www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: "the Mooch"  (Read 19092 times)

Re: "the Mooch"
« Reply #530 on: Jun 11, 2018, 20:11:01 »
We'll find out in a day or two, my friend.

To clarify on your last paragraph on the Republican bit; Dem or Republican, makes no difference to me. Can't hardly stand either. I'm fairly liberal socially. I'm fairly conservative fiscally. All else, I pretty well fall in the middle. I don't want any President to fail in general, and especially not because of their political affiliation. Nor do I see the point in being the eternal pessimist.

As it stands, us blue collar workers, things are looking great. Manufacturing industry is absolutely booming. I've heard more than a few old times say it hasn't been this good since the 80's/early 90's. Just prior to NAFTA.

To the point. Don't lump people into one group or the other simply because they don't share your view on things. That is precisely what lost Hillary the election.

Don't know your affiliations, and I'm not making assumptions nor am I trying to lump you or anyone else into a group, but that is something I have heard repeatedly from people who for some reason or another think that Trump actually has a shot at a Nobel Prize. And the people who are pushing for Trump to have a shot at the Nobel Prize -- before he actually does anything -- are the Republican leadership and his base. I'm also not one to be eternally pessimistic, nor do I wish for things in the US to go down the toilet, but honestly -- this shouldn't be the new normal. People who try to portray the man as idiosyncratic or somehow acceptable because the economy hasn't tanked and he's going to meet with Kim Jong Un (something, BTW, conservatives had a shitfit about when Obama mulled it over).

But again, there is undeniable racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, misogyny, etc., coming from the White House, as well as proven corruption, almost certain collusion with Russia, and almost certain obstruction of justice. Glad that the economy is doing well, but c'mon -- doesn't any of this bother you?
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #531 on: Jun 11, 2018, 20:31:17 »
Serious question:  What has Trump done to affect any boom in the economy?  The GDP is at 2.3% for Q1 in 2018, which matches the GDP for all of 2017.  The best it's been since the 80s is 1996 - 2000, where it hovered above 4% and nearly reached 5% in 1999.  Everything tanked in 2001 and stayed that way for a few years until 2005.  Then 2007 happened and it really tanked.  We haven't hit 3% GDP since 2005, and the closest we came is 2015 when TPP and the Iran deal happened. 

Most economist describe our current situation as "not bad", which is a little bit different than saying it's good or great. 

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #532 on: Jun 11, 2018, 20:41:06 »
Serious question:  What has Trump done to affect any boom in the economy?  The GDP is at 2.3% for Q1 in 2018, which matches the GDP for all of 2017.  The best it's been since the 80s is 1996 - 2000, where it hovered above 4% and nearly reached 5% in 1999.  Everything tanked in 2001 and stayed that way for a few years until 2005.  Then 2007 happened and it really tanked.  We haven't hit 3% GDP since 2005, and the closest we came is 2015 when TPP and the Iran deal happened. 

Most economist describe our current situation as "not bad", which is a little bit different than saying it's good or great.
I think it's mainly a shift in where it's happening. Manufacturing is booming unlike it has in many, many years.

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #533 on: Jun 11, 2018, 21:32:19 »
I think it's mainly a shift in where it's happening. Manufacturing is booming unlike it has in many, many years.

I will be interested to see what the effects will when the exemptions on steel/Al end on july 1st.
Also wondering how the construction was affected by the lumber tariffs.

I know that the price of a market Hog went from 200-150 in 4 weeks after china announced retaliation tariffs...

Donít be blinded
Lots of people will loose money here
Most often itís the consumer at the end, some times the producer eats the loss (nobody eats losses like a pig farmer)
This is a tax in disguise

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #534 on: Jun 11, 2018, 21:39:04 »
I will be interested to see what the effects will when the exemptions on steel/Al end on july 1st.
Also wondering how the construction was affected by the lumber tariffs.

I know that the price of a market Hog went from 200-150 in 4 weeks after china announced retaliation tariffs...

Donít be blinded
Lots of people will loose money here
Most often itís the consumer at the end, some times the producer eats the loss (nobody eats losses like a pig farmer)
This is a tax in disguise
It'll only hurt those that buy imported material. All my aluminum comes from Kaiser. Every stick stamped "Made in USA." No noticeable increases yet, don't expect to see any.

I posted a link a page or two ago, China's trying to buy their way out of tariffs. If they do, which is what we want, to lessen the trade imbalance, they pledged to buy billions in additional pork products.

Lumber will rise. It went up considerably beginning of the spring, as it always does. Round about $1 a stud increase then.

« Reply #535 on: Jun 12, 2018, 11:58:29 »
Interested in some takes on Singapore.

It seems that the only positive from the meeting seems to be the fact that they met, and it seems they have walked back from the belligerent talk that defined their relationship. But walking up to the brink was also instigated by the both of them, so that doesn't seem so much like progress but rather a return to the status quo. Those whoa re thinking positively think that it could be the start of a new dialogue, but here are some quotes from Trump's post-meeting news conference:

"I think heíll do it. I really believe that, otherwise I wouldnít be doing this. I really believe, and ó it was really the engine-testing site, in addition to all of the other things that theyíve agreed to do. It was the ó they have a very powerful engine-testing site, that again weíre able to see because of the heat that it emits. And, yeah, Iím able to ó Iím very happy, Iíll tell you what, Iím very happy with those two points, the two points you mentioned, but I think you might be referring to the thing thatís not in, which is the engine-testing site.

Honestly, I think heís going to do these things. I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, hey, I was wrong ó I donít know that Iíll ever admit that, but Iíll find some kind of an excuse."

Many think Trump got played.
-- The meeting itself was recognition of the status as an equal of a brutal military dictatorship with a nuclear arsenal.
-- Trump gave up a lot, without getting a lot. Halting exercises with S Korea, providing security assurances to N Korea, and what the US got was the same vague promise since 1992 to denuclearize. Trump apparently believes this is a huge and new concession; it is not. Bilateral military exercises act as the chief deterrent to a belligerent North Korea -- South Korea and Japan are, as you would imagine, extremely nervous about this. China, however, is very happy about this.
-- There is no wording of a timetable, no concrete promises of how this will proceed, no language on halting testing, nothing about making a declaration of what it has, in terms of nukes.
-- Kim Jong Un promised to return American remains from the war -- but this is repeating a pledge made repeatedly since the 1980s.
-- Kim Jong un comes out glowing in the PR department, with Trump crowing, "He's a very talented man," " I like him," "He's smart and loves his country very much." This is a man who holds the reins of a brutal military dictatorship, who has murdered political enemies including relatives, and whose people live in an Orwellian society based on fear through propaganda and force. Trump thinks he's smart and talented, and likes him.
-- Contrary to high hopes -- there has been no announcement of the end of the Korean War. Nobel hopes dashed?
-- Trump did not prepare for this meeting, and it showed. Trump got played.
-- Iran sent a message to Kim warning him that Trump pulls out of treaties at the drop of the hat.

Optimists are saying this is the start of ongoing negotiations. If so, I hope the Trump administration prepares for the next round and is actually able to win concessions.

I'll leave you with this, straight from Trump's mouth:

"I told him, ďYou may not want this. You may want to do a much smaller version of this. I mean, youíre going to do something, but you may want to do a smaller version. You may not want that, with trains, super everything at the top. And maybe you wonít want that.Ē
"Itís going to be up to them. Itís going to be up to the people, what they want. And they may not want that, and I understand that too. Itís a version of what could happen, what could take place As an example. they have great beaches. You see that whenever theyíre exploding their cannons into the ocean, right? I said ďBoy, look at that view. Wouldnít that make a great condo?Ē And I explained, I said, instead of doing that you could have the best hotels in the world right there. Think of it from a real estate perspective. You have South Korea, you have China and they own the land in the middle. How bad is that, right? Itís great."

"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #536 on: Jun 12, 2018, 12:42:13 »

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #537 on: Jun 15, 2018, 18:55:13 »
ďRide like the WindĒ W.H.

« Reply #538 on: Jun 15, 2018, 21:40:52 »
If this is a "witch hunt" they seem to keep finding witches.

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #539 on: Jun 15, 2018, 21:54:42 »
ďRide like the WindĒ W.H.