www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1970 Triumph Tiger 650  (Read 27560 times)

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
1970 Triumph Tiger 650
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 00:51:50 »
I took a trip last week to Calif. to pick up my Triumph and Norton/Kawasaki to start the build process. The Norton/Kawasaki will be made roadworthy and then flipped, the Triumph will be my daily driver. First order of business is to swap on a set of dual disc Kimtabs front and single disc rear to replace the stock drums. I've never seen an early Triumph with this set up and think it will look awesome not to mention the added braking ability. The rest of the bike will all be original with the exception of the chrome bits will be powder coated Matte Black.
Gonna flip this 1957 Norton Domi with a 1974 Kawasaki H2 750 motor in it, The fastest motor in the best handling chassis back when it was built in 1980. The owner was killed soon after completing this build when he was making a U-turn on Mulholland on his Ducati and got hit by a car. My brother bought this bike and the Kawasaki frame and some wheel and repair manuals from the estate for $433. My friend bought the Ducati and rebuilt it and flipped it back in 80-81. This bike has been hidden away from human eyes for 35 years.

Then the Triumph that my brother bought the same time I bought my T100 Daytona in 1972.

The Kimtab/dual disc mock up:

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1970 Triumph Tiger 650
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:05:13 »
Wow.Sir count me in!

Offline o1marc

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2016, 17:28:24 »
I got the correct replacement lower legs for the swap and the mismatched springs were coated in a chrome powder that i threw them in with another batch of customer parts.

Got the calipers i'm going to use (ZX1100 Ninja)

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 00:31:14 »
That Norton/Kawasaki is amazing.  I would make that my daily driver.  The Triumph is cool too, just saying. 
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline o1marc

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 21:54:51 »
Dropped the lower legs off at the machine shop today to have the "flats"  milled into the ends of the legs to give the spacers a place to rest and also have the spacers made. I fit the calipers from the Ninja ZX1100 and they will work nicely. Important part is they clear the spokes. I wish I could have a fixed opposed piston 6 pot caliper, but it is what it is.

Mockup with a wood broom handle for an axle, hey it works for mock up.

Offline o1marc

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 20:20:59 »
 Got the lower legs back from the machine shop today, got lucky and they knocked it out over night. Had the flat machined on the inside surface and a couple of wheel spacers to center the wheel:

Caliper mount brackets cut and ready to weld on and that should complete the swap at the wheel.

Just need to fab a sheetmetal bracket for the proportioning valve/splitter under the lower tree.

Offline Shoeman

• My old RD tuning pages from the 90's
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2016, 18:33:09 »
Wow!  Absolute vintage set of SpecII pipes on that triple!   I wonder if that was an off the shelf item back then or if Gary built them especially for this project, given the high mounting positions?  I bet they work very well.   That is a really neat old special you have there.
Geoff
I like cilp-ons, clubman's and superbike bars depending on the bike.  And rear-sets.

Offline o1marc

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2016, 22:12:00 »
Wow!  Absolute vintage set of SpecII pipes on that triple!   I wonder if that was an off the shelf item back then or if Gary built them especially for this project, given the high mounting positions?  I bet they work very well.   That is a really neat old special you have there.
Geoff

Nope, these were a one off set, no one makes a on the shelf set of pipes for an H2 in Featherbed frame. I have spoken to Gary and talked to him about this set he made 35 years ago. They are a nicely engineered set of pipes.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2016, 23:30:00 by o1marc »