  Fabricated a mounting plate for the electrics out of a piece of scrap aluminum.  Not much to it – just a little solid state regulator and CDI box.  Rd’s vibrate rather fiercely so I will rubber isolate the whole works.
Mobius

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #56 on: Jun 25, 2015, 14:58:59 »
Here it is installed.  The bottom mounting bolt uses the original mount for the factory side cover, and I made it long enough to double as a stud to mount the cover with a nut.  You can also see the rear brake light switch mounted and the long actuating wire/spring I twisted up out of some stainless wire.
Mobius

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #57 on: Jun 25, 2015, 16:47:56 »
Yep... that's the result of discipline and a quality environment. Nice work mang  :o
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Dale

« Reply #58 on: Jun 25, 2015, 17:14:56 »
Nice bracket.
The RD 400 tank will look fantastic...
This is great quality build mobius.
Subscribed. - But I guess it's gonna all be over pretty soon :-)

Offline Dale

« Reply #59 on: Jun 25, 2015, 17:17:16 »
Btw, is that a bug eye sprite in your avatar? At first I thought it was a triumph TR, then a Healy ... But then saw the plate ?