Track Bike - h2b 750 Triple aka. 'Mongrel'

Drewski

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, I have another minor announcement. The 'Mongrel' is headed for the track! :) Not totally stripped down, but off the street and on to the track none-the-less. :)

This is the 'old' build thread if you'd like some background on this project.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=5411.0

It's been a long journey with a number of twists and turns. :D

Here is what it last looked like, set up for the street. :D

Now, the track-prep begins. Off with the mirror, lights, etc.

Trying out a few other ideas.

I kinda like the last pic as a stop-gap style, but I think I'm leaning towards adding a 1/2 fairing something like this:

So, there you have it for now.

Not a 'race-bike' but hopefully down the road, more than your average 'street-bike.' :D

I like no plastic, superbike style... I would even go as far as putting a top clamp on and supperbike bars to add some grip for "when" the H wiggles out of the apex.

Now this is because im old and like it in the raw so you go with what suits you (not that my blab is heard) and most importantly... have a blast mang :eek:

P.S. if your running secondary side panels put a few angled strips of grip tape on both sides, use a little clear fingernail polish along the edges to help them from peeling...ok ok :-X :-X :-X

JustinLonghorn said:
I like the full faired look, sir.

Thank you Justin. :D

Tune-A-Fish said:
I like no plastic, superbike style... I would even go as far as putting a top clamp on and supperbike bars to add some grip for "when" the H wiggles out of the apex.

Now this is because im old and like it in the raw so you go with what suits you (not that my blab is heard) and most importantly... have a blast mang :eek:

Honestly, the "H" doesn't wiggle much set up like it is. Now, I'm not pushing it to the ragged edge like a real racer would, but even in bumpy turns and on straights under acceleration, it performs admirably. I've been pretty cautious in my first track forays, to gradually explore the Mongrels 'limits'. At least it's limits in my hands. I've gone all the way to the edge of my comfort level and a wee bit beyond with no issues. It's quite surprising really. I know what the stock h2 feels like too. Had one "back in the day." It could be frightening to ride down the driveway. ;)

I'm a big fan of superbike bars but because the kz550 has 'em, I'm not in a hurry to do that to the Mongrel. I think clip-ons with a fairing are in it's future. :D

I will have a blast, you can count on that. ;D

Tune-A-Fish said:
P.S. if your running secondary side panels put a few angled strips of grip tape on both sides, use a little clear fingernail polish along the edges to help them from peeling...ok ok :-X :-X :-X

Tune, I'm not sure I get where you're comin' from here? Do you mean the side covers? Can you explain it further? ??? Thanks! :)

Drewski said:
Tune, I'm not sure I get where you're comin' from here? Do you mean the side covers? Can you explain it further? ??? Thanks! :)

Yep side covers... if your not using the nicely painted street panels, a little grip tape adds... well some grip and can take some pressure off the hips around the turns sorta naturally pulls the bike down right in the sweet spot. Using your pelvis and hips for braking rather than palms and wrists tends to fatigue the mid section faster and any relief will have you out for more laps in practice and less tired at the end of a race.

Hey good call there Tune! :D Only thing is, I'm not racing. ;D I'm not pushing for the best times on the course. At least, not yet. ;) ;D

Fatigue isn't really a huge issue for me at track days. 15 minutes at-a-time of quick laps is surprisingly tiring, but not in a bad way. :D After a day, it's a really pleasant feeling of accomplishment accompanied by the same "kind of tired" I'd feel after a playing of pick-up hockey. I like that. 8)

I'll keep that little 'advantage' in the 'bag of tricks' for later tho. :D

Anybody else have any 'hot lap' set up or riding tips to offer? 8) I'm all ears. :D

No tips drew but your triple is one of a kind. Someday I'll get mine to handle the way I'd like it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sad and happy all at the same time. This is one of my favorite bikes here as it sits at the top of the page. But it's really cool you're making it into a track bike. Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's at least balls out.

triplesNtwins said:
No tips drew but your triple is one of a kind. Someday I'll get mine to handle the way I'd like it to.

deviant said:
I'm sad and happy all at the same time. This is one of my favorite bikes here as it sits at the top of the page. But it's really cool you're making it into a track bike. Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's at least balls out.

Thanks boys! :D

This forum is one of the best around. I've always been inspired and encouraged by the folks at DTT. 8)
As well, it's always a pleasure to connect face-to-face from places like the Tim Horton's at Lakeshore and Leslie in Toronto, to Mid-Ohio and Barber. :D

You're good people... I appreciate you all. 8)

We'll do our best to keep the Mongrel relevant as a track bike too. It may not be the prettiest or the fastest but it'll always be one of the funnest! :D

triplesNtwins said:
What pipes are you running? If you don't mind me asking.

Those are Canadian designed and made WTF's. DTT's 'Walms' is the designer. :D

Awesome. I have three the into one wtfs waiting to mounted, with 34mm carbs. Waiting for a crank rebuild first before I start exploring more power.

Weather permitting, we'll be hitting the track next Saturday. :D

We'll get some pics and report back in a week. :) 8)

That beautiful mongrel will make an enviable track bike Drewski, does it mean you are sidelining the 550?

p.s. Half fairing.

canyoncarver said:
That beautiful mongrel will make an enviable track bike Drewski, does it mean you are sidelining the 550?

p.s. Half fairing.

Thank you Sir! :D I'm keeping both for the track. My only really solid reason for banishing the Mongrel to the track is because of the high insurance costs of keeping 3 bikes on the street. :p I've still got my custom kz1000 and the zrx for street duties. Insurance is a killer here in Ontario. :-\

I like the 1/2 fairing too. ;D

Hi Drew,
I love the big H2R fairing, but in reality, a half fairing is probably the better choice for a track bike for a whole bunch of reasons.
I make a shorty, frame mounted half fairing that is based on an early '90's CBR 900 upper fairing that might work for the Mongrel. A bunch of the VRRA (and other) guys use them on various bikes, from RZ350's on up. I can do one for you for $140.00 CDN + HST. Windscreens are available cheaply, off ebay.
I've attached a photo of one of the fairings on Dave Minnett's CBR600 Hawk.
The only other comment is, you'll probably need clip-ons to make any frame mounted half or full fairing fit correctly and ... I also carry made in Canada EN Products clip-ons starting at $135.95 CDN + HST (I'll need your clip-ons size requirement)
Two great, made in Canada products for your bike.
Have fun at the track on Saturday. I was going to get out there for a couple of hours, but have a conflict - attending a charity event here in Georgetown at the same time.
Pat
PS why not the big OW ducktail seat?

Attachments

• Dave Minnett 1.jpg
    Dave Minnett 1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 467
  • EN Clip ons first production 1.jpg
    EN Clip ons first production 1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,272
Very cool Pat! I'll keep that fairing in mind! :D

I already have clip-ons on it, so I should be good-to-go!

The OW31 "large" is a little "too large" for the h2! I got it for the bigger, chunkier 'kz1000 Project' I was planning. :p It looks like I'll use the Ducati seat I got from you a while back! ;D

Well, we had a pretty good day on Saturday. The rain fell the night before and held off til around 3pm. I packed up and left then as I had a LOT to do to be ready for a little vacation starting on Sunday afternoon. :)

Just a couple of pics. No action shots unfortunately. ;)

The h2 performed pretty well. No significant hiccups to report. :D I think the engine is ready for a freshen-up though. Maybe a little porting to gain a little h.p. A little more 'umph' in the mid-range would be a blessing on the track for sure. Right now, it's all up top. I have a 1st over set of pistons from Wossner. Hmmm... ;D

Back
Top Bottom